Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 14:52   #1

Boat: triangle pilothouse 32
Is there a Marina Location Like Fernandina Beach ?

I am at Fernandina Beach city marina for the winter. I decided on this location because you are basically living in town. You do not need a car. It is a lovely town, tons of bars and restaurants which I frequent, quaint, and safe. The "publics" and walmart are an easy bike ride. Honestly I would stay forever but there is two things that could use improvement. Most importantly is the 2 huge papermills that are here. They are hard to take, depending on the wind. It is also somewhat colder then I would like, so anywhere south of here is in the right direction. What I really want though is a marina with a great walkable town, lots of restaurants and pubs at my door, I have been to ft Lauderdale and miami, to big, to much crime, expensive. I pay $13.00 a foot here. Maybe St Augustine and Coco Beach? Opinions please. Thanks
squarpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 15:28   #2

Check out Vero Beach - you can stay on a mooring for $15/day. Bus to town for groceries, restaurants, "everything" is free.

St Aug is a great town but won't be any warmer than Fernandina. OTOH, there's a great brewpub just across from the muni marina.
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 15:38   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
There is a small marina in New Smyrna that is right in the middle of town. Several nice little restaurants and bars, and you can walk to the beach side for lots more restaurants and bars. An ABC and a good hardware store are right in town, and the Public, Walmart, etc are a short bike ride away (they are even walkable).

Fort Pierce is another area that has marinas right in town, as does Stuart.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 16:46   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I also like Vero Beach and New Smyrna. Fort Myers, Gulfport, Melboure, Tarpon Springs and Ortega River or River City Brewing in Jacksonville also have town center access.
Old 02-01-2011, 17:06   #5

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
We were docked in Fernandina Beach for five months a couple year's ago and loved it. Can't wait to go back and hang out at O'Kane's. Best Irish pub in the U.S.

However, we share you concerns about the paper mills and the cold. A nice walkable town is St. Augustine. The city just put out a new mooring field that looks to be affordable. Check it out. We will be there next month.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 18:01   #6

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Which of the 8 national flags do you fly?
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 19:46   #7

New Smyrna Beach.
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 14:19   #8

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
Stuart has everything you want and more. Its warmer, beautiful riverwalk area with a park, shops, outdoor cafes, etc. Can walk to Walmart, Publix, ACE hardware, hospital; shuttle available if you desire. Moorings available, most new and nice marina.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:28   #9

Thank you all for the reply's I am going to check out these destination, for possible relocation next year. We definitely need a marina as opposed to a mooring.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:13   #10

If you want to try the FL Gulf Coast, try the marina we are in - Pasadena Marina. Nice and small, walk to everything, pool, free WIFI, etc. Less than $13 a foot too.
COCG47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 10:52   #11

Looked at St Augustine last weekend. The city marina looks like what I am looking for in terms of location, was somewhat more expensive then Fernandina, Does not have the paper mill issue, however I actually like the town of Fernandina better. St Augustine is just full of an endless stream of tourists. Fun for the day (when your one of them ) but a turn off over the long run. Town has some of that fake feel to it. No one mentioned Coco beach, is there anything there? I'll continue to look at your suggestions, Thanks again
Old 13-01-2011, 11:07   #12
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
How about Daytona Beach Municipal Marina?
Old 13-01-2011, 11:30   #13

I have not been down to look at the marina in Daytona. I did visit that town quite a number of years ago and seem to remember it was kind of a seedy. I don't remember thinking highly posative things about it and I have not been back since. Maybe that is changed or my perceptions will be different. I will be going down that way so I should stop and see. Any thoughts on Daytona?
Old 13-01-2011, 11:40   #14

I guess it depends what you like but for my taste you are no where near far enough south to enjoy the warm weather you need to be south of central fl the keys are great
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 11:47   #15

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Simpson Bay in Sint Maarten/ Saint Marten. Too far South? You can go every where by dinghy, no charge to anchor on the French side. Every boat need available, low price beer and booze. Easy access from airport to anywhere. Warm weather as well.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote