Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 29-07-2013, 14:31   #1

Is My Dream Possible?

Hello everybody. I've always dreamed with roaming the seas endlessly, stopping only occasionally at some ports. I am quite an introverted person, so I won't really miss the contact with other humans and I love the sea with all my heart, especially the Mediterranean.

My dream is to buy a sailing boat and to live aboard it. I want to move all around the Mediterranean and to live from the sea, if possible. My home port will be Southern Italy.

I don't have a boat right now. However, I can save money to buy one. I am 33 years old. I haven't been trained in sailing yet. I heard it can be a bit expensive, but I am willing to pay for it. I am single and I don't want to get married. I have a PhD in Chemistry (which I intend to use to earn enough money to buy my boat). I am Italian, but I live in Ireland. I speak Spanish, Italian and English.

My questions are this:

Is it possible to live like I want to live?
How much money do I need in order to buy a good sailing boat (nothing fancy) and to be trained as a sailor?
Is there a way to be trained as a sailor and to make money during the process (like working aboard)?
If you are already living like I want to live, how do you earn your living?

Thanks!

Old 29-07-2013, 14:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Is my dream possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaucus View Post
Is it possible to live like I want to live?
How much money do I need in order to buy a good sailing boat (nothing fancy) and to be trained as a sailor?
Is there a way to be trained as a sailor and to make money during the process (like working aboard)?
If you are already living like I want to live, how do you earn your living?

Thanks!
- Yes.

- Buying a boat is like buying a car or a house: it totally depends on what you want and what you consider to be sufficient. Like apartments and mansions, there's a lot of room between what people consider acceptable. Go on yachtworld.com and start poking around. In general I think you could find something around $20K and then spend maybe another $10K getting it ready. Some people will spend $250K and spend another $100K kitting it out.

- You don't really need to spend money on being trained as a sailor unless you like formal instruction which is fine. I think maybe something on the order of $1K is enough to get started, then just go sailing all the time. It's primarily about experience. Read the Annapolis Book of Seamanship. And Bowditch, if you can stomach it.

- Trained as a sailor and make money? Not really. Once you're good enough to teach others maybe, but in your case not really.

- I have a job I can do remotely, some people work and sail part time (a few months working, a few months sailing), some people are independently wealthy, some people are financial traders, some people write, etc.

The other things I can tell you is to read a lot, consider the sources of information you're getting (for every smart person there are many more dummies), be really good at doing your own work, and help other people.

Old 29-07-2013, 14:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
- Yes.

- Buying a boat is like buying a car or a house: it totally depends on what you want and what you consider to be sufficient. Like apartments and mansions, there's a lot of room between what people consider acceptable. Go on yachtworld.com and start poking around. In general I think you could find something around $20K and then spend maybe another $10K getting it ready. Some people will spend $250K and spend another $100K kitting it out.

- You don't really need to spend money on being trained as a sailor unless you like formal instruction which is fine. I think maybe something on the order of $1K is enough to get started, then just go sailing all the time. It's primarily about experience. Read the Annapolis Book of Seamanship. And Bowditch, if you can stomach it.

- Trained as a sailor and make money? Not really. Once you're good enough to teach others maybe, but in your case not really.

- I have a job I can do remotely, some people work and sail part time (a few months working, a few months sailing), some people are independently wealthy, some people are financial traders, some people write, etc.

The other things I can tell you is to read a lot, consider the sources of information you're getting (for every smart person there are many more dummies), be really good at doing your own work, and help other people.
Great post! That was really helpful. Thanks.
Old 29-07-2013, 15:05   #4
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Is my dream possible?

15K should be enough to get you a Westerly GK29, Longbow, Berwick or similar 70's sailboat in reasonable condition... a place to start browsing is www.apolloduck.com
For edifikachun I'd suggest you contact the RYA as your in Ireland and get a list of Sailing Schools in your area... they also have a list of sailing (technical) books that you can buy on line.
Yes its possible...
Pick up paying crew on the N African coast... 8 at a time is good... and drop them off in Italy... that should get you a turnover/profit of around 8K a week...

Born To Be Wild
Old 29-07-2013, 15:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
15K should be enough to get you a Westerly GK29, Longbow, Berwick or similar 70's sailboat in reasonable condition... a place to start browsing is www.apolloduck.com
For edifikachun I'd suggest you contact the RYA as your in Ireland and get a list of Sailing Schools in your area... they also have a list of sailing (technical) books that you can buy on line.
Yes its possible...
Pick up paying crew on the N African coast... 8 at a time is good... and drop them off in Italy... that should get you a turnover/profit of around 8K a week...
Thanks!!! That website (apolloduck) is awesome.
Old 29-07-2013, 15:48   #6

Boat: C&C Newport 41

try living out of 1 room with 1 suitcase cooking with 2 pans without living on the internet with 34587348957 gadgets and take short showers in warm water for a few weeks and see how you do.

once you start to figure out where you are challenged, you will start to get an idea of what is important in a boat (hot showers, big(er) bed), (more) privacy, (more) storage).

if you intend on cruising alone you will have a greater dependance on electronics (radar and ais and autopilot) than if you had a larger crew to keep watch. electronics are expensive but cruising alone also means you need a smaller boat so the $$ may well balance out.

in the water and ready to go without many bells or whistles... 10k for the boat, 7k for outfitting and 3k for a sailing kitty.

1. read a lot.

2. crew where you can, it is a great way to learn and ever better with lots of different captains so you learn a) what you are doing and b) what the best way to do things are.

3. make a spreadsheet and keep refining it

4. save save save and save more money

best advice... set a target date and work to it.
Old 29-07-2013, 15:50   #7

Boat: 74 Westsail 32

Not to knock your first post, but this topic has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum and elsewhere. I would suggest spending some time searching both here and the Internet for answers and opinions on these questions you've asked. They've been answered many times over.

Sundowner Sails Again
Old 29-07-2013, 16:01   #8
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Is my dream possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Not to knock your first post, but this topic has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum and elsewhere. I would suggest spending some time searching both here and the Internet for answers and opinions on these questions you've asked. They've been answered many times over.
IGNORE ^^^^^^ IGNORE....

Bog off Target... a group of us have started a 'Thank You' competition... and anyway there's crap threads around at the moment...

Born To Be Wild
Old 29-07-2013, 16:23   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Is My Dream Possible?

Though discussed in the past, the choice and possibilities of a life aboard is a vibrant topic. I've lived aboard and cruised on the East US Coast for more than forty years and I find it very easy. Rebel Heart does this on the Pacific US Coast and, maybe because that's "foreign" to me, I think of it as less simple. We have Aussie liveaboards here, Europeans, and Asians, and those that circumnavigate- they most seem to manage with some exceptions. So, yes, I believe your plans are feasible. The "learning to sail" part is easy! All the fundamentals are learned best on a very small boat as the reaction of the vessel to what you do is more immediate and this quick feedback is a great teacher. You can learn all the basics of sailing in an 8' to 10' pram! I've known people of many professions that have lived aboard and cruised, but, obviously some vocations offer more time for sailing than others. My wife and I spent many years living aboard as teachers with the summers available for cruising the Florida Keys and Bahamas. The internet has allowed for more chances to earn money away from a fixed location. Good luck and keep us posted of your adventures!
Old 29-07-2013, 16:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone View Post
try living out of 1 room with 1 suitcase cooking with 2 pans without living on the internet with 34587348957 gadgets and take short showers in warm water for a few weeks and see how you do.

once you start to figure out where you are challenged, you will start to get an idea of what is important in a boat (hot showers, big(er) bed), (more) privacy, (more) storage).

if you intend on cruising alone you will have a greater dependance on electronics (radar and ais and autopilot) than if you had a larger crew to keep watch. electronics are expensive but cruising alone also means you need a smaller boat so the $$ may well balance out.

in the water and ready to go without many bells or whistles... 10k for the boat, 7k for outfitting and 3k for a sailing kitty.

1. read a lot.

2. crew where you can, it is a great way to learn and ever better with lots of different captains so you learn a) what you are doing and b) what the best way to do things are.

3. make a spreadsheet and keep refining it

4. save save save and save more money

best advice... set a target date and work to it.
Thank you very much. That's a very informative post. How do you get to crew?
Old 29-07-2013, 16:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
OK. Since I've already opened this thread I'll keep it open if it depends on me. Thanks.
Old 29-07-2013, 16:32   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Though discussed in the past, the choice and possibilities of a life aboard is a vibrant topic. I've lived aboard and cruised on the East US Coast for more than forty years and I find it very easy. Rebel Heart does this on the Pacific US Coast and, maybe because that's "foreign" to me, I think of it as less simple. We have Aussie liveaboards here, Europeans, and Asians, and those that circumnavigate- they most seem to manage with some exceptions. So, yes, I believe your plans are feasible. The "learning to sail" part is easy! All the fundamentals are learned best on a very small boat as the reaction of the vessel to what you do is more immediate and this quick feedback is a great teacher. You can learn all the basics of sailing in an 8' to 10' pram! I've known people of many professions that have lived aboard and cruised, but, obviously some vocations offer more time for sailing than others. My wife and I spent many years living aboard as teachers with the summers available for cruising the Florida Keys and Bahamas. The internet has allowed for more chances to earn money away from a fixed location. Good luck and keep us posted of your adventures!
Thanks for your encouraging post. It will take me at least a year to save the money I need, but I am confident that I'll make it. I was actually aiming for a small boat. So, it's good to know that those are the best ones for learning the craft.
Old 29-07-2013, 16:34   #13

Boat: C&C Newport 41

start hanging around a local yacht club.
put up a sign expressing your willingness to crew.
poke around here for local members
always have one or more of the following;
-gin
-tonic
-beer

you will find that most sailors are helpful and friendly happy to take you out with them. many clubs have short day races which is a great place to learn.

where r u located?

-s
Old 29-07-2013, 16:40   #14
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

I am not introverted, and the chicken came on to me.
I just don't like most folks, either that or they don't like me. You can live the lifestyle you seek, you must be willing to make the sacrifices it requires to do so, which often means thinking outside the box and be willing to undertake tasks outside your given profession. Creative thinking ability always comes in handy. Eating off of the ocean usually isn't too hard, it is the food storage that can be a challenge. We strip out salmon and hang it in the rigging until it drys and then dip it in a little soy sauce and wasabi and yum, yum. I am not sure how polluted the Med. might be, but if you are avoiding people as a rule the water will be cleaner where ever you are. Good luck on your quest. If you have specific questions, once you get kitted up, there is lots of help here and other sailing forums.
Old 29-07-2013, 16:51   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone View Post
start hanging around a local yacht club.
put up a sign expressing your willingness to crew.
poke around here for local members
always have one or more of the following;
-gin
-tonic
-beer

you will find that most sailors are helpful and friendly happy to take you out with them. many clubs have short day races which is a great place to learn.

where r u located?

-s
I am located in Dublin, Ireland. I like the idea of putting up signs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: