Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2019, 00:44   #46

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Re: Is there a Dingy that doesn't sink when rain water collects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I beg to differ.

I think RIB stands for Rigid, Inflatable Boat. The alloy monster is rigid and a boat but you don't inflate it. Perhaps RPPB, Rigid, Preformed,Pressurized Boat would be appropriate.

Can you imagine what it would look like if you folded it up then unfolded it and inflated it a few times. Wrinklier than granpa.

You clearly underestimate my willingness to scrape the bottom of a barrel to win an internet fight on a technicality

Anycase, was never much enamoured of inflatable ribs... if it is fully inflating then you can store it in a transom but even on our fairly roomy boat, that transom is FULL with stuff to cruise around the world. If it has an alu or fibre floor it behaves better on the water but deflating the tubes does zero good to store it, which is why most if not all solid bottom RIBS are stored fully inflated on the deck or davits. So when you get to that point, may as well ditch the air pump, patch kit, and sweaty armpits when approaching an old nail-studded dock or sea of raised props, and go full solid
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 03:33   #47

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
You clearly underestimate my willingness to scrape the bottom of a barrel to win an internet fight on a technicality

Don't mind a bit of a scrap myself but if you really revel in a keyboard rumble you could go over to the refrigeration threads.

Anycase, was never much enamoured of inflatable ribs... if it is fully inflating then you can store it in a transom but even on our fairly roomy boat, that transom is FULL with stuff to cruise around the world. If it has an alu or fibre floor it behaves better on the water but deflating the tubes does zero good to store it, which is why most if not all solid bottom RIBS are stored fully inflated on the deck or davits. So when you get to that point, may as well ditch the air pump, patch kit, and sweaty armpits when approaching an old nail-studded dock or sea of raised props, and go full solid
My last dingy was plate alloy with a 9.8 hp outboard. Positively scary when flat out and tough as hell but also very heavy and hard on the paintwork. Decided I wanted something lighter and on a davit on this boat so went with poly.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 04:21   #48
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Apparently a lot of folks don't know the difference between the terms "sink" and "swamp."

Typically all small dingies will swamp eventually when filled with enough rain water. But most all have enough inherent flotation to stay at the surface with enough reserve boyancy to cover an outboard (if not oversized.)

If your dinghy 'sinks" ie goes to the bottom then that is a serious problem. If it is just swamped, well that is why a bailer of some type is required equipment. An old OJ bottle or milk jug with the bottom cut off is all you really need. Failing that take off your shoe and start tipping water over the side.

If this is all too much for you to deal with then maybe boating is not your thing. Stay on dry land and watch cartoons..
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 12:46   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Normal hard rain will put several inches into a dinghy.
The easiest way to get it out is to get it barely on plane, bow high, and pull the plug. The water will all run out, then put the plug back in.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 04:57   #50

Boat: PDQ Capella 36

OP mentioned it was a porta-bote that sunk. These will float when filled with water: mine went full submarine while underway, came back to the surface when we stopped. Not with a motor on though, this would be too much.

I love that tugging powered bailer.
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 06:31   #51

Boat: seafinn 411

Boston waler
seafinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 06:42   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Morgan 41' OI / Oday 22’ Keel Boat

9’ Boston Whaler Squal - Carolina Skiff - (they don't call them defltables for nothing - bring your patch kit.......)
Anjin San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 06:51   #53

The Bullfrog line of boats is unsinkable!
I have had mine fill with water to the transom numerous times it then self bails with 150 gal remaining in boat floating.
Truly extraordinary boat
Bullfrogboats.com
Mine is a 15 w a 50, Honda they make 10/11.13 15 17 and 20 ft
Last one u will ever need .
I am selling mine for a smaller one to load on deck .
It’s also indestructible Aluminium bottom HDPE hull.
nm55raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 08:17   #54

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

Boston Whaler
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 08:58   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35

This faq page provides some good information: Inflatable boats (aka "deflatables") versus the rugged, unsinkable Portland Pudgy safety dinghy
Fi2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 09:03   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35

"The Portland Pudgy safety dinghy was tested by the US Coast Guard at 557 lb of buoyancy. Carrying this load, there’s still over ten inches of freeboard. In the USCG test it took an incredible 1855 pounds of weight to submerge (not sink) the dinghy."
Fi2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 09:13   #57

Boat: cape dory 31

Ditto svHyLyte. I've used an EasyBailer and a homemade copy of it for a decade. It's the real deal. One time I swamped the (hardshell) dingy; the battery had enough power to completely empty the boat even though the unit was submerged. I use Velcro strips to keep the pump and the small solar panel in place. Also, I have had no problems with debris clogging the intake. Consider, too, that fresh water from a rain rinses salt from the system. All parts are replaceable.
I smile (to myself) when I see neighboring inflatables, Whalers, etc. with 6 inches of rain sloshing around as I fire up and go off with dry(ish) feet.

Link to the Practical Sailor review on svHyLyte's post.

https://easybailer.com/
snippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 09:26   #58

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

Nice cover would solve your problem...
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 10:10   #59

Boat: Seawinds 1160 38' catamaran, In Tandem

Look at the Caribe line of dingies; they have a solid molded hull that prevents leakage around the tube seals, and has a drain plug that is self-bailing even with the motor attached.
Vick Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 10:24   #60

Just pull the plug out bro. It won’t sink without plug and the water level won’t raise above a very low level. Believe me,I know, from Seattle. Haha
ElVikingo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water