Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-12-2009, 14:04   #1

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Just an Observation

We left Sarasota, Fl this morning after anchoring out for a week and enjoying the town. Since we're in a 63 ft steel shrimp boat thats tough to handle and catches the wind pretty good we prefer to anchor out away from the crowd, so we have been following the Florida anchoring out topics closely. When we first pulled in we saw the town mooring field just off a park and really close to downtown, but it was already crowded with boats so we anchored about half a mile away in front of some condos and a good 600 ft out. After a few days we were visited by the Sarasota Police who wanted to know when we were leaving. They were friendly and polite and told us we were legally anchored but said they were getting complaints.
What troubled me was that when we dinghyed in we went past the mooring field and 80% of the boats were trashed out and being used as squats by people that never used them as boats. In the short time we've been here in Florida we've come across several floating communities of derelict boats, which is OK up a creek, but just doesn't work in downtown Sarasota in an anchorage set up for transient boaters to use when visiting.

Old 22-12-2009, 14:22   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
..... visited by the Sarasota Police who wanted to know when we were leaving. They were friendly and polite and told us we were legally anchored but said they were getting complaints.....
So, did these polite officials tell you why they were passing on this information about the complaints? Were they sharing this just as a matter of interest? I've been very attentive to the nature of these accounts because I have been anchoring regulary in Florida waters since 1972 and, to date, I've never had any official approach me or make any coment. I know these encounters are happening on a regular basis and I'm not sure why I haven't been approached,- maybe 'just lucky! So, since they informed you that you were legally anchored, I assume they had no cause to approach you again or suggest that you move, correct? 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

Old 22-12-2009, 14:44   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Lots of people are whiners. You cant let them dictate your life for you. So long as you are within the law and you are playing by the Golden Rule then that's just tough luck for them. The last time I checked, nobody owns a view.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 16:16   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Same thing happens in Annapolis (on the Severn River) and Baltimore Harbor.....If you anchor in front of a Condo.....The owner or Developer will call "The Man" on you.
Old 22-12-2009, 17:58   #5

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Operative term here is LEGALLY ANCHORED. I you are not breaking any laws then what is the beef, for that matter, where's the beef/

I had a situtation where the cops knocked on my door, and ask about my telephone truck parked in my driveway. standard 3/4 ton pickup with a utility bed and 2 ladders on top. Licenced in the state of Texas as a pickup truck.

I knew of who called in but no matter. I smiled at the officer and ask if she would like a coke, tea, coffee. I ask what law I was breaking, parking a pickup in my driveway. She him-hawed around and I said, well write me a citation. All the time laughing and being pleasant. I also said I expected, in the spirit of fairness for all the other trucks on this and every other street to be ticketed in a likewise manner. I laughed again, (she was smiling) and ask if she really wanted to open that can of worms. She laughed and said no. She left.

That is exactly how I would handle an anchoring situtation as described earlier. As for the condo owner, he/she may think they are the owner of the seas and the bays but I really do not think so. I also suspect I would get real, LEGALLY obnoxious for the remainder of my time at that anchorage.
Old 22-12-2009, 18:10   #6

Boat: SV Quiet Passage
I wonder if there would have been a complaint filed if you were anchored in a pretty sailboat as opposed to a shrimper?
Old 22-12-2009, 18:21   #7

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Have, you considered the possibility that the police might have wanted to check you out, but had no probable cause so they made one up...?
Old 22-12-2009, 18:44   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Operative term here is LEGALLY ANCHORED. I you are not breaking any laws then what is the beef, ..........
......... I also suspect I would get real, LEGALLY obnoxious for the remainder of my time at that anchorage.
As you are legally anchored and without any loss of your rights why would you want to justify the complaint by exhibiting any rude behavior?
Old 22-12-2009, 19:36   #9

Live and let live I say, when I am not let live I tend to look for the soft underbelly...Passive agressive I believe is the term. I do suffer from that affiliction, and after all these years have become quite good at it.

We all gotta have a hobby.
Old 23-12-2009, 03:08   #10
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Live and let live I say, when I am not let live I tend to look for the soft underbelly...Passive agressive I believe is the term. I do suffer from that affiliction, and after all these years have become quite good at it.

We all gotta have a hobby.
sounds like an unhealthy habit-that does your spirit harm!
Old 23-12-2009, 05:32   #11

Spirit harm

Quite right I am sure...I am getting much more easy going in my old age. Years of playing David with the pebble as a Union Rep against ATT made me that way, take the lick, roll with the punch, bait, wait, aggravate then ponce with the inevedable mistake is made. Only way to deal whe the playing field is so tilted.

Case in point about corporate America, the comic strip Dilbert is all about ATT, and it is dead on.

Old habits did hard
Old 23-12-2009, 07:06   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
The trouble in this case is that being obnoxious at anchor makes the complaint real.

Quote:
Spirit harm

Quite right I am sure...I am getting much more easy going in my old age. Years of playing David with the pebble as a Union Rep against ATT made me that way, take the lick, roll with the punch, bait, wait, aggravate then ponce with the inevedable mistake is made. Only way to deal whe the playing field is so tilted.

Case in point about corporate America, the comic strip Dilbert is all about ATT, and it is dead on.

Old habits did hard
Give them no cause what so ever. Better, stay quiety, in perfect harmony.... for just a bit longer. The police will grow weary of wasting their time. Don't make any noise or show dirty laundry or park your dingy where it isn't welcome. If you eat in a restaraunt or buy something in a store, tell the owner that you are anchored out, so they will know we are not free-loaders but simply enjoy the quiet of being at anchor. Show that you are a good citizen enjoying your right to be left alone. We are legion.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 07:11   #13

Boat: O-Day 32 CC Slow Ride
Anchored

I am sure Tempest245 is right, they had no probable cause -- or any cause, probable or not -- to check you out, so they made one up.

Not a big fan of that, kind of un-American.
ďThe credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly.... who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.Ē T.R.
exranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 09:09   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Regardless of what caused the authorities to inquire about the anchoring intentions, "Thinwater's" advice is wise. As most all liveaboard cruisers are honorable and contributing citizens, it's to our advantage to present ourselves as such and not to have people believe that those using derelict boats as low income housing are the standard.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:43   #15

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
we were once visited by the customs and asked what we were doing at anchor. My reply was having lunch before we set off again to enjoy the freedom of the seas. The officer then asked us if he could have a look inside of our boat as he hadent seen one like it before> we obloged and he had a good look. After he had left our boat I asked him why he didnt just ask if he could search our boat and he replied that he didnt have probable cause. My reply was in future just ask if people are not doing anything elegal they wont mind. He departed with a very red face. We departed with full tums and had a lovely sail.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: