Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2018, 00:22   #1

Induction Hob from inverter?

I've read recently a few people using induction hobs on their boats even with modest solar and battery banks.

I'm curious who is doing this, how much solar they have and what models of induction hob they've used?

I've got 420w of solar on 450ah batteries and a 2000va (1700w) inverter. We produce more solar power than we need when the sun is out. Recon that setup would be sufficient for a small single hob induction hob?
northcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 02:37   #2

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Re: Induction Hob from inverter?

Surely it depends on the power of the induction hob.

1000w for a hour is only roughly 83amps plus losses so fine. More than that and you probably will have an issue. I doubt a 1kw hob is going to be very impressive.

Also the more ferrous your pots and pans, the more prone they are going to be to rusting. Even more so if you ever wash them with salt water.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 06:41   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Induction stovetop/hobs come in a wide span of settings, starting with a 100-watt simmer setting, and rising to as much as 3,300 watts for a boil.
A 2000-watt electric stove uses about 320 watt-hours to boil 2 litres of water in 9 minutes 50 seconds.
The same job takes a gas range 8 minutes 18 seconds and requires 3100 watt-hours (converted from Btu).
A 2800-watt induction unit boils 2 litres in about 4 minutes 46 seconds, using about 225 watt-hours.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 07:13   #4

The size of your batteries is not THAT important, what counts is your generation capability.

Your 420W panels will make about 125 Amp-hrs on a nice sunny day. Charged into 14 volts, that’s about 1750 Watt-hours. Enough to run a typical burner plate for an hour. With nothing left over for anything else.

Still sound like a good idea to you?
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 09:08   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

We run our hot water tank 1200w element from 300Ahr of sealed lead batteries, BUT we only do it in bursts of 5-10 minutes which is sufficient, otherwise the voltage drops below 12V even when the batteries are 100%. If you are running an induction hob at highish power, I see voltage drop as the biggest issue not capacity or recharging. We have 480W of solar and 95% of the time we get back to 100% by lunch time. So it will depend on the power you require and duration of use whether it will work
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 09:18   #6

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcave View Post
I've read recently a few people using induction hobs on their boats even with modest solar and battery banks.

I'm curious who is doing this, how much solar they have and what models of induction hob they've used?

I've got 420w of solar on 450ah batteries and a 2000va (1700w) inverter. We produce more solar power than we need when the sun is out. Recon that setup would be sufficient for a small single hob induction hob?
At the high currents required to do the cooking, the solar power on most any boat is not directly relevant - nearly all the current required will have to come from house bank. You have only 450AH bank, just like I do. If you regularly have enough solar power to recharge those AH, the hob might be a good choice as long as it isn't overused.

We use an electric rice cooker, maybe once every two days, but we also charge batteries with a generator usually at the same time.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 09:52   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

Funnily enough I just bought one yesterday, hasn't been delivered yet. Will see if it works. If it doesn't it was only 90 CAD

500 watts of solar (though 200 watts of it is not placed well), 400ah of lifepo4 batteries (so not worried about voltage drop) and a 2000 watt inverter.

Note that apparently according to the reviews a pure sine inverter is needed.
Old 27-04-2018, 12:27   #8

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

This is been brought up before and some of the answers seem bizarre to me. I have roughly equivalent of the OP's system. Plus small output wind generators. Bottom line is most days I have excessive electricity that I put to use making tea, reheating food ,frying some eggs ,toasting some bread, excetera. No I cannot run it for 1 hour on high without depleting the batteries. but I could easily keep something warm for hours. Search other threads because I have doubled the time between filling up my propane tanks since I bought my induction heater. And doubled again with my solar oven but that's a whole nother story. PS some of the answers were spot-on I'm just talkin about the naysayers.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 10:44   #9

Think you’re on the right track. Our double Hob from Andrew James works fine from our 240v Inverter. My wife loves it as it only heats the contents of the pots /pans, not the entire galley!
Unlike an electric kettle which pulls down max power all the time our Hob pulses power in on/of cycles for max efficiency. Easily controlled.
Happy Wife, Happy Wife
Good luck 😉
Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 15:46   #10

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Make sure your inverter is pure sine. An induction hotplate won't work otherwise.
Oops I see alctel has already pointed this out
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:29   #11

Location: South Africa curent saling to the Bahamas from Annapolis
Boat: Knysna 500SE

A friend of mine removed his gas hob and replaced with two 30cm wide induction hobs (for redundancy) and his insurance premium was reduced by a good margin as he no longer had gas on his boat (they were happy with the stern BBQ as the gas was not central to the boat and the gas bottle for that was off the stern)

So probably another positive to add to the ones I have seen above.

I am definitely going this route on my new build
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:19   #12

Boat: Sabre 38

We use an 1800 watt induction cook top (NuWave) as our main source of cooking. Powered via a 2000 watt inverter, a 650 amp hour bank and 400 watts of solar. We have been using this set up daily for a year while cruising the Caribbean. Other than about 50 amp hours of charge we pick up while making water every few days, solar takes care of our needs.

Gord is right and this is an important point. I hardly ever use the 1800 watt setting. Boiling water for coffee is more around 800 watts and cooking meats is around 1200 watts. I'd say we average 60 amp hours a day for cooking and we do a fair amount of it.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter