Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2018, 20:02   #1

Justifying a Liveaboard 3d Printer

Thinking about bringing my 3d printer onboard with my two young kids and wife. We are still in the boat hunting phase (looking for 37-44 blue water cruiser in the US) but I am trying to justify to myself bringing a 3d printer along as my comfort item.

I am trying to justify it taking up valuable space against a teaching tool for my kids who will be homeschooled aboard the boat.

I could see the usefulness of ABS or nylon prints aboard the boat for simple morale improvement projects... I am curious if anyone else has thought of this before or if this is just a terrible idea.

I currently print off a 200x200x200 print bed (Tevo Tarantula for reference) but was considering dipping into the boat savings for something a little bigger/better quality... Although space is a premium of course.

Thanks!
Homeward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 20:16   #2

Re: Justifying a Liveaboard 3d Printer

I like the idea a lot! It is a space consideration more than weight in my mind. I have a delta printer that I would love to have onboard, but space is a question. I'm also a bit concerned about the humidity problems with the filament. I'd also be interested to hear from someone who has done it.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 21:26   #3

Nice, those deltas are usually quite compact (in the X/Z axis...). PLA will have the obvious flaw of degrading quickly in humidity but I've heard that ABS and Nylon fair much better in these environments.. I would also like to hear if anyone currently or previously has 3d printing experience doing the live-aboard lifestyle.

I could see potential in the "see a need, fill a need" role that a 3D printer could fulfill... refits and quick fixes to get back to safe harbor... I dunno, maybe I'm over thinking it.
Homeward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 12:36   #4

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeward13 View Post
Thinking about bringing my 3d printer onboard with my two young kids and wife. We are still in the boat hunting phase (looking for 37-44 blue water cruiser in the US) but I am trying to justify to myself bringing a 3d printer along as my comfort item.

I am trying to justify it taking up valuable space against a teaching tool for my kids who will be homeschooled aboard the boat.

I could see the usefulness of ABS or nylon prints aboard the boat for simple morale improvement projects... I am curious if anyone else has thought of this before or if this is just a terrible idea.

I currently print off a 200x200x200 print bed (Tevo Tarantula for reference) but was considering dipping into the boat savings for something a little bigger/better quality... Although space is a premium of course.

Thanks!
I'm about a hairs breath from doing the same with a TAZ 6. I think its a fine idea as long as you can make room (and power) for it. I'm aware of several boats that carry one.

I think there are plenty of boat knick-knaks you can make for a boat with a 3D printer, and with some of the stronger materials (and better print heads), even some parts for use on the boat.

I'm on a 45' cat though, so have the room.

Regards

Mark.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 13:41   #5
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Can anyone comment on surface finish of 3D printed objects when the printer is located on an inherently unstable footing? I would think that movement of the boat would telegraph right through to the final product.
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 13:50   #6

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Sounds to me a little “ putting the cart before the horse “ Maybe buy a boat first so you know what will fit and how it can be powered.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 14:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeward13 View Post
Nice, those deltas are usually quite compact (in the X/Z axis...). PLA will have the obvious flaw of degrading quickly in humidity but I've heard that ABS and Nylon fair much better in these environments.. I would also like to hear if anyone currently or previously has 3d printing experience doing the live-aboard lifestyle.

I could see potential in the "see a need, fill a need" role that a 3D printer could fulfill... refits and quick fixes to get back to safe harbor... I dunno, maybe I'm over thinking it.
Nylon based filaments will need to be stored in a dry box, or there will be trouble printing with it.

Deltas are my favorite, but they are much taller for the same print area when compared to your classic orthogonal XYZ printers.

Maybe look into a hang printer. Maybe not great for precision, but can be stowed in a small box when not in use, and incredibly inexpensive to build.
BlueChicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard