Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2012, 09:22   #46
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: I'm serious - what do you do all day?

come on down to la cruz de huanacaxtle...is awesome here

bluewater--good luck in search--is a fun time...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 09:47   #47

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Thanks, yes we are very excited ... just an enormous task ahead of us to sell up everything and get our house sold lol
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 10:15   #48

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
... I used to bring much 'stuff to do' along with me, but always found that I never really got around to it...
Yep, lesson learned from my first round of cruising years ago. I put together bags with all the parts needed for a given boat project. The idea was that when I had some time on my hands, I would grab a bag and do that project. Didn't happen. I spent enough time just keeping up with normal maintenance and repairs that I did not want to spend my free time working on the damn boat -- that's not why I went cruising. Much prefer to spend my spare time snorkeling, exploring, etc....
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 10:44   #49

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I get this question often from non-sailing friends. Sometimes even just in the context of them coming down to visit for a week or two and do some cruising.

What I find interesting is that some of the are genuinely anxious about this idea -- "Oh my god, what will we do for two weeks on a boat?!".

I think it is a combination of the unknown and a habituation to the extremely overstimulated life styles of many in developed countries. I think that just the thought of being in an unfamiliar situation and away from all that over stimulation and manic activity causes some of them anxiety.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 19:49   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor
I get this question often from non-sailing friends. Sometimes even just in the context of them coming down to visit for a week or two and do some cruising.

What I find interesting is that some of the are genuinely anxious about this idea -- "Oh my god, what will we do for two weeks on a boat?!".

I think it is a combination of the unknown and a habituation to the extremely overstimulated life styles of many in developed countries. I think that just the thought of being in an unfamiliar situation and away from all that over stimulation and manic activity causes some of them anxiety.
The real problem comes if you have to go back to work after cruising for a while. You understand you don't fit in the rat race.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 20:07   #51

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

We all left out one big thing. Thanks Puritan immigrants.
SEX!
We have a lot more sex than when we were super busy and super stressed out all the time. I like that.
Old 23-09-2012, 20:23   #52

Boat: Tayana 37

Great thread! This is the best of CF when all the old salts bring their expert advise and wonderful sense's of humour. Thanks for making my day.
Old 23-09-2012, 22:04   #53

Boat: Hans Christian 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by outforaduck View Post
HI all
I'm a little embarrassed to even ask this question but what the heck. Like many more before me I've been getting to know you all for the last couple of years by lurking in the wings...
Our plan is made. We can buy the boat in 3 years, the Med is first and that may be as far as we get but no matter. Our intention is to live aboard and travel.

Life is busy now. A business, older teenagers, two dogs, you know the story. What fills your day? We've never had time to spare on a 7 day a week basis. We're mid 40's by the way. Boat maintenance will be time consuming, I understand that. Exploring, provisioning, sailing from A - B...I must be missing loads more - any suggestions...
I have not read the other replies. Just responding directly to your post. We just got done with our shake-down cruise. We have a 2 year old and I'm 19 weeks pregnant, so our cruising may be very different from yours.

Our day usually looked like:

Morning, make breakfast on boat, my husband had to place work phone calls while I would putter around boat, entertain toddler, etc.

Mid-morning to lunch, hit up the playground on shore and play. Grab something to make lunch and then back to boat for lunch and then nap time for our toddler. I would rest (again, pregnant My husband would usually use that time to work on the boat, work on work stuff, or go work out.

Afternoon, we would all go to the beach, play in the water, and then showers all around. Possibly do laundry.

Early evening, dinner time and then bed for the little one.

Evening, once the toddler was in bed we would hang out and talk, watch movies, or read.

Very pleasant and amazing how fast a day goes by
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2012, 22:38   #54

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
What is with the sex everyday jazz? Act your ages! Lol
Old 24-09-2012, 01:25   #55

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

I absolutely agree with you. Most become so "acclimatized" to the familiarity of a stimulated (not in a good way), manic lifestyle in the ratrace that the mere thought of not having it will stimulate anxiety. Thank goodness I have no qualms about our intended lifestyle change ... in short, we can't wait to live properly on our boat. What we have been doing does not amount to "living life".
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 02:13   #56

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I generally find the day just disappears. Vi usually get into a sunrise to sunset routine (you'll find your body likes that). Oh lots of times we'll sit up and watch the stars with a glass of wine, but other times we follow the sun.

Morning, make coffee and enjoy in bed with the admiral (good time to practice sex), afterwards, get breakfast going, get the weather report (imperative needs to be done twice a day). breakfast done, start on boat projects - there's always something that needs fixing, internet, do some writing. get the shopping done, sightsee. By now itøs dinnertime and since we like to eat well, this is time consuming. I make everything from scratch so dinner can take an hour or to to make.

Or visit the neighbors for a sundowner or two - grill on the beach with them (or alone).

The above may not sound very exciting, but the days slip by and we really don't notice. I never seem to get bored - and there is always some work that needs ot be done on the boat.

Try it - after a month or two you'll wonder how you ever enjoyed the ratrace.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 07:37   #57
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post

if one acts ones age, one dies too early.

folks used to tell me i would sooo miss nursing in emergency and critical care areas--LOL----NOT-- sometimes i miss th erush of savging folks and successfully repairing them, but....is SOOOOO much better when not working. i lived aboard and worked from 1990 to 2005, then was disabled. isnt abad gig---sometimes i can do nothing a tall but read and ome light work--my hands dont function normally at all anymore, so even small tasks are pre-planned--try that when ye dont plan anything at all..LOL.... all tools an dscrews and nots an dbolts are bilge items if i dont get assistance in th eprojct, so i find successfully completed projects are a golden gift. there are still some precious boat bums in cruising life-- so they get my support now with my meager income---life goes on an dis a lot of fun--is one loong string of adventures meant to be LIVED.....and enjoyed.

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 07:53   #58

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Every day I wake up, look outside and say, "It can't get any better than this!", then it does.

Took up diving last week, better and better. Sailing to Charleston in the morning, better yet! Then it's off to Florida!
Old 24-09-2012, 07:53   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Just had a 3 hour lunch here Greek style, which is leisurely to say the least.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0C05E04F-1489-4E6C-A7FB-1AFB9F67341B-764-0000011E5AC9786D_zps7112ee92.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	47015  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 07:54   #60

Boat: Lagoon 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
How old would you be if there were no calenders?
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote