Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-04-2013, 20:31   #16

For any Canadians reading this thread, I thought I would post an answer to this question for them. I easily got liveaboard insurance.. year round in water. I used ;
Scott McMichael
McMichael-Davis Marine Insurance
Manager, Sales & Marketing
Direct (905)847-1616
Toll Free (888)821-8833
Fax (905)847-0780
E-Mail: send me a PM for the email.
I was also told
"harbour insurance" near Toronto also offers this but I haven't tried them. Hope this helps

pyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:05   #17
Marine Service Provider

Re: Insurance

Originally Posted by FlyMeAway View Post
In case anybody is looking at this thread, one of the problems I had was finding a liveaboard policy that *also* included basic liability. This is the liability you get when you buy homeowners, and it covers you for basic liability issues that have nothing to do with your home (you can google around for examples of this). But the real kicker is that *without* this basic liability coverage (the type that usually comes with homeowners or renters) no insurance company I was able to find was willing to write umbrella liability. The importance of carrying umbrella liability, especially for a cruiser, are beyond the scope of this post (but needless to say, if you have income and assets having umbrella is crucial).

I found *one* company -- and this was after an exhaustive search -- that is writing true liveaboard yacht policies that also include general liability (and, as a bonus, include a few other things pertinent to liveaboards as well, like coverage for storage units): a yacht policy issued by Wells Fargo and underwritten by a major insurer (can't remember which one). PM me if you're interested and want contact information.

For example, Boat US allows liveaboards on their policies (and they were pretty well priced), but no general liability.

On the other hand, if you've found anyone else that offers similar coverage, PLEASE let me know -- always interested in competing quotes :-)
There are three programs from two companies in the world that offer actual liveaboard policies. One is New Hampshire which offers a liveaboard policy that includes Personal Liability, Personal Effects other than on the boat, and Loss of Use coverage if you need to live ashore while the boat is being repaired. Markel offers a very similar form in their Helmsman (domestic) program, and the Jackline (for Voyagers) program which offers similar coverage, but with the Personal Liability coverage as an option in case you do still have that coverage elsewhere.

Al Golden
Internatl Marine Insurance Svcs
Al Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 13:57   #18

So how much is a typical policy? Dollar wise?
Commercial Pilot/Photographer
AviatorG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 17:52   #19

Boat: Hunter Helsen 470

Originally Posted by AviatorG View Post
So how much is a typical policy? Dollar wise?
I cannot answer that question. It depends on your experience, sailing area, type of boat, previous claims, credit report, where you are during Hurricane Season, same type of stuff as for auto insurance.
But you can figure 1.5 to 2% of the value of the boat for full coverage and be in the Ball Park.
Wench'sCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 15:53   #20

Boat: Catalina 36

I have an ~$100k boat and am based on Puget Sound (no hurricanes!). I have what I would call moderate sailing experience, and excellent (not perfect) credit. I have no maritime accidents.

My policy is just under $1200 a year. I'm with New Hampshire. If you're looking for a quote my understanding is that they have one agent who writes these policies. I can provide contact info if you'd like it (PM me).

After the response to this thread about the Markel Helmsman policy, I sought out an agent who offered it (was not easy) and got a quote -- significantly more expensive, about 20% more, and offered inferior coverage. YMMV.

FlyMeAway is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: