Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2012, 11:54   #1

Just Starting and Wondering

Well, we are about to purchase our first boat... (1983 Catalina 30).Intent is to live aboard..

..but I am still a little confused on a few things. I know this is going to sound "newbie" but I have to ask.

When you do sea trials, who sails the boat??? If I am doing it then how do I move around and check things out? Who pays if I have an accident? Does the surveyor come along?

When doing a haul out, don't you want it to have a few days to dry the bottom before the surveyor gets there? But they want us to have the survey within a week of today...

I imagine I will have many more questions as time goes on...

Thanks
tmiller1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 12:04   #2

Boat: Morgan 321, BELIEVE
Re: just starting and wondering

Sorry, I cannot answer about the sea trials, but I think blisters and other below the water line issues are easier to identify as soon as the bottom has been pressure-washed. D
Duke 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 13:40   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiller1116 View Post
Well, we are about to purchase our first boat... (1983 Catalina 30).Intent is to live aboard..

..but I am still a little confused on a few things. I know this is going to sound "newbie" but I have to ask.

When you do sea trials, who sails the boat??? If I am doing it then how do I move around and check things out? Who pays if I have an accident? Does the surveyor come along?

When doing a haul out, don't you want it to have a few days to dry the bottom before the surveyor gets there? But they want us to have the survey within a week of today...

I imagine I will have many more questions as time goes on...

Thanks
If there is a broker he should do the sea trial with you or hire a professional captain. No broker then the owner should. It is still the owners boat until you sign off and they and their insurance are responsible.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 16:32   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiller1116

These might be good questions to discuss with your surveyor.

Here's advice one surveyor gives to clients about sea trials: http://www.themarinesurveyors.com/pages/sea%20trial.htm

Remember that you're not the captain during a sea trial; you're the buyer. Helm time is not all that important--getting every system up and running is crucial. Take a notebook and a pen and make notes of everything that doesn't work to your satisfaction. Make sure the sails go up and the boat is tacked a few times so that every winch, rope clutch, turning block, fairlead et cetera is getting used. Can the traveler be adjusted under load? How about the boom vang? Can the backstay be tensioned? Does the autopilot hold a course?

The sea trial is not the survey. Rather, it's a chance to check things underway that can't really be checked at the dock or on the hard. Don't waste time checking things that your surveyor should cover, such as whether the navigation lights work. That's why it's important to talk with your surveyor before you take the boat out and put it through its paces.
Old 13-07-2012, 16:38   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiller1116 View Post
No, they will pull it, pressure wash, the surveyor will inspect the bottom and they'll put it back in. It doesn't take long. Get the surveyor to do the topside stuff before pullout. I'd have a mechanical inspection prior to as well. That way if something is glaring you can cancel the haul out.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 18:18   #6

Boat: Columbia C45 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
No, they will pull it, pressure wash, the surveyor will inspect the bottom and they'll put it back in. It doesn't take long. Get the surveyor to do the topside stuff before pullout. I'd have a mechanical inspection prior to as well. That way if something is glaring you can cancel the haul out.

I'd have the surveyor do the topside stuff and seatrial before pulling. During the seatrial you want to be with the surveyor and go through everything very thoroughly. If it passes all that to your satisfaction and it passes during the pullout while you are paying to pull it that you a satisfied you are going to complete the purchase have the bottom painted as well. Saves you the cost of pulling again to paint the bottom and gives you security of knowing when it was painted.

You definitely want a mechanical survey as well as analysis of the engine and the engine for the gen set if there is one aboard. Remember the idea of a survey is to make sure of the condition of all items, systems, etc.. to finalize your decision to buy the boat.

You also will want to have the seller fix any major items found, I won't nickle and dime them but I'd definitely hold out for major repairs. Remember if you don't have them do it you will wind up doing it out of your own pocket later.
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 21:46   #7

Boat: Gulfstar Sail Master 47
Re: Just Starting and Wondering

After all that is completed dont feel bad re-negotiating the price if need be even if the broker says the seller wont like that. Remember the broker gets paid a percentage of the selling price.
ASIMPLELIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 08:37   #8

Boat: Columbia C45 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASIMPLELIFE View Post
After all that is completed dont feel bad re-negotiating the price if need be even if the broker says the seller wont like that. Remember the broker gets paid a percentage of the selling price.
So very true, always remember the broker is the seller's agent not your agent. As stated their fee depends on how much you pay for the boat, their friendly advice has a hidden motive.
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 08:46   #9

You might be interested in this: International Catalina 30 Association
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 09:07   #10

Boat: Cal 2-27

My opinion is that a lot of what you do prior to purchase regarding inspections depends on your intent. Let me explain.

I sell homes for a living. I also invest. If I were buying a home with intention to remodel the entire home, I don't pay for an inspector to do an inspection.

I just bought my Cal 27. I did not survey. The purchase price along with my intentions did not warrant the expense. For example. I don't care about plumbing or electric, running rigging, sails and many other things. We are going to be doing a total refit of all systems and sails once out in oct. My intention was to get a sound hull and dry core. That's it.

What are you paying for the boat. That also has a lot to do with it. Does it look well maintained? Do you see signs of neglect (needs further eval by a professional). If standing rigging and hull are sound and your intention is to refit, and your purchase price is low. make the call on how thorough you want to inspect.

I see people purchasing homes in investment areas for 20k that need total remodel. Sell for 100k. They should plan on replacing everything in the property at that price.

I paid like 3k for my boat. Did not survey. Already dropped like 5-10k into the boat. Will be doing another 5-8 by the time I'm done.

Well, after telling a few details about my decisions, the main question that I have is.....

What is the purchase price? (are you paying for a perfect boat or one that you intend to totally refit?)
Old 18-07-2012, 09:28   #11

The broker, or surveyor can drive the boat some. You will be wanting to look under deck, engine room etc while underway. The odds of an accident once you are out on the water are pretty slim. At least compared with getting out of the marina etc. If the owner comes along let him drive it out. If you can get him to come... encourage that he does.... owners have a hard time keeping their mouths shut! You'll get the real history of the boat and issues....in fact, tell the broker you want the owner to come.
Have the bottom pressure washed if it is dirty at all. It will start to dry out immediately, but the wet bottom is easier to see blemishes/blisters/repairs on anyway. Watch for the Catalina "smile" at the forward edge of the keel. (google it)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote