Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 12:06   #1
cruiser

Induction Cooktop

We purchased an induction cooktop hot plate for our galley this past summer.... what a great product!

In the Med, obtaining fuel for our propane stove is always a problem, usually unavailable north of Spain, so we're stuck using very expensive butane from those ridiculous little camping bottles. The problem was solved when we bought an induction cooktop for around $100. It heats up food (not the plate itself) extremely quick almost like a microwave, and uses very little electrical power. We need to run the generator everyday anyway to charge the batteries, so now we just do so when we also use the induction cooktop and the quick boiler kettle prior to mealtime in order to increase the load on the generator, so that it's happy too.

Hot water, food cooked quickly with excellent heat control, and we now use nearly zero propane and butane.

I just thought I'd pass along this idea, which was passed on to me by some liveaboard friends.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 00:52   #2

Boat: 45ft Ketch
Re: Induction cooktop

I like it. LiFePO4 batteries the next step?
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 20:12   #3

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We purchased an induction cooktop hot plate for our galley this . It heats up food (not the plate itself) extremely quick almost like a microwave, and uses very little electrical power..
Actually it heats up the metal pot not the food, that is why you can only use iron or steel pots.
The hot food and pot can transfer it's heat to the cooker surface and make it too hot to touch sometimes and you have to be careful after use. I have one in my apartment which I use occasionally. It came with a very thin metal pot which is OK for wet dishes but useless for frying because it actually heats up to much and glows red-hot and burns the food. But heavy cast iron works great.

I am interested in your comments because I have been thinking of using an induction cooker for the same reasons you give. In the marina I can connect to shore power but I don't want to have to start the motor everytime I want too boil water for a cuppa. Have you tried running it off the inverter? How many watts does yours draw? Do you know if there are any 12V models out there?
Old 15-10-2013, 20:48   #4
cruiser

Plugged into shore power, we are able to use one induction cooktop without any issues without tripping the breaker. At anchor, the cooktop is able to run off the battery bank and inverter alone, but generally, we use it during the time we're also charging the batteries via the generator or underway via the alternator.

Generators like to see a significant load, so we use the time charging to heat water via the water heater and use the major appliances like the microwave and induction cookers.

We have a US boat, so while in the EU everything runs through the inverter to convert to 110v.
Old 15-10-2013, 23:45   #5
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

whats the price and approx amp draw of your unit? can you link a similar one online?
Thanks
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 04:05   #6
cruiser

We purchased two NuWave portable induction cooktops. Each cost $99 via a local discount store. Probably about the same price through amazon.com. You'll need to check online to find out the amp draw, I dont have the packaging. The cooktops come with a fry pan.
Old 16-10-2013, 04:15   #7

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Im curious how the food taste and the power draw? I have heard neither is very good...
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 04:31   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The NuWave Precision Induction Cooktop uses between 600W (5A @ 120v) on Low, to 1300W (10.83A @ 120v) on Sear.
Induction Cooktop | Buy Cooktops | FAQ - NuWavePIC.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 06:00   #9

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Im curious how the food taste and the power draw? I have heard neither is very good...
I'm curious how you think the cooktop would affect the taste of the food? Induction has the speed and controllability of gas without the excess heat and moisture as a byproduct of combustion.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 06:01   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
The food tastes the same as when cooked over the propane stove, the only difference, is that the induction unit heats up much faster. Power draw is insignificant, since we use the induction cooktop while the generator is running to charge the batteries.

Thanks Gord for the power consumption information.
Old 16-10-2013, 06:20   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

If using these offshore good to keep a spare top. Seen two cracked.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 06:24   #12

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post

I'm curious how you think the cooktop would affect the taste of the food? Induction has the speed and controllability of gas without the excess heat and moisture as a byproduct of combustion.
Many of the negative reviews mention food tastes rubbery. I dont think anything just asked the question s based on lots of negative reviews. Barnakiel mentions durability issues which also is a major complaint as well.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 09:42   #13

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

The cooktops are usually tempered glass. The one we've used has a plastic control panel that is level with the cooktop - not a great idea as it's too easy to slide a hot pot over the panel and melt/warp it. There are commercial units available - check amazon - that are likely more durable. Or go cheap and replace as required - Target carries them - about $70.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 04:21   #14

Induction doesn't sear as well as gas. But you can use less oil and the food usually doesn't stick to the pan. It heats up the water VERY quickly and milk boils literally while you're still watching.

Ideally it would be great to have both: gas for when you don't want/can't run the generator and for particular dishes, and induction for when you want to generate less ambient heat and have plenty of energy available.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 05:06   #15
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

in case any of you are wondering, "can i taste the food before i buy the cooktop"
the restaurant "The Melting Pot" only uses these cooktops, at every table.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote