Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2014, 20:26   #31
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,515
Re: Internet from Anywhere

Check out Iridium Go. The guy in the boat show">Annapolis boat show booth said it costs $150 per month for unlimited data. The device cost is around $900.
__________________

__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 20:49   #32
Registered User
 
Tom and Maje's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cruising the southern coast of Portugal and Spain
Boat: Leopard 40
Posts: 595
Re: Internet from Anywhere

At the boat show, GlobalStar had a free sat phone and unlimited talk and data for a year at $150 per month.

Maje
__________________

__________________
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 21:09   #33
Registered User
 
sailing_jack's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Eastern Ontario
Boat: Ta Chiao CT 35 Jack, CS27 Christina, Ranger 23 Strider, I14 Aggie
Posts: 79
Within the next 2 years there will be faster and cheaper systems. Ka band is coming with new Inmarsat satellites. My company is currently developing these systems for aircraft.

The aircraft antennas (now and future) are self aligning and compensate for pitch, row and yaw.
They have a relatively small footprint.

I plan to mount one on my boat and work from it as soon as they are ready.

Please don't ask for details, it is in development and currently confidential.
__________________
sailing_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 21:29   #34
Registered User
 
UNCIVILIZED's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Up the mast, looking for clean wind.
Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Posts: 5,629
Re: Internet from Anywhere

sailing_jack, you sir are the very definition of a tease ;-) Thanks for giving us the heads up on that info though.
__________________

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 06:26   #35
GMN
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 50
Re: Internet from Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Would this setup work to send email only from anywhere in the world? Besides a laptop, is there anything else you would need?

- Buy a used R-BGAN Hughes 9101 Satellite Modem for $100 at eBay.

- Buy bulk Inmarsat BGAN prepaid SIM cards (250 minutes or 26 MB) for $185 at eBay.
R-BGAN service has been discontinued by Inmarsat and the R-BGAN modem will not work with current BGAN service.

So that modem would serve as a nice paperweight but nothing else.
__________________
Global Marine Networks: Satellite Phones, Airtime, Weather, Email & Web. www.globalmarinenet.com
GMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 12:10   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 201
Re: Internet from Anywhere

Thanks for the heads up. Are the people buying those discontinued systems on eBay suckers or are they using them for something besides a paper weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMN View Post
R-BGAN service has been discontinued by Inmarsat and the R-BGAN modem will not work with current BGAN service.

So that modem would serve as a nice paperweight but nothing else.
__________________
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 13:41   #37
GMN
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 50
Re: Internet from Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Are the people buying those discontinued systems on eBay suckers or are they using them for something besides a paper weight?
This is a great question. Here is a bit of history that may or may not make this all much more confusing:

R-BGAN was an Inmarsat service that pre-dated BGAN service. It was a regional service that, interestingly, rented Thuraya airtime for its coverage in Northern Europe and the Middle East.

So it is theoretically possible that an R-BGAN modem would work on Thuraya airtime, within the Thuraya coverage map.

We don't sell Thuraya airtime or equipment, so I really have no way of knowing if this hypothesis is valid.

I would hazard to guess that it doesn't and that, indeed, the people selling this equipment on eBay are simply unscrupulous.
__________________
Global Marine Networks: Satellite Phones, Airtime, Weather, Email & Web. www.globalmarinenet.com
GMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 16:01   #38
Senior Cruiser
 
Scot McPherson's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Shoreline, CT and Portmouth Harbor
Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner
Posts: 631
Re: Internet from Anywhere

For email only I think I'd deal with HF packet radio
__________________
Captain Scot, 100 Ton Master, w/Sailing and Towing
Daring Kids to be Exceptional
http://americanseafarers.us
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 17:42   #39
Registered User
 
zboss's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: On a boat
Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Posts: 3,427
Re: Internet from Anywhere

Can't help you now but in the next three years the new HT sats will be coming on line with new compressions algorithms and higher frequencies. Your throughput will go from about 1 mbit to about 18 to 20 mbits. Thats pretty quick.
__________________
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 18:20   #40
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 201
Re: Internet from Anywhere

Sure, unscrupulous sellers exist but I was a bit confused when I saw that the merchants selling old BGAN equipment on eBay had very high positive feedback ratings of 99%+ because that means there are lots of happy customers that still buy that stuff. And the fact that there are so many merchants selling prepaid BGAN cards had to mean that the equipment is still being used somewhere. When you look at a Thuraya coverage map you will see that BGAN still works for a significant chunk of the world so thanks for mentioning Thuraya because I hadn't heard of it before!



Quote:
Originally Posted by GMN View Post
This is a great question. Here is a bit of history that may or may not make this all much more confusing:

R-BGAN was an Inmarsat service that pre-dated BGAN service. It was a regional service that, interestingly, rented Thuraya airtime for its coverage in Northern Europe and the Middle East.

So it is theoretically possible that an R-BGAN modem would work on Thuraya airtime, within the Thuraya coverage map.

We don't sell Thuraya airtime or equipment, so I really have no way of knowing if this hypothesis is valid.

I would hazard to guess that it doesn't and that, indeed, the people selling this equipment on eBay are simply unscrupulous.
__________________
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 18:27   #41
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 201
Re: Internet from Anywhere

I googled "ht sat" but nothing came up. What does HT Sat mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Can't help you now but in the next three years the new HT sats will be coming on line with new compressions algorithms and higher frequencies. Your throughput will go from about 1 mbit to about 18 to 20 mbits. Thats pretty quick.
__________________
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 07:10   #42
GMN
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 50
Re: Internet from Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
And the fact that there are so many merchants selling had to mean that the equipment is still being used somewhere.
BGAN service certainly still exists in the world - in fact it's a growing segment of the mobile satellite industry.

What is sure, however, is that BGAN airtime (what you link to) does not work with the R-BGAN unit being sold for $100 on eBay. BGAN airtime works with BGAN units - these retail new starting at around $2,000.

R-BGAN units have been discontinued for around 8 to 9 years. I can guarantee you they will not work with BGAN airtime.

I would welcome input from any Thuraya dealer regarding whether or not R-BGAN units would work on Thuraya airtime - I strongly suspect that they do not.
__________________
Global Marine Networks: Satellite Phones, Airtime, Weather, Email & Web. www.globalmarinenet.com
GMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 13:33   #43
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 201
Re: Internet from Anywhere

Oh I get it now. I didn't realize there was a difference between R-BGAN and BGAN but now I do. Thank you for clearing that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMN View Post
BGAN service certainly still exists in the world - in fact it's a growing segment of the mobile satellite industry.

What is sure, however, is that BGAN airtime (what you link to) does not work with the R-BGAN unit being sold for $100 on eBay. BGAN airtime works with BGAN units - these retail new starting at around $2,000.

R-BGAN units have been discontinued for around 8 to 9 years. I can guarantee you they will not work with BGAN airtime.

I would welcome input from any Thuraya dealer regarding whether or not R-BGAN units would work on Thuraya airtime - I strongly suspect that they do not.
__________________
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 14:30   #44
Moderator
 
Adelie's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Posts: 4,639
Internet from Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
At the boat show, GlobalStar had a free sat phone and unlimited talk and data for a year at $150 per month.

Maje




Unless they have significantly changed their system Globalstar has a much more limited operational area than Iridium (global) or even Imarsat (excludes polar areas past a certain latitude north or south).



Adelie
__________________
A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground no one would think to try and refloat it.
SailboatData
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 16:34   #45
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 201
Re: Internet from Anywhere

What do you think about using SailMail? Any idea how much it would cost to set myself up with a new and also a used system that uses SailMail?
__________________

__________________
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
internet

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Available: A woman sailor I know needs a lift from anywhere in S. Florida to anywhere in the Bah Ram Crew Archives 25 01-02-2013 08:46
Crew Available: Yacht Delivery - From Anywhere / To Anywhere . . . boatman61 Crew Archives 14 19-10-2011 06:23
Crew Available: Anywhere to Anywhere mindsofman Crew Archives 0 16-03-2011 21:08
General and Infinite Internet Access Anywhere ? Suggestions, Experiences . . . Elemein Marine Electronics 19 14-10-2010 03:33
Crew Available: Anywhere to Anywhere - Experienced noahtkeller Crew Archives 0 03-08-2010 10:15



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:00.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.