Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 15:37   #61

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Is My Dream Possible?

Hello again,

There are 3 CF threads I'd like to recommend: "Wisdom of the Sea", "I'm chuffed!", and "First Time as a skipper: lessons learned".

See what you think.

Ann

Old 03-08-2013, 15:48   #62
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaucus View Post
I am quite wary when it comes to the Muslim Brotherhood because they are active in promoting the spread of Sharia law, and not only within the confines of Egypt. It would be great if they end up being a fully democratic, fully secular party. However, this might be nothing but wishful thinking, since the goals of the MB are as radical as they were in the 70's and 80's.

That is sort of like asking a kangaroo to be a peacock. They are who they are and are not going to change. The Muslim Brotherhood is the ideological precursor of Al-Qaeda. Read THE LOOMING TOWER.

That said, I don't blame the MB for being really ticked off. Their guy was supposedly elected in a democratic process -- and then the opposition was surprised that the MB wants to take Egypt in a fundamentalist direction? The MB's goal is to *not* evolve. I think turmoil has to be expected when several factions are so absolutely certain that they are divinely right and that everyone else are infidels.

Old 03-08-2013, 16:16   #63
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is My Dream Possible?

Being in a Non Propaganda country.. and having Muslim connections..
I think you'll find that a majority of the Muslim Brotherhood are fairly liberal in general... but... like Israel they have die hard fundamentalists in their ranks... but unlike Israeli fundamentalists their happy to blow themselves and others up...
Sadly these folk are poorly educated and dominated by radical mullahs out for themselves... and wealthy educated men with their own agenda...
Also like most Leaders/Generals they sit well behind the scenes.. often in other countries and direct the action... Gulbuddin Hekmatyar being a good example... a total prat who spent most of his time in Peshawar killing of his rivals rather than Russians to establish his power base ready for when they were driven out...
Don't tar all Muslims with the same brush...

Born To Be Wild
Old 03-08-2013, 16:27   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Hello again,

There are 3 CF threads I'd like to recommend: "Wisdom of the Sea", "I'm chuffed!", and "First Time as a skipper: lessons learned".

See what you think.

Ann
Thanks, Ann! I'll check them out.
Old 03-08-2013, 16:30   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
That is sort of like asking a kangaroo to be a peacock. They are who they are and are not going to change. The Muslim Brotherhood is the ideological precursor of Al-Qaeda. Read THE LOOMING TOWER.

That said, I don't blame the MB for being really ticked off. Their guy was supposedly elected in a democratic process -- and then the opposition was surprised that the MB wants to take Egypt in a fundamentalist direction? The MB's goal is to *not* evolve. I think turmoil has to be expected when several factions are so absolutely certain that they are divinely right and that everyone else are infidels.
Yes, I think that democracy is never going to prosper in the Middle East. Hopefully, they'll prove me wrong. The problem is that democracy is not compatible with the Islamic worldview, since it is based on man-made laws.
Old 03-08-2013, 16:31   #66
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

where in southern Italy are you planning for your home port?
Old 03-08-2013, 16:33   #67
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I think you'll find that a majority of the Muslim Brotherhood are fairly liberal in general... but... like Israel they have die hard fundamentalists in their ranks... but unlike Israeli fundamentalists their happy to blow themselves and others up...
Sadly these folk are poorly educated and dominated by radical mullahs out for themselves... and wealthy educated men with their own agenda...
Also like most Leaders/Generals they sit well behind the scenes.. often in other countries and direct the action... Gulbuddin Hekmatyar being a good example... a total prat who spent most of his time in Peshawar killing of his rivals rather than Russians to establish his power base ready for when they were driven out...

No one tarred all Muslims with the same brush.
Old 03-08-2013, 16:34   #68
cruiser

Quote:
Yes, I think that democracy is never going to prosper in the Middle East. Hopefully, they'll prove me wrong. The problem is that democracy is not compatible with the Islamic worldview, since it is based on man-made laws.

I agree with you. Unlike some, though, I think that is their right (not saying you don't believe that).
Old 03-08-2013, 16:34   #69

Quote:
Yes, I am actually OK when it comes to Muslims. My main problem is with the ideology and not with the people who subscribe to it, mainly because it is the way in which those people were reared and the worldview that they have inherited.
Old 03-08-2013, 16:36   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
where in southern Italy are you planning for your home port?
I haven't decided yet. Is there a place which you'd recommend me?
Old 03-08-2013, 16:38   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I agree with you. Unlike some, though, I think that is their right (not saying you don't believe that).
True. My only concern is that Islam, especially radical Islam, is expansive by nature.
Old 03-08-2013, 16:49   #72

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
True. My only concern is that Islam, especially radical Islam, is expansive by nature.
A lot like Christianity then... being from the same tree...

Born To Be Wild
Old 03-08-2013, 16:50   #73
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

just wondered why southern Italy of all places. But there I would recommend Acciaroli or further North around the bay of Naples for some great sailing destinations all nearby (ischia, capri, ventotine)
Old 03-08-2013, 16:55   #74

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'd pick Alghero W Sardinia... Minorca... 36hrs.... Corsica less... Sicily less... Tunisia the same and on and on.... Buga the mainland

Born To Be Wild
Old 03-08-2013, 17:16   #75

Quote:
A lot like Christianity then... being from the same tree...
The goal is different, though. The goal of Christianity is to convert the individual, whereas the goal of Islam is to convert the State.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: