Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2016, 09:17   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Is this what living aboard is really like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I envy what you have. If I could think of a way to present my wife with five gallons of liquid sewage slurry and have her compare it to a couple ounces of desiccated solids, I'd maybe have a foothold for debate, but as of yet I haven't been able to convince her to even discuss composting heads.

I need some manner of good presentation. ...... 'hey honey, look at this!

Maybe it will come with a visit to a very nice vessel with a well functioning composting head. I've been aboard some, but she's just using her imagination.
Maybe I should make a video of me cleaning out our holding tank. Looks, smells and feels like potting soil. Nothing offensive or untoward at all. And I can guarantee there will be no gagging in my video .
Old 02-07-2016, 09:19   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

I am not sure why people will do such things or show them on youtube.

One that it is just an ordinary thing: if something breaks, you fix it and that's that, toilet, oil in the bilge or vhf antenna on the top of the mast.

Two that when regular maintenance is done, very few nasty repair jobs crop up. Ask aviation pilots.

So, to me, this looks like a publicity stunt shot in a studio. If the lady has vomiting fits, she should be doing something else, not shooting a video and posting it on youtube.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:22   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Maybe I should make a video of me cleaning out our holding tank. Looks, smells and feels like potting soil. Nothing offensive or untoward at all. And I can guarantee there will be no gagging in my video .
I prefer pushing a button. My wife has two cats, she can doo the scooping.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:40   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Id say make the video. Cause somebody mentioned cleaning the catbox, and my reaction to that job is kinds like that girls reaction to her.......... whatever that was. Is that really the holding system on a boat? Kinda resembles a a small septic system. I kinda thought a boat had a black water tank system more resembling an RV. Which can also be a problem if not properly maintained.(I know this from personal experience. I bought one once that the owner hadn't bothered to dump).
Maybe some Rid-X?

Im pretty sure Im not a fan of scooping my **** like cleaning a catbox, so Im thinking a composting toilet aint for me.
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:03   #20

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I prefer pushing a button. My wife has two cats, she can doo the scooping.
See, you're all set. She can do the scooping .

Of course, I know you know that emptying a composting head bin is nothing like cleaning a cat litter box. It's more like emptying the soil out of a large plant pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedsquid View Post
Id say make the video. Cause somebody mentioned cleaning the catbox, and my reaction to that job is kinds like that girls reaction to her.......... whatever that was. Is that really the holding system on a boat? Kinda resembles a a small septic system. I kinda thought a boat had a black water tank system more resembling an RV. Which can also be a problem if not properly maintained.(I know this from personal experience. I bought one once that the owner hadn't bothered to dump).
Maybe some Rid-X?
I didn't mean to hijack this thread, so instead of answering your query I urge you to start a new thread, or just do a quick search here. Suffice it to say, a composting head avoids the whole black water septic tank problem by approaching the task differently. A composter is really a desiccator, which works by keeping things dry. So you avoid all the problems inherent with liquid sewage.
Old 02-07-2016, 20:08   #21

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Lightweight.

But seriously, that sort of thing won't happen if the system is set up properly and maintained.
As someone who worked in the plumbing and drainage industry, has been around women and children for a long lifetime and around marine toilets for a significant portion of it I would say that you have no idea of the sorts of things people will put into toilets.

Rum was once widely used for it's dulling properties.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 22:17   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
As someone who worked in the plumbing and drainage industry, has been around women and children for a long lifetime and around marine toilets for a significant portion of it I would say that you have no idea of the sorts of things people will put into toilets.

As a landlord, registered nurse and general handyman, oh yes I do.

Tampons and their plastic applicators have caused some big headaches.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:20   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post

My wife used to throw Qtips down the toilet. :face palm:

You can pretty much guess what happened. We had problems for years with the toilet plugging. Finally found out what it was, she stopped doing it, we haven't had a toilet plug up since.
Rum does a good job of dulling me too.
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard