Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-10-2014, 20:26   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Re: Internet from Anywhere

Check out Iridium Go. The guy in the boat show">Annapolis boat show booth said it costs $150 per month for unlimited data. The device cost is around $900.

Old 15-10-2014, 20:49   #32

Boat: Leopard 40

At the boat show, GlobalStar had a free sat phone and unlimited talk and data for a year at $150 per month.

Maje

Old 15-10-2014, 21:09   #33

Boat: Ta Chiao CT 35 Jack, CS27 Christina, Ranger 23 Strider, I14 Aggie
Within the next 2 years there will be faster and cheaper systems. Ka band is coming with new Inmarsat satellites. My company is currently developing these systems for aircraft.

The aircraft antennas (now and future) are self aligning and compensate for pitch, row and yaw.
They have a relatively small footprint.

I plan to mount one on my boat and work from it as soon as they are ready.

Please don't ask for details, it is in development and currently confidential.
Old 15-10-2014, 21:29   #34

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

sailing_jack, you sir are the very definition of a tease ;-) Thanks for giving us the heads up on that info though.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 06:26   #35
GMN
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Would this setup work to send email only from anywhere in the world? Besides a laptop, is there anything else you would need?

- Buy a used R-BGAN Hughes 9101 Satellite Modem for $100 at eBay.

- Buy bulk Inmarsat BGAN prepaid SIM cards (250 minutes or 26 MB) for $185 at eBay.
R-BGAN service has been discontinued by Inmarsat and the R-BGAN modem will not work with current BGAN service.

So that modem would serve as a nice paperweight but nothing else.
Old 16-10-2014, 12:10   #36

Thanks for the heads up. Are the people buying those discontinued systems on eBay suckers or are they using them for something besides a paper weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMN View Post
R-BGAN service has been discontinued by Inmarsat and the R-BGAN modem will not work with current BGAN service.

So that modem would serve as a nice paperweight but nothing else.
Old 16-10-2014, 13:41   #37
GMN
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. Are the people buying those discontinued systems on eBay suckers or are they using them for something besides a paper weight?
This is a great question. Here is a bit of history that may or may not make this all much more confusing:

R-BGAN was an Inmarsat service that pre-dated BGAN service. It was a regional service that, interestingly, rented Thuraya airtime for its coverage in Northern Europe and the Middle East.

So it is theoretically possible that an R-BGAN modem would work on Thuraya airtime, within the Thuraya coverage map.

We don't sell Thuraya airtime or equipment, so I really have no way of knowing if this hypothesis is valid.

I would hazard to guess that it doesn't and that, indeed, the people selling this equipment on eBay are simply unscrupulous.
Old 20-10-2014, 16:01   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

For email only I think I'd deal with HF packet radio
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 17:42   #39

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Can't help you now but in the next three years the new HT sats will be coming on line with new compressions algorithms and higher frequencies. Your throughput will go from about 1 mbit to about 18 to 20 mbits. Thats pretty quick.
Old 20-10-2014, 18:20   #40

Sure, unscrupulous sellers exist but I was a bit confused when I saw that the merchants selling old BGAN equipment on eBay had very high positive feedback ratings of 99%+ because that means there are lots of happy customers that still buy that stuff. And the fact that there are so many merchants selling prepaid BGAN cards had to mean that the equipment is still being used somewhere. When you look at a Thuraya coverage map you will see that BGAN still works for a significant chunk of the world so thanks for mentioning Thuraya because I hadn't heard of it before!

Quote:
This is a great question. Here is a bit of history that may or may not make this all much more confusing:

R-BGAN was an Inmarsat service that pre-dated BGAN service. It was a regional service that, interestingly, rented Thuraya airtime for its coverage in Northern Europe and the Middle East.

So it is theoretically possible that an R-BGAN modem would work on Thuraya airtime, within the Thuraya coverage map.

We don't sell Thuraya airtime or equipment, so I really have no way of knowing if this hypothesis is valid.

I would hazard to guess that it doesn't and that, indeed, the people selling this equipment on eBay are simply unscrupulous.
Old 20-10-2014, 18:27   #41

I googled "ht sat" but nothing came up. What does HT Sat mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Can't help you now but in the next three years the new HT sats will be coming on line with new compressions algorithms and higher frequencies. Your throughput will go from about 1 mbit to about 18 to 20 mbits. Thats pretty quick.
Old 21-10-2014, 07:10   #42
GMN
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
And the fact that there are so many merchants selling had to mean that the equipment is still being used somewhere.
BGAN service certainly still exists in the world - in fact it's a growing segment of the mobile satellite industry.

What is sure, however, is that BGAN airtime (what you link to) does not work with the R-BGAN unit being sold for $100 on eBay. BGAN airtime works with BGAN units - these retail new starting at around $2,000.

R-BGAN units have been discontinued for around 8 to 9 years. I can guarantee you they will not work with BGAN airtime.

I would welcome input from any Thuraya dealer regarding whether or not R-BGAN units would work on Thuraya airtime - I strongly suspect that they do not.
Old 21-10-2014, 13:33   #43

Oh I get it now. I didn't realize there was a difference between R-BGAN and BGAN but now I do. Thank you for clearing that up.

Quote:
BGAN service certainly still exists in the world - in fact it's a growing segment of the mobile satellite industry.

What is sure, however, is that BGAN airtime (what you link to) does not work with the R-BGAN unit being sold for $100 on eBay. BGAN airtime works with BGAN units - these retail new starting at around $2,000.

R-BGAN units have been discontinued for around 8 to 9 years. I can guarantee you they will not work with BGAN airtime.

I would welcome input from any Thuraya dealer regarding whether or not R-BGAN units would work on Thuraya airtime - I strongly suspect that they do not.
Old 21-10-2014, 14:30   #44

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Internet from Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
At the boat show, GlobalStar had a free sat phone and unlimited talk and data for a year at $150 per month.

Maje

Unless they have significantly changed their system Globalstar has a much more limited operational area than Iridium (global) or even Imarsat (excludes polar areas past a certain latitude north or south).

Adelie
Old 29-10-2014, 16:34   #45

What do you think about using SailMail? Any idea how much it would cost to set myself up with a new and also a used system that uses SailMail?

Tags
internet

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: