Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-10-2013, 06:33   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Re: Induction cooktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
Induction doesn't sear as well as gas. But you can use less oil and the food usually doesn't stick to the pan.
These are very strange comments. I cannot imagine how the method of heating the pan has any effect on the amount of oil used or the non-stickiness of the pan? As to searing, I can imagine that a low-powered induction unit would not get the pan as hot as gas, but if you use a 1500W or 1800W unit at high power, the pan will get just as hot as it would over a gas flame, just as fast, with the result being a similar sear.

I'm sorry, but that's as nonsensical as the comments about induction making food taste rubbery.

Old 18-10-2013, 07:37   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Very interesting. I went through the same thought--process cruising in France last summer. I thought we were running out of Calor gas, which you can't get in France. I had 5 people on board and cooking was a big deal. The choices were either to buy expensive adaptors/hoses/regulators and try to fit CampingGaz bottles, OR use some kind of electrical cooktop. We found an induction cooktop but no ordinary, cheap, old-fashioned hot plate like I wanted.

In the end, we did nothing and the gas held out (in fact I'm still using the same bottle right now!). But still thinking about induction cooking.

In principle, I have no problem with the idea of electric cooking. I have a robust battery bank and inverter, and a nice quiet generator. Gas on board is dangerous and a hassle. I might consider changing my oven/stove with an electric one, if I could find something which was a drop-in fit.

Old 18-10-2013, 10:02   #18

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Quote:
Induction doesn't sear as well as gas.
You have make a correct comparison. Not a 600W portable induction versus a 2kW gas burner.
Where I live cooking on gas is uncommon, and induction is more or less becoming the norm for modern kitchens. I can assure you that you can perfectly sear a steak on a good induction stove.
Old 23-10-2013, 14:35   #19

Boat: in between boats

Really everyone you can relax. Induction heating method has no effect on the way food looks, tastes, feels or smells when cooked. The outcome is the same as gas. So therefore if sufficient power is available this would seem a sensible choice on board.

I use a Miele induction hob in the UK at home any would choose aboard. If I had a boat. Hmmm
Old 23-10-2013, 14:52   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Here's a short video on the NuWave model ($99) we have onboard. We'll be adding the grill top next season:

Old 23-10-2013, 15:08   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Like I said on my initial post, propane is not availible in the Med, so we really don't use our oven. If we did, we'd be going through camping gas like crazy. My daughter made some cookies in the gas oven last season, and I think in the end, it would've been cheaper just to go out and buy sweets given the high cost of the camping gas. I'm in no way endorsing this Nuwave product, but we do plan to buy one and test it out here at home, and then hopefully, add it to the galley onboard next summer.

Old 28-10-2013, 06:48   #22

We have a good propane gas stove with oven. Last season we added an induction hot plate to the boat. As it turned out we had bought new pots and pans the previous year and they are induction compatible. If you do not have the right type of pan it will not work well.

We cook with a gas range at home so are quite familiar with gas cooking. Most of the heat with gas goes up the sides of the pan and into the room. It is a very inefficient way to heat a pot of water, you need a big gas burner and don't use most of the heat produced.

We have a 3.5 kw generator on board so could use the induction cook top at anchor if we wanted to. We use it mostly in a slip. It is usually used in the galley but can be moved to the cockpit if it is very warm. For entertaining we can use it as a warmer to keep a meal warm until ready to serve guests.

We really liked induction cooking a lot. Very efficient heats only the bottom of the pan. Gas heats the sides of the pan and the whole cabin up. It cooks much faster than gas, the handles on the pan don't get dangerously hot. It simmers much better than gas with a very even heat.

When we buy a new stove at home it will be induction. We will buy an induction hot plate for use at home as well.

We still use our propane stove and oven on the boat but much less than we used to. With a propane BBQ and the induction cook top the propane bottles last a long time.

The cook top was on sale at Amazon.com for about $75.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	induction cooker.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	69442  
Old 28-10-2013, 06:58   #23

Boat: 38' French Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post

Many of the negative reviews mention food tastes rubbery. I dont think anything just asked the question s based on lots of negative reviews. Barnakiel mentions durability issues which also is a major complaint as well.
I want to apologize i was confused on these i was referring to that new wave oven that has alot of negative reviews not the induction plates those rock!
Old 29-10-2013, 01:10   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
You have make a correct comparison. Not a 600W portable induction versus a 2kW gas burner.
Where I live cooking on gas is uncommon, and induction is more or less becoming the norm for modern kitchens. I can assure you that you can perfectly sear a steak on a good induction stove.
That makes sense, thank you.
Old 29-10-2013, 01:40   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
These are very strange comments. I cannot imagine how the method of heating the pan has any effect on the amount of oil used or the non-stickiness of the pan? As to searing, I can imagine that a low-powered induction unit would not get the pan as hot as gas, but if you use a 1500W or 1800W unit at high power, the pan will get just as hot as it would over a gas flame, just as fast, with the result being a similar sear.

I'm sorry, but that's as nonsensical as the comments about induction making food taste rubbery.
First you explain why my comment, while not relevant because I'm comparing different things, makes sense: low power induction versus high output gas. Then you apologise and say it's nonsensical. Please explain.
Old 29-10-2013, 06:46   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
First you explain why my comment, while not relevant because I'm comparing different things, makes sense: low power induction versus high output gas. Then you apologise and say it's nonsensical. Please explain.
How is it not relevant? You didn't say you were comparing low-power induction to high-output gas - you said 'induction doesn't sear as well as gas.' I suggested it's unfair to compare a low-powered induction "warming plate" to a gas stove - an induction hob at its 'high' setting will get the pan as hot as any gas unit; the result being a similar sear capability. You further stated that you can use less oil and the food sticks less - somehow suggesting that induction has non-stick properties.
The 'sorry' was to soften the criticism that you were spouting nonsense.
Old 29-10-2013, 08:54   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
How is it not relevant? You didn't say you were comparing low-power induction to high-output gas - you said 'induction doesn't sear as well as gas.' I suggested it's unfair to compare a low-powered induction "warming plate" to a gas stove - an induction hob at its 'high' setting will get the pan as hot as any gas unit; the result being a similar sear capability. You further stated that you can use less oil and the food sticks less - somehow suggesting that induction has non-stick properties.
The 'sorry' was to soften the criticism that you were spouting nonsense.
Old 02-11-2013, 14:39   #28

Boat: Gulfstar 37

I am new to boat ownership and was looking at the induction cook tops. My batteries charge by solar power only, no generator. I don't always plug into the shore power because the solar panels do a good job of keeping the batteries topped off. Do you think I can still use the induction cooktop?
Old 02-11-2013, 15:20   #29

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticKnotworkJ View Post
I am new to boat ownership and was looking at the induction cook tops. My batteries charge by solar power only, no generator. I don't always plug into the shore power because the solar panels do a good job of keeping the batteries topped off. Do you think I can still use the induction cooktop?

That's almost a math question. Doesn't have as much to do with induction versus other cooktops...

How many watts/amps do you have available? From shore power, probably fine; from an inverter away from shore, depends...

And then how many does your AC candidate cooktop need. I'd guess they're available at different power levels, like microwaves... but I don't know that for sure.

-Chris
Old 02-11-2013, 19:44   #30

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticKnotworkJ View Post
I've been following this thread closely because I want to reduce my dependence on gas too.

I've learnt that they use a lot of power while operating but very efficiently. Therefore total power consumption is quite low. A good thing. The biggest problem with operating off solar cells and battery is the need to have a high capacity inverter around 2000 watts. This can be more expensive than the cooker unless you also plan to use it for things like power tools.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: