Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-08-2014, 09:41   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Internet from Anywhere

I'm pretty sure that the airliner uses Satcom for it's internet, not certain though, I don't see how anything else would work

Old 14-08-2014, 09:43   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Apparently at least Gogo gets it from a variety of sources
Gogo Inflight Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 14-08-2014, 19:09   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to mraymush

Wow, I can't believe how many responses I received. As a first time poster on this forum, I am blown away!

A little more about my business since so many of you asked. Currently I have a laptop dedicated to that business, I VPN to the environment, then RDP a "jump server" from where I then RDP the other servers I need to work on. Typically it's things like cleaning up disk space on a server or restarting a server or things like that. The majority of what I do is server RDP connections, although I occasionally will do workstation remote sessions using GotoAssist and then use that workstation to work on the local server. I can typically schedule those events for whenever. The events I can't really schedule are the server RDP events. That's my day job, per se. Also, I often need to talk on the phone to the customers or my teammates. Lastly, I use a browser to connect to a database application that keeps track of all my tickets that get assigned to me.

I appreciate all of the responses especially those that are giving me new ideas to start thinking out of the box and be creative. There are 2 sides of my business. My contract (the full time one) and my consulting business, which is here and there. I'm thinking I'll end up quitting my contract. It's just too hard to be available 40 hours a week in this kind of environment (unless I do as someone suggested, start doing 4 10s and then use the weekends to get wherever I need to go). My consulting business is probably more like the web developer post that someone suggested.

Thanks again for all the replies. What a great community! I'm more than happy to receive direct contact from anybody with suggestions. mraymus@yahoo.com

Matt
Old 15-08-2014, 08:57   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparau View Post
Depends on if you are controlling their desktop session or RDP'ing to a remote session. Something like joinme with VOIP can be 1Mbit/s to be smooth where an RDP session to a server might only be 80Kbit/s.

Problem in part with controlling a user session is desktop size and even backgrounds make it very intensive (e.g.: blue background of a server is easy to compress as opposed to a background picture a user has).

Latency also is the issue here, it isn't going to be a problem if you wait while a sat connection picks back up when you are connecting to a server but is going to be fairly confusing for controlling a user desktop.
You can configure Citrix and i think RDP as well to send a plain desktop without the background image. If you are logging into your own accounts, then don't use backgrounds, if they are admin accounts...well they should be plain screen too.

Remote assistance will push the users desktop to you but DAMEWARE sends a black background.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 09:14   #20

Boat: BAYLINER 4788

I have KVH mini VSAT service and love it.

As others have indicated the price of entry is around $15K and last months bill was around $600

While the price is high, it is the price of sitting on a boat in the middle of Wilderness Alaska, making a living.

How much is being away from the office worth to you?
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 09:25   #21

Boat: Irwin 43

We manage a company from our boat and need to be always connected. When we are at sea on passages(coastal up to 6 days) we use Enmarsat Skipper 150 which costs around $5,000. The data plan we use costs about $200 month.....we only use it for getting emails(20-30 per day). UUplus offers a good compression package for around $30 per month. Our skipper 150 is 5 years old now so my guess is that there are cheaper alternatives.

Most of the time we are at anchor somewhere....mexico, el salvador, costa rica, panama, and we are able to get 3G cell service for around $35 per month.
Old 18-08-2014, 21:48   #22

pirate Re: Internet from Anywhere

I am not an IT person, so perhaps I am missing some tech details, here is my Idea.

A- have a 3g wifi router to use when you are docked
B- Subscribe to few KU band satellite broadband providers. In order to cover several countries you will need multiple subscriptions, like Dishnet for US, an Eutelsat provider for Europe:
Eutelsat: EUTELSAT 10A satellite - downlink coverages - Eutelsat

Maybe one forr the Caribbean. I guess connecting to Telstar 11N (T11N), unfortunately I can't see strong signals on the sunny side of the sea. A 3 m antenna won't fit well in a 30" :-)

Maybe some portions of the Ocean will still be uncovered but most of the Earth surface should be...and unless you continuously change continents you are fine with 1 or 2 providers anyway.

A possible issue could be that you need to have the dish pointing to the satellite, on the other hand some folks use Internet and TV on RV's so it should be doable.
Here, at about mid page there are few dishes that aim and then keep track of the chosen satellite. Mobile & Portable Dish - Automatic Tracking Satellite System
And yes, you can't play Halo over VPN.

Curios (not without a personal interest) if that option B could work. Anybody experienced can advice?
Old 19-08-2014, 11:39   #23
GMN
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraymush View Post
Currently I have a laptop dedicated to that business, I VPN to the environment, then RDP a "jump server" from where I then RDP the other servers I need to work on. Typically it's things like cleaning up disk space on a server or restarting a server or things like that. The majority of what I do is server RDP connections, although I occasionally will do workstation remote sessions using GotoAssist and then use that workstation to work on the local server. I can typically schedule those events for whenever. The events I can't really schedule are the server RDP events. That's my day job, per se. Also, I often need to talk on the phone to the customers or my teammates. Lastly, I use a browser to connect to a database application that keeps track of all my tickets that get assigned to me.
Internet from anywhere is possible, and I guess you could probably keep it to around $1,000 a month for airtime if you have the right equipment/processes in place to keep your data consumption in check.

The issue no one has mentioned so far is where you'll be located - a KVH mini-VSAT is probably going to be your best bet for the kind of bandwidth requirements you'll have, but make sure to check the KVH coverage map before you invest. If your plans have you frequently in the southern hemisphere, you'll find yourself with choppy or no coverage and no way to get connected.

For extremely high data usage, you could go with a Fleetbroadband 500 and an unlimited "all-you-can-eat" data plan. Unless you're in the extreme reaches of the Inmarsat coverage area, you'll have great signal and can use the internet to your heart's content, although you'll pay more than $3,000 a month to do so and have slower speeds than with something like the KVH Mini-VSAT V3.

Just so you have an idea of what $1,000 a month in airtime can buy you, here is a rough guide:

KVH V3: $999 a month gets you 1000 MB a month. Once you've used 1000 MB, each MB costs $0.99.

Inmarsat FleetBroadband 500: $1060 a month gets you 200 MB a month. Once you've used 200 MB, each MB costs $5.31.

Iridium Pilot (probably won't work for the kind of usage you expect, but you may want one for failover for a KVH V3): $1148 a month gets you 1000 MB a month. Once you've used 1000 MB, each MB costs around $0.56 each.

Both the V3 and the FBB 500 cost around $15,000. The Iridium Pilot is around $4,500.

I heartily second what many here have said: if you can hook into free or cheap WiFi and cell coverage for most of your use, and then rely on the satcomm system for crossings and really remote areas, you can probably keep your airtime around $1,000 a month and still have the connectivity that you need.
Old 19-08-2014, 12:03   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMN View Post
KVH V3: $999 a month gets you 1000 MB a month. Once you've used 1000 MB, each MB costs $0.99.

Inmarsat FleetBroadband 500: $1060 a month gets you 200 MB a month. Once you've used 200 MB, each MB costs $5.31.

Both the V3 and the FBB 500 cost around $15,000. The Iridium Pilot is around $4,500.
Hi GMN, it looks like you know something about Satelites, is there any reason why you did not consider the solution I suggested? Anyway a sailor won't be able to leverage the full global reach of the networks you mentioned in a short time frame. I.e. why to pay for a global satellite connection if a patchwork of cheap local should cover? see my previous links.
Old 19-08-2014, 12:10   #25

I know this solution isn't available everywhere in the world, but if you're anywhere in the US coastline within Verizon coverage, check out Millenicom. They provide 4G LTe service on the Verizon network with a Jetpack mifi device, $70/mo. for 20GB. That's quite a bit better than Verizon's own deal at $50/mo. for 5GB.
Old 19-08-2014, 12:14   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Inmarsat Broadband

b.
Old 19-08-2014, 13:16   #27
GMN
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lore927 View Post
Hi GMN, it looks like you know something about Satelites, is there any reason why you did not consider the solution I suggested? Anyway a sailor won't be able to leverage the full global reach of the networks you mentioned in a short time frame. I.e. why to pay for a global satellite connection if a patchwork of cheap local should cover? see my previous links.
Fixed satellite dishes need an extremely stable environment in order to establish a connection with the satellite. On a marine surface this will not be possible or create such a choppy connection that practical use will be almost impossible. For this reason, the satellite dishes for marine use tend to be much more expensive than their land-based counterparts because of the stabilized antenna needed for marine use. (Look at the difference between a BGAN and a FleetBroadband, for example, which are essentially the same system, just adapted for different environments).

This solution may work while at dock, but will likely not work at anchor or during passages.

The last thing that I would approach with caution is in regards to coverage and use policies for the different countries: depending on what the regional restrictions are for use, you could very well find yourself completely cut off without a word if you venture outside of their pre-determined regions. (We see this occasionally with satellite on region-restricted plans, even if the carrier itself has global coverage).
Old 19-08-2014, 13:39   #28

Interesting, thanks
Old 19-08-2014, 15:34   #29

Boat: Freedom 38

I'm a consultant as well who needs internet to keep working on my boat for when I go cruising (~2 years from now). Been reading and thinking about this for some time. There's a lot of great info posted here, and though I'm sure many things will be different in the near future, it's good to start considering what might be possible especially as I'm starting on a redo of my electrical system. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread!
Old 15-10-2014, 19:46   #30

Would this setup work to send email only from anywhere in the world? Besides a laptop, is there anything else you would need?

- Buy a used R-BGAN Hughes 9101 Satellite Modem for $100 at eBay.

- Buy bulk Inmarsat BGAN prepaid SIM cards (250 minutes or 26 MB) for $185 at eBay.

Tags
internet

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: