Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-05-2012, 20:58   #1

Importing a Vessel to Canada ?

hello
any experts on this? what i have is an canadian registered vessel being sold in us waters. I read that there is an excise tax that could amount to the purchase price of the boat if advertised and sold in american waters. however, i'm canadian looking to purchase this vessel which has been advertise in canada and not in the states. to save the excise tax (ill have to pay tax in canada) is it legit for the vessel to brought to canadian waters for the sale where then i simple pay the usual canada taxes?
to clearify the gentleman selling the boat is an american in american waters selling a canadian ?
best regards,
cheers

Old 07-05-2012, 22:25   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: importing a vessel to canada?

Here's a parallel question. I am a dual citizen (Canada and US) currently resident in US (17 years) taking a US Registered boat (owned for several years) into Canada where it will stay year-round. Eventually I will resume Canadian residency. Taxes? Import duty? Excise? Payable? and When?

Old 10-05-2012, 12:08   #3

Boat: Gozzard 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by koalla
hello
any experts on this? what i have is an canadian registered vessel being sold in us waters. I read that there is an excise tax that could amount to the purchase price of the boat if advertised and sold in american waters. however, i'm canadian looking to purchase this vessel which has been advertise in canada and not in the states. to save the excise tax (ill have to pay tax in canada) is it legit for the vessel to brought to canadian waters for the sale where then i simple pay the usual canada taxes?
to clearify the gentleman selling the boat is an american in american waters selling a canadian ?
best regards,
cheers
I'm no expert but my understanding is that if the boat is a registered Canadian vessel (not licensed), then you are buying all of the shares of the vessel, my boat has 64 shares. A registered vessel is like a corporation, no sales taxes on purchasing shares in a corporation. If the vessel is registered, the owner is selling his shares in a Canadian vessel, makes no difference what country he is a citizen of for your purposes, couldn't really tell what the ramifications he would have to deal with.
Try searching using Transport Canada's vessel registration query system, if it's there you'll know it's official number, the true owners etc.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:20   #4

Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Re: Importing a Vessel to Canada ?

Buy it in Alberta no sales tax
I bought a Canadian (Vancouver, BC) registered boat in California, changed the registration in BC and paid BC sales tax. Buy it in the jurisdiction you are registering the purchase in, that’s why I said Alberta.
It should not have anything to do with a US jurisdiction unless it has been imported to the US or has been too long in the US, and be careful you may need to move it out of the US in seconds, I had 7 days when I bought my boat, too little to sail so it was trucked up, it reduced the price by many k as the owner was going to have to get it out or import it.

Tags
Canada, canada

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: