Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-10-2014, 10:05   #31

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Intro and Difficult Question

I don't have MS but understand the situation.

My suggestion is to keep the boat, move forward with your plans as health permits and enjoy life.

If it were me I'd take the offer to see how your wife does on a cat. I do better strangely enough on a monohull for balance. There are many things that can be done to help mitigate physical issues.

Becky's advice is spot on. Wearing a PFD and staying on the boat. Perhaps a MOB alarm and or PLB would add peace of mind. I suspect your Hunter has a sugar scoop which also helps getting to the dink. If strength is an issue add snatch blocks.

It can be done. Feel free to send me a private message and I'll send my email addy if you need ideas.

sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:10   #32

Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Re: Intro and Difficult Question

If you are both willing, I'd say go now and hope for the best. My partner is unwilling so I am land bound. Wish I could go, mine is a different disease.
My father had a friend with MS who sailed until he couldn't I don't know how long, but it was years.
Good luck,

Frimi Captain
Tom Bodine
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:17   #33

Boat: Still Searching for Her

Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Nobody sits in a nursing home regretting what they DID do, only what they DIDN'T. Do it while you can and give it up only when (or if) you can't. None of us know how long we have on earth and the only difference is that someone has perhaps put a name to the truck that will run you down, on the other hand you could still get run down by a truck tomorrow same as me. Good luck and enjoy life

Best wishes for your enjoyment of life no matter what it brings.

I remember reading books by Tristan Jones years ago and admiring his spirit to carry on sailing.
Ahoy All Sailors! Need Crew for a long voyage either coastal, ICW, or across an ocean in 2016-2017? I am available. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:40   #34

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

All I can offer is encouragement & good wishes. It sounds like there has been plenty of good advice already. Go, & enjoy, but stay safe & keep you options open.

You are experienced & know your own minds--go for it!
Prairie Chicken
`..`..`...><((((>`..`..` ...><((((>
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 13:53   #35
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Here's something to try:

If your entry from the dinghy to the boat is at the stern, with a sugar scoop of some sort, add a man-rope affixed to the top rail of the pushpit, so that a person can assist him/herself in getting aboard. It can help anyone who is not as strong or agile as they used to be, as well as your good lady.

Ann & Jim, U.S. s/v Insatiable II, SE Qld, for a while
Ann T. Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:34   #36

Steve, my GP has known for years of our cruising plans and has helped us build a medical kit that he would write scripts to fill when we left. I am meeting with him next month to discuss this and get his opinion and kit adjustments if we continue our path. He had also agreed to handle our needs long-distance.

Ann, I like your idea. I wonder if we could utilize davits for that?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

DancesWDolphins is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: