Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2013, 19:24   #1

Boat: S2 9.2C
I'm moving aboard this week!

I am doing it. I've always wanted to. NOW is the time. I don't have to. I have a nice golf course condo. It's no strain to stay in it. But that is the problem. As long as I have the condo it's just to dang easy to not bother with the sailboat. So I've turned in my lease. I've been scaling back my possessions. Took a huge load of clothes to the Goodwill store today(a symptom of suicide is giving away possessions). Hooked up shore power, and A/C today. Been moving my stuff onto the boat. It is gonna force my to realize my dream. Plus it's great motivation for tackling all the items that need attention to make the boat a home. Heck, it might take a month just to organize all my stuff. And a couple more trips to Goodwill.
pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 19:27   #2

Re: I'm moving aboard this week!

Congratulations! We've been living aboard for 6 months and working toward cruising. It takes some effort, but is well-worth it!
“So, if I asked you about art, you'd probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written…But I bet you can't tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You've never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling.”
Blc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 19:29   #3

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Congrats! Hope it all works out for you.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 19:35   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Congrats.
Feels good to unload all that stuff, don't it?
Now life will become simple.
been living aboard around 13 or 14 years so far. Now 66 and me and admiral still don't even think about dirt dwelling again.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 19:38   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotdave View Post
I am doing it. I've always wanted to. NOW is the time. I don't have to. I have a nice golf course condo. It's no strain to stay in it. But that is the problem. As long as I have the condo it's just to dang easy to not bother with the sailboat. So I've turned in my lease. I've been scaling back my possessions. Took a huge load of clothes to the Goodwill store today(a symptom of suicide is giving away possessions). Hooked up shore power, and A/C today. Been moving my stuff onto the boat. It is gonna force my to realize my dream. Plus it's great motivation for tackling all the items that need attention to make the boat a home. Heck, it might take a month just to organize all my stuff. And a couple more trips to Goodwill.

Good for you, Dave! I did it when I was 64 and I haven't regretted it.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 22:19   #6

Boat: Westsail 32
We recently moved aboard our boat too. This first month was a series of learning experiences mixed with varying emotions of leaving land/home.

Now we are bit more settled, just taking it a day at a time.
Spicybutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 22:34   #7

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Congratulations! My wife and I are about 2 months away from moving aboard. This is an emotional roller coaster for us both... so hard to know what to get rid of and what has REAL emotional history to you.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 21:10   #8

Boat: Bertram 46.6 FBMY
Congratulations !

We digitized all pictures, I have a basic wardrobe (wish I could say that about the wife... Who needs shoes on a boat... Hahaha). Get back to the basics as you will need room for some extra tools. When you live aboard, you are always finding a new project to complete, and that makes you want to untie the ropes and move some water under the hull after "a job well done" SMILE

Enjoy !!!

Alan
Hkalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 18:15   #9

Been aboard almost a week now and I LOVE IT! I was a bit nervous at first if I could adjust to the small space. But I find it very tranquil. Although the 4th of July is a bit loud right now. I've enjoyed organizing my belongings and chucking 3/4's of my clothes. Another big load to Goodwill tomorrow. I feel like a hermit living in a cave. Which I find oddly appealing?
Old 04-07-2013, 18:47   #10

Boat: Beneteau 473
Congrats!

We moved aboard last September. We downsized 35+ years together into 39 boxes we mailed to 'General Delivery' in Puerto Rico. Another 15 boxes are stored in my sister-in-law's garage.

The transition was not always easy but really worth it!

Good luck.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 19:33   #11

Boat: Beneteau 323
Wohoo Dave. Congrats! We got rid of all the stuff (wifey once had 99 pairs of shoes) and have been aboard since May 11th. Everything we own is on a 34' boat. We have not looked back.

Our advice ditch the false security of marinas for anchorages as much as possible. Saves money and is usually easier and better. We are anchored inside the breakwater of Lorain OH tonight with fireworks exploding all around us.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:50   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
...............Our advice ditch the false security of marinas for anchorages as much as possible. Saves money and is usually easier and better. We are anchored inside the breakwater of Lorain OH tonight with fireworks exploding all around us.
'good advice from shaedennis, but tell us, Pilotdave, did you move aboard in Myrtle Beach? I know that there's not much in the way of good anchoring available in the Myrtle Beach area. We used to stop at the Barefoot Landing back in the days when it was a free dock, but more recently we've spent some time a Dock Holidays Marina when we're in the area. What have you found to best suit your needs?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:40   #13

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Congratulations. It's a dream of ours, but many many years away. Hope it works out well for you.

Matt
GILow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotdave View Post
Congratulations !! You only live once, you've got to live it in the now!
Sail 4 ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:59   #15

Yes I'm staying at the Osprey Marina in Mid Myrtle area. It's a very nice little Marina kinda out in the country on the ICW. $300 a month gets a slip, water, showers, trash and wifi. Electric is metered. It's fresh water here. Cable is available also. I decided to stay here as it's closest to work, family, friends. I'm still working, so needed the convenience of a marina. Also in the summer here AC is required.. Especially with the limited anchoring opportunities here. This Marina is very quiet, except for the frogs and crickets at night. The downside is it's a 6hr motor to get to the ocean. So in the fall I'm planning to move to Little River area where it should only take me 30 minutes or so the get to the Atlantic for a sail. That gives me about 3 months to get the boat settled in. Well, I gotta run to Home Depot for some boat supplies and then Goodwill to get rid of another load of clothes...