Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2014, 09:44   #46
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Induction cooktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I have recently discovered the way to cook food in a beer cooler..You can buy a machine that does the same thing,but I will leave that to the pro.chefs of the world...I put 2 steaks in a ziplock type bag,(squeeze out the air) cooler filled with hot water(not quite boiling) and about 15 min. later I had a perfect steak..It cant over cook as you put the temp. of the water in the cooler at the temp. you want to cook at..works great if you like it rare to well done...
Really!!??!! Why not just puree and microwave it into a clump of unrecognizable pink protein?

seasoning, searing, caramelizing provides 90% of the taste of a well cooked steak
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 10:52   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Really!!??!! Why not just puree and microwave it into a clump of unrecognizable pink protein?

seasoning, searing, caramelizing provides 90% of the taste of a well cooked steak
Oh well,..so much for that fad! I thought it was the cats whiskers..it was a neat trick anyways..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 06:25   #48

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

It's called 'sous vide' and is apparently all the rage. Normally done for longer at a lower temperature. And you can season and pan-sear the meat as well. A decent primer: Sous-Vide 101: Prime Steak Primer | Serious Eats
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 13:33   #49
cruiser

Instead of buying the Nuwave grill pan, I'm going to purchase the Nuwave Oven Mini for baking and grilling. Looks small enough for the boat, whereas the Nuwave oven looks a little big. Using an extention cord, I'm hoping to be able to cook fish on the stern deck and eliminate the lingering odor caused when it's cooked in the galley. The lid should also contain the splatter.

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 18:06   #50

Boat: Freedom 38

I was skeptical of the induction cooktop, but now I'm a convert. It has really saved me from getting the LPG tanks filled all the time and it's super quick to boil a pot of water. However, it doesn't work on regular pans. I went out and bought new ones specifically for induction cooking, but I'm told that one way to find out whether your pan works is to stick a magnet to it.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 18:40   #51
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

No problem in Asia getting propane refills and with 2 stainless tanks… we are good for at least 3 months.

We do not have an Oven but instead use this Turbo Broiler for any baking or roasting.

The most moist chicken ever in 45 minutes and if weather is good, we put it outside so no heat inside the cabin….. My girlfriend loves it.

You don't need the foil as it cleans easy and it is better to turn after 25 minutes
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 19:18   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I'm told that one way to find out whether your pan works is to stick a magnet to it.
That's correct!
Old 22-01-2014, 19:22   #53

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Would it be insane to consider using a Nuwave with an inverter and about 500 watts of solar plus two batteries?
should work fine for short cooking times. you're drawing watts off the inverter, so the max watts you get depend on the inverter. the max time you can draw those watts depends on the size of your battery bank, and two batteries might not be enough to run the inverter for very long.

since you're talking 500 watts of solar, i would think you'd have a lot bigger battery bank.

the reason i think it should work fine is that the induction stove cooks food pretty quickly, so you won't be using it for very long periods of time. also i notice from the chart that someone provided is that you don't need to run the cooker at 1300 watts. for instance, to get 300 degrees on the cooktop you only need 800 watts from the inverter. but that's about 80 amps per hour. so size your battery bank accordingly....

in any case, get more batteries.....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 20:19   #54

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Im told it is best to finish it off with a few seconds high temp grill or searing to give it that nice caramelised surface

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-01-2014, 21:10   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I have recently discovered the way to cook food in a beer cooler..You can buy a machine that does the same thing,but I will leave that to the pro.chefs of the world...I put 2 steaks in a ziplock type bag,(squeeze out the air) cooler filled with hot water(not quite boiling) and about 15 min. later I had a perfect steak..It cant over cook as you put the temp. of the water in the cooler at the temp. you want to cook at..works great if you like it rare to well done...
There is a fancy name for that style of cooking, but I can't remember it. A buddy of mine from out in L.A. does that sort of thing on occasion. He has a pretty fancy rig with controlled temperatures & circulation. He spends a lot of time with marinades & other detailed prep activities. There is actually a whole little cottage industry that builds specialized equipment & caters to those who use that style of cooking. I'm told that most of the more sophisticated equipment goes to high end restaurants in big cities. The steaks that I had prepared that way were some of the most melt-in-your-mouth tender pieces of meat that I've ever eaten. The outcome was surprising, in a good way.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 22:24   #56

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

I'm curious what size house bank (amp hours) folks have using induction cooktops? Also what size inverter?

I have a 1500w portable induction unit and it works quite well. I tested a measured kettle of water boiling time using a cold kettle each time. The induction was right at twice as fast as the electric glass top range both in the highest setting.

Something to note on induction units: folks with pacemakers should keep a safe distance from them (2-3 ft minimum).

Halogen ovens are an interesting idea and haven't yet made my food rubbery.

I am trying to decide what fuel to change to given the scarcity of the existing setup.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 07:07   #57

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
There is a fancy name for that style of cooking, but I can't remember it.
Post #48 above.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:30   #58
cruiser

OK, we purchased the Nuwave Oven Mini last week, and cooked the frozen salmon according to the youtube video. It turned out very nice, but I think 8 minutes on each side would have been perfect. The next time, I intend to thaw the salmon prior to cooking in the Nuwave, to see if there's a difference. What was really refreshing, is that the fish splatter and odor were contained within the oven and easily cleaned up afterwards. No greasy fish odor lingering in the house. I think this oven is a winner! The mini is a little on the small side especially if cooking for more than two people, I may purchase the standard size Nuwave oven for the house.

We also tried baking cookies, which turned out perfect.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:56   #59

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31

Thinking about getting the Nuwave Oven Mini and the Nuwave stove for my boat to use while on shore power (to save propane)
Old 10-03-2014, 16:07   #60

Boat: Kelsall Kelly 42' Catamaran

We have added the nuwave oven pro to go along with the 2 nuwave cooktops. Everything cooks just like it did in a real oven without all the heat. Cook times are much less and everything turns out great. It bakes, browns and toasts, can do more then one thing at a time and have I mentioned very little heat. The Admiral was very skeptical when I removed the propane and went all electric, but now we are eating meals I haven't had in a long time. I would recommend both these units to everyone who has the power available. I have installed everything in what we call the cooking tower. They are each on pullout locking drawers for easy access and the ability to use more then one at the same time without taking up the whole counter. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1394492796.287537.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	77341
rjdives is offline   Reply With Quote