Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2011, 08:44   #1

Japanese Livaboards: Cooking and Heating with...

charchoal briquettes...they aparently use a simple ceramic bowl into wich they put a few briquettes for cooking and heating...its said to produce dry heat...anyone ever hear about this?
maybe someone here uses briquettes also?
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 08:52   #2
j0n

Re: japanese livaboards cooking and heating with...

It seems like a bad idea to burn charcoal in the cabin, but if you do, make sure there's a lot of ventilation. People have been known to burn charcoal to kill themselves.
j0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 09:20   #3

Well, I tell ya one thing using charcoal to heat space is dangerous since it produces carbon monoxide, a deadly poison. The lead singer of Boston actually committed suicide that way.

As for cooking, I have seen some special designs that claim you only need like 6 briquets to cook a chicken. But you have to use it outside.
beowulfborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 09:45   #4

ok I agree that carbon monoxide is dangerous...but lets asume that we have enough common sens to use it properly...I mean our ansestors have burned wood for 1000s years...they would laught at briquettes.
stricly speaching convinience wise...briquettes are cheap and green energywise...they also provide more heat then any liquid feuls...and its dry heat.

I have a feeling that we are push to use liquid feul burners mostly because of comercial interests...are they realy safer?
Old 26-02-2011, 09:46   #5

hello Steeve B, we too are living in the deep freeze (in ontario). Charcoal braziers are used in north africa especially for tea and tanjines. Named "kanoun" , they are usually made of unglazed terra cotta. A tunisian friend in toronto sometimes imports them. The other posts are wise though in cautioning about carbon monoxide in the enaclosed space of a vessel.
diama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 09:49   #6

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

We have a small wood stove on board Tivoli and we use charcoal instead of wood to heat the cabin at anchor. It works great, however, it is vented..
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 10:36   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
ok I agree that carbon monoxide is dangerous...but lets asume that we have enough common sens to use it properly...I mean our ansestors have burned wood for 1000s years...they would laught at briquettes.
stricly speaching convinience wise...briquettes are cheap and green energywise...they also provide more heat then any liquid feuls...and its dry heat.

I have a feeling that we are push to use liquid feul burners mostly because of comercial interests...are they realy safer?
Have you noticed how fast the world population has grown since the majority has stopped using wood/charcoal for heat/cooking.

Anything that puts off CO is not green.
Old 26-02-2011, 11:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Have you noticed how fast the world population has grown since the majority has stopped using wood/charcoal for heat/cooking.

sorry I was refering to biomass briquettes same as those from the national geographic study...hoever been reading more on the subject and vote this option out...too dangerous on a boat...would be ok on transom rail tho!!
Old 16-04-2011, 00:53   #9

Boat: Canoe,One Person SailBoat

Quote:

So every thing puts off CO2 and one of the very best ways to cook is over a very nice willow coal fire even fish. For it is very green if you grow your very own willow tree in a 5 gallon buckiet. It makes cooking fish where you do not even have to descal them or take the skin of frist because it will come off real esay after cooking.
NativeUSAindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 01:02   #10

Boat: Other people's!

Quote:

The beauty of using wood vs oil or gas is that when you burn wood you are only releasing the CO2 that it took in to grow. We then grow more of it, capturing the CO2 that we just released. So overall we don't affect the CO2 balance. The CO2 in oil and gas was captured eons ago and so adds to the CO2 load today.
Old 17-04-2011, 21:52   #11

Boat: Canoe,One Person SailBoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteron View Post
The beauty of using wood vs oil or gas is that when you burn wood you are only releasing the CO2 that it took in to grow. We then grow more of it, capturing the CO2 that we just released. So overall we don't affect the CO2 balance. The CO2 in oil and gas was captured eons ago and so adds to the CO2 load today.
Your the Man you win the prize.
The same thing for a Bio-dome.
NativeUSAindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 14:08   #12

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines
Re: Japanese Livaboards: Cooking and Heating with...

If your wife refuses to eat the mushrooms you picked especially for her, or if you can't find an easy way to throw her over the side in the seaway, by all means light her a fire before you head off to the safety of your local bar. You can always tell the coroner that you told her not to light fires onboard...
Old 18-04-2011, 15:19   #13

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

What you are referring to is a hibachi. I would not let anyone use that inside my boat! I do use charcoal in a vented firebox.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 15:37   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

I may be confusing different oriental table top cooking pots - but they get hot. very hot so hot it takes a second or 2 to realise how hot .

so I am told
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 15:37   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to artymac

Common sense.... I'm in my 60's, I've grown up with fires. I have an in-grained respect for it. Ive had a wood burner on my 40ft monohull. I had a barbeque on the cockpit rail burning wood, charcoal,....you name it.
There are people around who have never struck a match. How do they plan for their unforseen dangers of fire?
Horses for courses.....do or not do, and if s*** happens, so long as you have done all you can to be safe, don't fall back on risk assessments and legislation to justify your failure.
artymac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking