Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2019, 10:49   #1
Retired from CF

Is liveaboard lifestyle a dying lifestyle

We are getting ready to buy another boat after having been out of cruising for 6 yrs, we are in our late 50's and hoping to age out on boat, but wondering from people out there doing it now, if this is a lifestyle on life support. Georgia cracking down on anchoring , solomons, md 1 liveaboard per 100 slips, cost at marinas etc, etc.... we are interested for now in md to west coast of florida we are not looking to stay very long term in 1 marina are prospects much better for regulations etc Guatemala, honduras, etc... anchoring and marinas are of interest
resoluute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:15   #2
cruiser

Re: Is liveaboard lifestyle a dying lifestyle

Yes, boating in general is a dying pastime. Your average person with “the dream” to sail away seems to only last 1 year to 18 months before giving up, which is why you see so many boats for sale.

I personally wouldn’t recommend anchoring anywhere near Honduras. My uncle has lived there on and off for many years.. with armed security. You’d best do some homework.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:24   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I've met plenty of people in the Bahamas who went over to visit and stayed. Yes, there's a high drop out rate among beginners, but lots of beginners are not very realistic about cruising, or their spouse cruising, for that matter. They don't really have the time, and curiously, they are attracted to sails before motors, and then find that frustrating, I think.

You're past all that. I can't speak for Central America, but I think you'll find your community out there. Maybe Jim or Ann Cates will speak up for the other side of the world.
Old 10-08-2019, 13:20   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

You should see all the people living the lifestyle in the Rio. There are some problems with having to check in and out all the time so some people give up and change their status. If you stop going out for to long, the boat becomes a kind of a hulk, but you can still live on it.

Sounds like everybody is happy with the health and dental care in GUA, the cost of living is low. It's damn hot sometimes.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 13:34   #5

Many "lifestyles are dying" and many are dead. There are few escapes to real freedom anymore anywhere.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 13:37   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I view the changes simply as:

..... the Cruising liveaboard lifestyle is now showing its age.

People, Companies and Governments now all try to cash in on its popularity by regulating the very freedoms that was the inspiration to go sailing.

Like aging sailing has developed its warts. bad choices and the contempt of familiarity.

What started with.an intrepid few became big business and the parasites, predators raised their ugly heads.

Get a boat that does not need marinas, Age gracefully in remote anchorages and you will still be far better off mentally than the urbanality of the suburbs.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 15:08   #7
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

As the affordable housing crisis continues to escalate in wealthy countries, mobile options will be increasingly discouraged.

If you're willing to get further and further away away from hot job market areas, and especially overseas, options will always abound.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 16:31   #8
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by resoluute View Post
, if this is a lifestyle on life support.
what is this "lifestyle" you are talking about

I've seen people living on their boats everywhere I've been the past 3 years
Old 10-08-2019, 17:01   #9

Boat: Catalina 470

I don't know if the "lifestyle " is decreasing or increasing, I've been cruising for ten years fulltime and cant say I've seen an increase or decrease ...how do others know?
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 17:40   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

When I first moved aboard at Port Credit Yacht Club, Mississsauga, Ontario in 1998, there were 67 liveaboard boats. There are now 16.
Old 10-08-2019, 18:02   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I love this topic.
Here is my 2c.

I built my first boat back in the late 70's, launched it the early 80's.
Back in those days a lot of people were living the " dream", and homebuilt boats could be seen on many a driveway.

Those were " the days"...it really was...you could sail anywhere, anchor anywhere, no mooring fields, you could still get a 12 month cruising permit in the B'mas for around $25. There were no marine patrols chasing you away from an anchorage...no Coast guard boardings....and marina fee's were around 0.50c/ft.

There was no GPS and people had to actually learn some rudimentary sailing and navigation skills. Back in the day, we had working lighthouses, beacons, WOM ( High Seas operator) was around...If you sailed off shore, you learned to use a sextant.

People that were sailing were a certain " breed" if you wish. Mass marketing of sailboats had not arrived. The Morgan OI 41 was considered to be " the" ultimate liveaboard boat, especially in the charter trade, which was still in it's infancy then.

Then Loran came along.....it had limited use....but still....it provided a newbie with some navigational aids...then Satnav arrived.....better, yet, not so good.
Then GPS arrived. As well as sat phones, ...refrigeration, air conditioning, cell phones, etc, etc, etc.

Boats became more modern and more expensive.....but sailed less...."floating condo's" they were termed. The modern day sailboat is a marvel of " modern" day conveniences...a/c...microwave ovens..the list is endless....every convenience you want...electric toilets...you name it....

With all the conveniences came all the new rules and new restrictions. Mooring fields, requiring a daily fee, limited cruising permits, holding tanks requiring a pump out fee, limited anchorage spots...the list is long....Marina fees now running $16-25/ft per day, if you can still find marina's. Many marina's have been converted to " condo's" where you can actually " buy" the slip.

Yes, the liveaboard lifestyle is a dying lifestyle. Yes, you can still find a few spots here and there that support a liveaboard community...but they are far and few between

Many area marina's allow only a limited number of " liveaboards" but charge accordingly.

I'm sure this topic will have ardent supporters on both sides of the fence. The liveaboard lifestyle is still attainable, but nothing like the " old days".

You have to have realistic " expectations". Walk around the docks and talk to other liveaboards and get their take on the matter.

Besides all of the above, yearly maintenance, haulouts, etc, require an arm and a leg..and a huge wad of cash.

Last but not least, is " hurricane" insurance...

All told, it's not an " inexpensive" lifestyle at all. At a marina, you may have to park a long way from your boat, do your laundry elsewhere, fetch your mail from a post office...etc..etc..etc..and your marina neighbor is an unknown.....and he/she will be a mere 5' from you.
When it rains, it may be a long, wet walk to your car.....with a handful of groceries...

Ok, I have lived this lifestyle for a long time, and have endured the many ups and downs, but I have grown into it. Starting from scratch today, will take a giant leap of faith.

Welcome to the club !!!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 18:16   #12

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

Get a boat that does not need marinas, Age gracefully in remote anchorages and you will still be far better off mentally than the urbanality of the suburbs.
That's the solution that works for us.
Not only is it more comfortable but it works out more affordable as well
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 18:23   #13

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

This is a great sub topic.

Can anyone come up with a boat that doesn't need marinas?

I'm sure stumped.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 18:58   #14

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
This is a great sub topic.

Can anyone come up with a boat that doesn't need marinas?

I'm sure stumped.
I'm guessing pelagics is one
Ours is another
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 19:16   #15

Boat: Westerly Sealord

What I am seeing is a lot more FHFBs.

Boats turn up in P. Montt or P. Williams... a week later the crew have flown out.... they return some months later, store ship and away they go again.

Quite often in Williams you will have maybe 20 boats of which only 3 or 4 are inhabited.

15 years ago this was not the norm.... and 15 years before that probably unknown..

I think cheaper airfares have a lot to do with it... flights between Chile and Australia 'frinstance are half today what they were 15 years ago.

I'm an FHFB myself.... Fly home - Fly back.... I try for 3 months/ 3 months... when all is going well I try to be underway within a week of rejoining... then I am living the marina free life...

Tags
liveaboard