Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2017, 10:34   #16

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner
Re: Keeping clothes dry

dmksails,
Something I read in your original post has me a little concerned, and it's something I learned the hard way also when I started sailing in the north atlantic.

You meantioned having enough clothes for layers of clothes. This is wrong, in the high latitudes you want proper weather gear">foul weather gear. When the wind is blowing, it won't matter how many layers of clothing you have on, you will freeze.

For each person you want 1 wind breaker, 1 inshore jacket and bib, 1 offshore jacket and bib, and you want a mustang float jacket and bib, and if you are in REALLY icy weather, you will want the one piece mustang survival suit. If you are suited up properly, you should be able to wear a pair of jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt and then just put on the right set of gear for the conditions. This keeps you mobile and able to move without restriction, and it will keep your warm and dry. In sub-zero weather with the wind blowing, you'll be nice and hot inside your mustang survival suit and your movement will be the least restricted it can be without sacrificing your very important body heat.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:13   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

with my formosa i noticed that before i rebedded everything on topsides my boat was WET inside... that was unacceptable. after i rebedded EVERYTHING the interior was dry but the bilges are still wet.
my clothes are only wet when i leave them on the drying line in rain.
owner before me didnt rebed anything, but spread crystalline cat litter thruout the boat, in all cabinets. yuk
that did not work. at all. rebedding helped a lot.
i had a cal 25 with many topsides leaks, and EVERYTHING inside was soaking wet in a rainstorm. no other time, just in rain.
love my formosa. only time it rained inside was in patricia cane. that storm was a bitch. inside was as wet as outside.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:17   #18

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
love my formosa. only time it rained inside was in patricia cane. that storm was a bitch. inside was as wet as outside.