Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 29-07-2013, 16:52   #16

Re: Is My Dream Possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I am not introverted, and the chicken came on to me.
I just don't like most folks, either that or they don't like me. You can live the lifestyle you seek, you must be willing to make the sacrifices it requires to do so, which often means thinking outside the box and be willing to undertake tasks outside your given profession. Creative thinking ability always comes in handy. Eating off of the ocean usually isn't too hard, it is the food storage that can be a challenge. We strip out salmon and hang it in the rigging until it drys and then dip it in a little soy sauce and wasabi and yum, yum. I am not sure how polluted the Med. might be, but if you are avoiding people as a rule the water will be cleaner where ever you are. Good luck on your quest. If you have specific questions, once you get kitted up, there is lots of help here and other sailing forums.

Thanks, man!

Old 29-07-2013, 17:37   #17

There are some trends in the sailing environment you need to be mindful of because the may impact you ability to meet your budget and sail where you wish.

*Rising costs.

Port fees in many places outrageously high.
Visas. Particularly if you are from a country charging relatively high fees. Other countries 'reciprocate'.
Passport and renewal fees.
Agency fees. In a growing number of places you are required to use an agent to do things we were once able to do ourselves.
Rising costs to haul your boat for maintenance in boat yards. More costly 'lay days'.
Rising cost for anti-foulant paints due to environmental regulations.
Long queues of people wanting slips in marinas. The same for people wanting consent to live aboard. You usually have to obtain a slip before you can request live aboard status. Years long waits for both. Not insignificant extra charges to live aboads.

At least in the U.S., restrictions on anchoring are gaining popularity. These restrictions are most prevalent where most of us want to anchor. These have good access to services and are located in areas unaffected by hurricanes. Not too cold in wintertime or hot in the summer.

Good luck!

Old 29-07-2013, 17:38   #18

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone View Post
start hanging around a local yacht club.
put up a sign expressing your willingness to crew.
poke around here for local members
always have one or more of the following;
-gin
-tonic
-beer

you will find that most sailors are helpful and friendly happy to take you out with them. many clubs have short day races which is a great place to learn.

where r u located?

-s

Ummm... plus rum.

-Chris
Old 29-07-2013, 17:55   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
There are some trends in the sailing environment you need to be mindful of because the may impact you ability to meet your budget and sail where you wish.

*Rising costs.

Visas. Particularly if you are from a country charging relatively high fees. Other countries 'reciprocate'.
Agency fees. In a growing number of places you are required to use an agent to do things we were once able to do ourselves.
Rising costs to haul your boat for maintenance in boat yards. More costly 'lay days'.
Long queues of people wanting slips in marinas. The same for people wanting consent to live aboard. You usually have to obtain a slip before you can request live aboard status. Years long waits for both. Not insignificant extra charges to live aboads.

At least in the U.S., restrictions on anchoring are gaining popularity. These restrictions are most prevalent where most of us want to anchor. These have good access to services and are located in areas unaffected by hurricanes. Not too cold in wintertime or hot in the summer.

Good luck!

Thanks!
Old 29-07-2013, 17:56   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Ummm... plus rum.

-Chris
LOL
Old 29-07-2013, 18:11   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
My wife and I spent many years living aboard as teachers with the summers available for cruising the Florida Keys and Bahamas.
Thread drift warning!!!!!!!!

Isn't that considered foolish what with summer being hurricane season?

Drift over............
Old 29-07-2013, 18:16   #22
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is My Dream Possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post

*Rising costs.

Based out of Italy... in the EU June, July and August are the months everyone heads for the anchorages one the islands...
Visa's not required for most Med countries for EU citizens...
NA
Head for Tunisia, Morocco, Libya... live aboard on the hard getting difficult in Spain... Okay in other countries depending on marina policies
Buy though local fishing boat suppliers... take advantage of the Jotun subsidy...
Long queues of people wanting slips in marinas.
Only the 'Snob' areas... others are panting for you to show... UK S coast is the only place I've had a problem... but there's plenty of anchorages..
The same for people wanting consent to live aboard.
Not a Med problem..
You usually have to obtain a slip before you can request live aboard status. Once again NA
Years long waits for both. Not insignificant extra charges to live aboads.
Not in the Med...

Good luck!
I used to summer in the Balearic islands and winter in Andalusia and shop for smokes, luxury's, alcohol and fuel in Gib... a weeks sail away.. every 6 weeks... duty free and cheap as chips until Independence... Oh... and I saw a couple of whales in the Med (near Sardinia) this year for the 1st time and I've been in and outa there since the 60's...
I take that as a good sign regarding water quality...

Born To Be Wild
Old 29-07-2013, 18:49   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

- Is it possible to live like I want to live?
>>> yes,

- how much money do I need in order to buy a good sailing boat (nothing fancy),
>>> it depends on how big, how old, etc. the boat is, I have seen small, older boats sold at EUR 3 to 5k, I think another 5 to 10k is realistic to get an older, small boat sea ready, if you are good at boats and if you are willing to live in a very confined space (e.g. 2x3m),

- and to be trained as a sailor,
>>> I paid nothing, if you want formal training, look up e.g. RYA courses,

- is there a way to be trained as a sailor and to make money during the process (like working aboard),
>>> in the real world, if you want to get trained, you pay,
>>> but one can educate oneself,
>>> maybe you do not need to be trained as a sailor to live on a boat in S Italy(?).

- if you are already living like I want to live, how do you earn your living,
>>> some work, some are retired and have their pensions, some live off their savings.

Cheers,
b.
Old 29-07-2013, 19:08   #24

Boat: Islander 33 - 1966 flat top

LOL you may want to re-think the whole never get married thing ... just sayin' ... being alone away from people is sheer joy for me ... but being alone away from people with the right "someone" is even better. I found sailing b/c I fell in love with a man who loves the ocean ... now I love sailing too. Not to mention safety of having another human being to depend on. Chacun a son gout. On a small boat, living alone is easier b/c less stuff, right?
Old 29-07-2013, 19:16   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Thread drift warning!!!!!!!!

Isn't that considered foolish what with summer being hurricane season?

Drift over............
If you chart hurricane frequencies, you will see that the big peak tends to be around Labor Day and by then we were back in school. Of course, "school" was still in Florida so we still had to be alert. We cruised the Bahamas in the summers from 1975 to 2001 (not every summer) and we were only caught once with hurricane Erin in 1995 around August 1st. 'picked a good spot and no damage!
Old 29-07-2013, 19:23   #26

Boat: C&C Newport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Ummm... plus rum.

-Chris

only heathens drink rum!
Old 29-07-2013, 19:29   #27
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Capital Yachts Newport 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Though discussed in the past, the choice and possibilities of a life aboard is a vibrant topic. I've lived aboard and cruised on the East US Coast for more than forty years and I find it very easy. Rebel Heart does this on the Pacific US Coast and, maybe because that's "foreign" to me, I think of it as less simple. We have Aussie liveaboards here, Europeans, and Asians, and those that circumnavigate- they most seem to manage with some exceptions. So, yes, I believe your plans are feasible. The "learning to sail" part is easy! All the fundamentals are learned best on a very small boat as the reaction of the vessel to what you do is more immediate and this quick feedback is a great teacher. You can learn all the basics of sailing in an 8' to 10' pram! I've known people of many professions that have lived aboard and cruised, but, obviously some vocations offer more time for sailing than others. My wife and I spent many years living aboard as teachers with the summers available for cruising the Florida Keys and Bahamas. The internet has allowed for more chances to earn money away from a fixed location. Good luck and keep us posted of your adventures!
One of the more informative, compassionate, and realistic posts on this forum.
I am but a lurker and just wanted to show appreciation for your answer to the OP. For what it is worth, I see too many sundowners hammering on the dream that a lot of us have with thier short snide posts. Thanks again for keeping it real. Shot out........
Old 29-07-2013, 22:05   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I used to summer in the Balearic islands and winter in Andalusia and shop for smokes, luxury's, alcohol and fuel in Gib... a weeks sail away.. every 6 weeks... duty free and cheap as chips until Independence... Oh... and I saw a couple of whales in the Med (near Sardinia) this year for the 1st time and I've been in and outa there since the 60's...
I take that as a good sign regarding water quality...
It seems that you have sailed around most of Europe. Do you work in something related to the sea or do you sail on your vacations?
Old 29-07-2013, 22:07   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
- Is it possible to live like I want to live?
>>> yes,

- how much money do I need in order to buy a good sailing boat (nothing fancy),
>>> it depends on how big, how old, etc. the boat is, I have seen small, older boats sold at EUR 3 to 5k, I think another 5 to 10k is realistic to get an older, small boat sea ready, if you are good at boats and if you are willing to live in a very confined space (e.g. 2x3m),

- and to be trained as a sailor,
>>> I paid nothing, if you want formal training, look up e.g. RYA courses,

- is there a way to be trained as a sailor and to make money during the process (like working aboard),
>>> in the real world, if you want to get trained, you pay,
>>> but one can educate oneself,
>>> maybe you do not need to be trained as a sailor to live on a boat in S Italy(?).

- if you are already living like I want to live, how do you earn your living,
>>> some work, some are retired and have their pensions, some live off their savings.

Cheers,
b.
Thanks
Old 29-07-2013, 22:09   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatKat View Post
LOL you may want to re-think the whole never get married thing ... just sayin' ... being alone away from people is sheer joy for me ... but being alone away from people with the right "someone" is even better. I found sailing b/c I fell in love with a man who loves the ocean ... now I love sailing too. Not to mention safety of having another human being to depend on. Chacun a son gout. On a small boat, living alone is easier b/c less stuff, right?
Interesting possibility. I am not opposed to getting married, but I am not looking for it either.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: