Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 19:22   #31

Boat: AMF Sunfish, Hobie One,(Holder 14) Rhodes Conntenetal 22 and Sea-Ray, Ski Ray 180.
Re: Induction cooktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The NuWave Precision Induction Cooktop uses between 600W (5A @ 120v) on Low, to 1300W (10.83A @ 120v) on Sear.
Induction Cooktop | Buy Cooktops | FAQ - NuWavePIC.com
This is all true but the initial start up amprege consumption must be rather high. I took mine camping and tried to use a 1500 watt inverter to no avail.
But it could be the inverterer as it was from Harbour Freight hooke to a 12 V car battery.

FYI Nuwave sells these little gadgets, (two actually*BOGO* free, plus the throw in a mini counter top convection oven and all the pans you would ever need for a small family (stainless steel with an iron bottom and ceramic non stick coating. Total cost including shipping and tax was, for me, about $325.00.

I use this system at home exclusively. I actually pulled the circuit breaker to the range. I don't have a microwave either. My electric bill decreased.
I plan on using it on my live aboard. Safty feature- no flame or hot surface-spills wont catch fire.
puregeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 18:59   #32

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Sheesh, you rich guys.

Bunnings $13.85 single burner propane stove. Costs about $2 a week for gas.

Gasmate Butane Single Burner Portable Stove I/N 3170991 | Bunnings Warehouse

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:21   #33

Boat: AMF Sunfish, Hobie One,(Holder 14) Rhodes Conntenetal 22 and Sea-Ray, Ski Ray 180.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Many of the negative reviews mention food tastes rubbery. I dont think anything just asked the question s based on lots of negative reviews. Barnakiel mentions durability issues which also is a major complaint as well.
negative reviews mention food taste rubbery
The only kitchen item that would or could cause such a problem is the microwave. Of course you can use any heat transfer device to overcook any food.
I have revamped my "kitchens" to include a table top convection oven and two counter top "Precision Induction Cooktops" The PIC can be adjusted to any temperature from 100* to 700* without heat. I know that sounds like an oxymoron but it is a fact. Tessler had this idea nearly 100 years ago and no one listened.
I use kitchens in a plural sense as I am referring to my home, camper and soon my boat. I can even safely cook inside my pup tent as there is no flame or hot electric element to cause a fire or fumes.
William A. Ward
puregeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 21:05   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
Sheesh, you rich guys.

Bunnings $13.85 single burner propane stove. Costs about $2 a week for gas.

Gasmate Butane Single Burner Portable Stove I/N 3170991 | Bunnings Warehouse
Not recommended inside the boat. Any leaked gas will accumulate in the bilge, creating an explosion hazard. Propane and butane should be kept in a gas locker with drain overboard, with shutoff valve outside the cabin. Gas is not something to mess around with on a boat.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 21:56   #35

Would it be insane to consider using a Nuwave with an inverter and about 500 watts of solar plus two batteries?
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 03:01   #36

Boat: Kelsall Kelly 42' Catamaran

On our cat we pulled all the propane out and went with the nuwave induction cook tops and are now looking at their oven to replace our toaster oven. We have had the cooktops for over a year and love them. They only heat the pan bottom and it really helps to keep the heat down on those hot summer days. They heat up as fast or faster then gas and you can control the heat much better. Like anything else there are trade offs you have to have enough power to run everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1389955746.024802.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	74150  
rjdives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 10:14   #37

Boat: IP 31' sloop

I just ordered two PIC induction thingies. I purchased the 1800w units. If I just use it at half throttle, does that mean it would use half the draw on amps?
Old 17-01-2014, 12:33   #38

Boat: Kelsall Kelly 42' Catamaran

Here is the power required for the different settings
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1389990692.927300.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	74161  
rjdives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 13:02   #39

I used a freestanding induction unit both at home and in the motorhome for several years. Broke out some serious cash last year and purchased an Electrolux slide in range for the stick home. Induction is the most fuel efficient form of cooking and provides instant temperature regulation like gas. It is also very safe. If you remove the pan from the burner it automatically shuts down. If the pot overheats like when running dry, they also shut down. During foul weather while motor homing we hated running the propane stove with limited ventilation.

There are built in units for motorhomes that would surely work on Sailboats as well. Here is a video put out by Tiffin Motorhomes about the unit they use in theirs.

Old 18-01-2014, 18:58   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Im curious how the food taste and the power draw? I have heard neither is very good...

Actually, the food comes out excellent. Because of it's precise heat control, you can get the pan to the precise temp. required to cook the specific item
without burning it. For example, I've been producing perfect fluffy omelets that don't break, are very slightly browned without any burning and they slide right out of the pan using 310*.

Pancakes rival the very best I've ever had in a restaurant in terms of perfect texture and light, even cooking.

I did some lamb chops and seared them on both sides and then slowly cooked them to perfection at 275*. Same with steaks. Sear both sides on a cast iron griddle, then cook them to medium rare while some of the juices reduce in the grooves and impart more flavor to the meat. While a mesquite or oak fire would taste even better, as far as electric cooking goes, this is as good as it gets.

I bought 2 of the "Pro" model which can go up to 1800 watts and allows temp settings in 5* increments. I bought mine directly from NuWave and they threw in 2 heavy duty stainless frying pans (9" and 11.5") and the stainless 3.5 qt pot with lid, fondue accessories and steamer tray.

While I do have a regular outdoor gas grill and a Traeger pellet smoker, I've been practicing cooking on the induction cooker to see if I like the results enough to take it onboard when I finally buy a cat.

An 1100 watt microwave uses about 1800w when running, although the induction cooker will be running a little longer than a microwave, it is more efficient than either gas or electric burners at transferring heat through the pan to the food.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 19:12   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Here's a short video on the NuWave model ($99) we have onboard. We'll be adding the grill top next season:

I didn't like their price for the grill top, about $30, plus shipping was outrageous. I bought a large one from Walmart that can be used on one cooktop or spanned across both for big meals, for $16.

They also have a smaller one, same size as the Nuwave, for about $14.
Old 18-01-2014, 19:20   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Would it be insane to consider using a Nuwave with an inverter and about 500 watts of solar plus two batteries?

That's way too little solar power and far too few batteries to be using up to 1300 or 1800 watts for cooking.

If you had an inverter that did power sharing and ran a Honda 2000 or 3000 in conjunction with it, then you could get away with it.
Old 18-01-2014, 19:34   #43
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I didn't like their price for the grill top, about $30, plus shipping was outrageous. I bought a large one from Walmart that can be used on one cooktop or spanned across both for big meals, for $16.

They also have a smaller one, same size as the Nuwave, for about $14.
Where did you find the grill top in Walmart, I've looked in the store a couple of times. Do you have a brand name for both models? Please post it on this thread so I can ask for it by name the next time I'm at Walmart. And please send me a PM.

Thanks

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 09:12   #44

The large one is Stansport 9"x20" cast iron griddle. It's double sided, smooth on one and grooves on the other, it sells for $15.12 at Walmart online.

The smaller one was about 10", round, double sided. I saw it in the store for about $14.xx.
Old 19-01-2014, 09:30   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I have recently discovered the way to cook food in a beer cooler..You can buy a machine that does the same thing,but I will leave that to the pro.chefs of the world...I put 2 steaks in a ziplock type bag,(squeeze out the air) cooler filled with hot water(not quite boiling) and about 15 min. later I had a perfect steak..It cant over cook as you put the temp. of the water in the cooler at the temp. you want to cook at..works great if you like it rare to well done...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote