Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-06-2016, 07:45   #46

Re: Just purchased first liveaboard, need major refit advice (37' wooden ex fishing b

Good on ye, Mate — the tape measure is yer friend :-)

No, there is no rule for the depth of the countertop. In retrofitted boats, and "owner-fitted" boats, it tends to be "whatever there's room for". Much depends on your personal "style" and the way you order the priorities of your life aboard, which must necessarily be MUCH simpler than your life ashore. For me the priority sequences is: 1) Handling the ship; 2) Navigating; 3) Eating 4) Reading [whether books or computer] 5) sleeping; 6) Cooking; 7) Everything else. In consequence the space below decks is organized to facilitate doing those things in that order of priority.

Though TrentePieds was touted as a "Pilot House Sloop" she isn't. There is no steering station in the house, and I don't want one gobbling up space in such a tiny ship. I can wear my oilies!

Navigation stations are an abomination in most tiny ships. Therefore the one in TrentePieds will become part of the galley to facilitate civilized cooking aboard. In my days of teaching sailing ("crooze'n'learn"s) I liked to wow the students by whipping up something unusual and elegant on a three-burner propane cooker. If you are a good cook ashore, you'll want to set up your galley to reflect that. That includes stowage for the utensils that are essential for civilized cooking. We can talk more about that later. For now, just make mental note that most galleys are too small, then pass on to deal with other stuff.

A separate nav-station is, as I said, an abomination. In your ship, pop a chart-plotter on the ledge by the wheel, but set up so you can use paper charts. Here in Canada we are required by law to navigate by paper charts, and I do that for preference. I cut my charts to a size that fits within the fiddles on my dinette table, so that in effect becomes the nav-station, thereby liberating space for the galley. You are a noob so DON'T deprive yourself of the fundamental skills of pilotage by getting wired on a chart-plotter! The plotter is a handy tool but no substitute for real piloting skills!

You can make a wonderful little ship out of the boat you bought, but you gotta be really, really systematic about analysing and rationalising YOUR "conduct" aboard - the way YOU like to do things. You also need to think about YOUR bodily space requirements in three dimensions, so the arrangements don't impede the things you need to do, the things you want to do and the way you like to do them.

So focus on getting the wheelhouse sorted first. Then you can pass on to other spaces.

You asked about the exhaust. Yes, there are other ways, viz a socalled "wet exhaust". We can come back to that later. Get the wheelhouse sorted!

You asked about a shower: The counsel you had - eschew shower installations - is fundamentally sound, though a shower IS possible, even with plenty of hot water as long as you are alongside. Again, one thing at a time. We can come back to the shower. Get the wheelhouse sorted :-)!

TrentePieds

Old 16-06-2016, 20:59   #47

Re: Just purchased first liveaboard, need major refit advice (37' wooden ex fishing b

I figured this is looking like enough of a project to start a blog about it. Don't mind the sardonic title, I'm really stoked about this project.

My build blog

Old 16-06-2016, 23:47   #48
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

Love the blog, sounds like you are not going in with your eyes closed.

Found this Halvorsen for sale, similar size to your boat. I confess, I am a Halvorsen junkie, once the whole rag and stick thing (sailing) is behind us, a Halvorsen is in one of the three motor boats I would consider for purchase.

Used 1958 HALVORSEN 36 Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au

I don't know much about the climate where you live, so it is worth noting that the Halvorsens are a warmish climate boat, hence the big open areas at the stern, lots of glass and often drop down canvas sides. Having spent many nights aboard the old Halvorsen hire boats on the Hawkesbury River, North of Sydney, Australia, I can tell you that open aft area is what makes the boat.

But what also makes Halvorsens so nice (in my opinion) is the treatment of the interiors. And that interior finish is one of the reasons they were so successful over here in Oz, because they were miles ahead of just about everything else on the water at the time. The Halvorsen brothers figured out you needed to sell the boat to the wife, not just the husband, and they did so, very well.

Anyway, if you look at the photos of the better Halvorsens for sale, you can see lots of details that are easily reproducible. What needed a master cabinet maker back in the 50s and 60s is a lot easier now with modern tools and materials. I have a massive collection of photographs of details of boats I have seen for sale over the years to help me solve my interior fitout dilemmas. Halvorsens account for a good 30% of the collection.

Matt
Old 17-06-2016, 07:40   #49

That IS a luvverly stinkpot!! But USD120K for a '56 WOODEN hull?

Jaws: Go through the pics, and note that the dinette extends inboard from the side of the House right across the centreline! This dinette will seat for in comfort - but not six :-). This is why I asked you to put "helper" lines on your sketch. The Halvorson hull is 11 foot beam. By the time you account for your side decks you are likely to have less.

The focsl in the Halvorson is also very nicely dimensioned for a three berth job. Eyeball that pic also.

TrentePieds
Old 17-06-2016, 07:54   #50

Ah, Jaws!!! I thot I smelled something BC about this :-)!

Where are you at?

TrentePieds
Old 17-06-2016, 18:52   #51
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
That IS a luvverly stinkpot!! But USD120K for a '56 WOODEN hull?

Jaws: Go through the pics, and note that the dinette extends inboard from the side of the House right across the centreline! This dinette will seat for in comfort - but not six :-). This is why I asked you to put "helper" lines on your sketch. The Halvorson hull is 11 foot beam. By the time you account for your side decks you are likely to have less.

The focsl in the Halvorson is also very nicely dimensioned for a three berth job. Eyeball that pic also.

TrentePieds

You are right about the price. Scary. But probably not far from what the boat will sell for. Note I don't say what the boat is "worth" because quite frankly, they are a fuel guzzling slug, are a total bitch to handle, go completely pear shaped in any kind of wave action and require you to buy shares in an anti wood rot company if you wish to recoup some of your costs. Out of the water the hull shape will make you gag and call desperately for someone to, please, put that hideous thing back in the water.

But in the water... Well... True beauty. And the interiors work really well in the Australian climate. Both for living on board and weekending with friends. We've spent weeks on the 25 footer and the boat still felt huge inside after all that time.

I am interested in your point about the side decks taking up space. Hadn't considered that.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-06-2016, 09:18   #52

Boat: Scout 30

Regarding water heaters you want to avoid aluminum tanks like Seaward of Kumho. The Isotemp Spa series is the best deal on a premium marine water heater. Isotemp water heaters are highly rated by Practical Sailor.

Isotemp SPA 40 Marine Water Heater - 11 Gallon

Tags
fish, fishing, liveaboard, purchase, refit

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: