Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 14:54   #61

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Re: Insulating Your Interior

Hey has anyone used stone wool insulation on a boat? I like the fact that it is fire and sound retardant. I am wondering what the mildew/mold situation would be on something with fibers though.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 17:28   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Mineral wools are unattractive to rodents but will provide a structure for bacterial growth if allowed to become wet.
They are often used in hydroponic gardening because they will hold a lot of water.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 09:30   #63

Why do they say that it is mildew and moisture resistant then?

Either way, and after an almost neurotic amount of research and hemming and hawing, We are ordering a bunch of cork today to insulate the inside of our v berth and cabin top. I had originally bought a bunch of closed cell pink poly boards but my fiance, who is asthmatic, put the kaibash on that quickly.

Here's what the EPA has to say about that crap:

"Styrene is primarily used in the production of polystyrene plastics and resins. Acute (short-term) exposure to styrene in humans results in mucous membrane and eye irritation, and gastrointestinal effects. Chronic (long-term) exposure to styrene in humans results in effects on the central nervous system (CNS), such as headache, fatigue, weakness, and depression, CSN dysfunction, hearing loss, and peripheral neuropathy. Human studies are inconclusive on the reproductive and developmental effects of styrene; several studies did not report an increase in developmental effects in women who worked in the plastics industry, while an increased frequency of spontaneous abortions and decreased frequency of births were reported in another study. Several epidemiologic studies suggest there may be an association between styrene exposure and an increased risk of leukemia and lymphoma. However, the evidence is inconclusive due to confounding factors. EPA has not given a formal carcinogen classification to styrene."

What that last little section translates to is that "We are in bed with the corporations that make this stuff and can't out and out tell you about how it is going to kill you, so sorry that the government organization put in place specifically to protect you from harmful toxins in your environment is so corrupt that it is unable to do even the most base function of it's purpose. Have a nice day and go F yourself, American."

Ha ha sorry for that last little bit.

I will take the higher price and lower R factor over sleeping in a bath of chemical death fumes.
Old 14-11-2011, 09:53   #64

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

unbusted67......I think you are over exaggerating the effects of styrene from Styrofoam sheets. Outgassing could be a problem when new and when working with it but then it becomes basically inert just as the resins in our boats have. Working in the plastics industry is another story altogether. To be sure asthmatics should avoid an entire spectrum of substances but for the rest of us it's OK. My $.02. BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 12:09   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
unbusted67......I think you are over exaggerating the effects of styrene from Styrofoam sheets. Outgassing could be a problem when new and when working with it but then it becomes basically inert just as the resins in our boats have. Working in the plastics industry is another story altogether. To be sure asthmatics should avoid an entire spectrum of substances but for the rest of us it's OK. My $.02. BOB
"Chronic (long-term) exposure to styrene in humans results in effects on the central nervous system (CNS), such as headache, fatigue, weakness, and depression, CSN dysfunction, hearing loss, and peripheral neuropathy."

Does PolySTYRENE somehow become not polystyrene over time? Sorry dude the proof is in the pudding and this pudding is bad for you.
Old 15-11-2011, 15:11   #66

Boat: Snapdragon 890

Different pudding for you??

Quote:
Some people confuse styrene, which is a liquid, with polystyrene, which is a solid plastic made from polymerised styrene. Styrene and polystyrene are fundamentally different. Polystyrene is inert, and has no smell of styrene, therefore polystyrene often is used in applications where hygiene is important, such as health care and food service products.

Hmmm, pudding for thought there?? That was only the first link I found.....Answers to common questions about styrene...... I'm sure there's more.....

And yeah, chemical components can become more inert over time..... and the addition of other compounds (maybe the difference between styrene and polystyrene) can totally alter an item's chemical makeup, and hence, it's effects on people....
gixerjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 15:17   #67

Boat: Westsail 32

Neoprene from the foam factory. Foam by Mail, foam products, cushions, mattresses, pillows, seats, sound proofing, memory foams, mattress, pillow,
Old 15-11-2011, 15:35   #68

Go for the cork - it has a lot of qualities - and one of the best ones is that is is basically fireproof - I don't think that any of the plastic/styrene have that capability.
Singleprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 15:37   #69

Boat: Snapdragon 890

I like the look of their "dryfast" foam.... you really think foam is ok for boat insulation though.... I'd have thought something solid would be better as far as damp goes??

That said - I've just insulated my v-berth with; a layer of foil bubble wrap; recycled bottle insulating stuff (glass fibre alternative); another layer of foil bubble wrap; all covered in with some thin ply........ Dunno if it'll work but it was cheap and I was in a hurry?
gixerjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 16:12   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Take a look at NHArmaflex. You can see some comments on it here on Steve Dashew's web site.

DashewOffshore.com - the serious cruising sailor's website
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 16:58   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixerjen View Post
I like the look of their "dryfast" foam.... you really think foam is ok for boat insulation though.... I'd have thought something solid would be better as far as damp goes??

That said - I've just insulated my v-berth with; a layer of foil bubble wrap; recycled bottle insulating stuff (glass fibre alternative); another layer of foil bubble wrap; all covered in with some thin ply........ Dunno if it'll work but it was cheap and I was in a hurry?
I find that going as fast as possible and spending the least amount of money on a project always provides the best outcomes!
Old 06-07-2013, 21:06   #72

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Well, a long time after this thread was opened I know. After a lot of thought I've proceeded to line the inside if my steel ketch with a product called 'foil board'. It's fire retardant, waterproof, won't delaminate and its cheap ($30 for 2.4x1.2 sheet of 25mm thickness). It gives an r2 rating in summer and 1.5 in winter. I've just finished lining the roof and it is easy to cut and then squeezes into the compartments. Then I use a glazing silastic to seal the edges.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 22:00   #73

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We used a material that looked like bubble wrap almost!! It has a r11 rateing and is light and can be installed with 4200 or something like that! Comes in sheets up to 4 ft wide, can be cut with sissors. We used 2 layers which was about 1/2 in thick and gave us r22 and really made a great difference in our steel boat !! I think Lowes has it ! just a thought! O and it's waterproof and bugs and rats will not touch it ! as they will other types of stuff !!!
Old 06-07-2013, 22:31   #74

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
We used a material that looked like bubble wrap almost!! It has a r11 rateing and is light and can be installed with 4200 or something like that! Comes in sheets up to 4 ft wide, can be cut with sissors. We used 2 layers which was about 1/2 in thick and gave us r22 and really made a great difference in our steel boat !! I think Lowes has it ! just a thought! O and it's waterproof and bugs and rats will not touch it ! as they will other types of stuff !!!
R22, you must be a yank, (lol). That's about 3-3.5 in the rest of the world. That's pretty good. Is it rigid, or do you have to glue it in place?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 22:45   #75

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Its like bubble wrap! very flexable and easy to work with! I used 5200 du pont to glue it up ( came onto a bunch a week past the useable date for free) believe me in the 6yrs we kept the boat after we removed the old tatterd insulation, the bubble stuff never moved or came loose anywhere at all ! Comes in rolls 3 or 4 ft wide