Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-03-2013, 13:50   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: If you Wanted to Live Aboard and had a Choice of these Places Which One and Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
From a pure sailing standpoint I would pick a place on either Long Island Sound or the Chesapeake, leaning towards the former because sailing is better (deeper water, wider water, lots of interesting destinations up and down the CT/RI/MA coast).

I'm moving shortly to Annapolis from Washington DC and will be living aboard. There is a significant liveaboard community in Annapolis and a huge focus on sailing in that area, and Annapolis itself is a fun town with lots to do. You're also 45 minutes from Washington DC and three major airports, which might be a factor, and you're a couple of hours from ski resorts in Pennsylvania. The Chesapeake is also a storied place to sail with it's fractal coastline and the gunkholing that it provides.

The Chesapeake definitely has seasons, but is right at the latitude where you get hot summers and cold winters, for better or worse.
I love all these places and we are fortunate to sail to Maine in the summers and back to Florida or the Bahamas for the winter, poking about all the places in between, but if I had to remain in one place and took your suggestion to look, "From a pure sailing standpoint", I would need a place where sailing was not restricted to a season. I don't sail north of Florida in the winter. I'm sure there are tougher people than I. I left Annapolis for Pax River on my first liveaboard boat in November, 1971 and there was a little ice up Spa Ceek. Are they sailing in Annapolis in the winter?

Old 04-03-2013, 13:51   #17

Re: If you Wanted to Live Aboard and had a Choice of these Places Which One and Why?

Fun topic. Once more perusing your list now realizing that it has to be one of these specific places I will summarize my favorites:

1. Portland, ME: beautiful cruising during the Maine summer (July and August), but much colder and longer winters if you're living aboard. Most won't venture out of the marina for six months or more of the year.
2. Hyannis, MA: again, great cruising from there in the summer, but with water warm enough to swim in and more beaches. Again, a long winter (six months) and you probably won't be leaving the dock.
3. Annapolis, MD: Very good sailing over a much longer season, and possible to do it year 'round if you have a heater onboard. Great sailing community, and lots to do ashore. Doesn't close up during the winter like Hyannis. Very hot and sticky in the summer, with thunderstorms in the afternoon.
4. Sarasota, FL: Some decent cruising, but a lot of shallow ICW too. But, you can do an overnighter to the Dry Tortugas or the Keys, and it's a good place to consider longer trips to the Bahamas and the Caribbean. Of course there are hot summers and hurricanes to worry about too. Lowest cost of living of my list.

Old 04-03-2013, 18:13   #18

Thanks for the great responses. I have been to Annapolis and it is VERY nice. Expensive of course. It is a hard decision. I have friends in DC, so that part is kind of nice. At least the occasional visit. Lots to think about.
Old 04-03-2013, 18:49   #19

Boat: Joubert Koala 24
You missed Aitutaki, Cook Islands. Or somewhere in Samoa.
Old 04-03-2013, 19:08   #20

Will you be looking for employment? single or married? kids in school? How strict of a budget? All towns mentoned for Ct are very expensive towns and don't have hardly any "marinas" more yacht clubs. and as mentioned Orange has golf courses, no boat faclities. In Ct , Milford, Stratford and Westbrook would be possablities.
Old 04-03-2013, 19:29   #21

His employment can be done in those places--that's why he chose them.
Old 04-03-2013, 19:43   #22

Boat: Catalina 310
Constitution Marina in Boston is probably the best place to live aboard in New England. It's $179 a foot for the summer and $45 a foot for the winter. If you do year round then they just divide the total by 12 and bill you that monthly. Electric is metered. They used to give you one parking space at the pay lot at the marina with year round contract.

Very well set up for winter live aboards including having the heated outdoor pool open on weekends.
Old 04-03-2013, 21:02   #23

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet
Re: If you wanted to live aboard and had a choice of this places which one and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
they are all cities..lots of people......

what about more remote locals with some beauty..like places in upstate ny or rhode island or apalachiacola, fla....port st joe, fla...sacramento river delta....
remote will work
Old 05-03-2013, 09:37   #24

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
You have never sailed Maine then.
I have sailed Maine, a lot. I love Maine. But for a place to call my home port I consider Long Island Sound to be more varied and more manageable for a four season sailor.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:42   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I love all these places and we are fortunate to sail to Maine in the summers and back to Florida or the Bahamas for the winter, poking about all the places in between, but if I had to remain in one place and took your suggestion to look, "From a pure sailing standpoint", I would need a place where sailing was not restricted to a season. I don't sail north of Florida in the winter. I'm sure there are tougher people than I. I left Annapolis for Pax River on my first liveaboard boat in November, 1971 and there was a little ice up Spa Ceek. Are they sailing in Annapolis in the winter?
The Chesapeake has quite a few mild days sprinkled in throughout the winter, and I've gone out quite a few times in December/January/February. Very little traffic and great conditions. Yes, you get ice up the creeks now and then but you also get days in the 60's.

I think Florida is very attractive for year-round sailing, although you pay for the privilege in July and August.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:47   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcurtis View Post
I am not that old, so I still like seasons. I AM on a budget and will have a 40' yacht. What do you think about these places?

Portland, ME
Portsmouth, NH
Hyannis, MA
Peabody, MA
Boston, MA
Darien, CT
Orange, CT
Fairfield, CT
Westport, CT
Annapolis, MD
Newport, VA
Virginia Beach, VA
Williamsburg, VA
Wilmington, NC
Mt. Pleasant, SC
Charleston, SC
Sarasota/Venice, FL
Every place on your list is a compromise of some sort. That's why there is a large liveaboard community that summers in one place and winters in another. Is that an option for you? If so then I would certainly consider wintering in SC/FL, and summering MD or farther north.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:55   #27

Boat: S2 9.2C

In the mid Atlantic you can get to descent skiing in about a six hour drive. Winterplace in VA isn't horrible. I usually go up one morn, ski all day, spend the night ski next day, drive home. Quick fix. I live in Myrtle Bch.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:33   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I think Florida is very attractive for year-round sailing, although you pay for the privilege in July and August.
Thanks for the answer about winter in Annapolis. I don't pay for winter in Florida,- I'm north of Annapolis in Juy and August!
Old 05-03-2013, 20:25   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Thanks for the answer about winter in Annapolis. I don't pay for winter in Florida,- I'm north of Annapolis in Juy and August!
Today it was a gorgeous day, clear and in the low 50's. Tonight we're getting 5" of snow. That's Maryland in March for ya.
Old 05-03-2013, 20:32   #30

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcurtis View Post
I am not that old, so I still like seasons. I AM on a budget and will have a 40' yacht. What do you think about these places?

Portland, ME
Portsmouth, NH
Hyannis, MA
Peabody, MA
Boston, MA
Darien, CT
Orange, CT
Fairfield, CT
Westport, CT
Annapolis, MD
Newport, VA
Virginia Beach, VA
Williamsburg, VA
Wilmington, NC
Mt. Pleasant, SC
Charleston, SC
Sarasota/Venice, FL
I'm not sure if you are asking where I would like to live, or where I think you might like to live.

Do you like a party/night life atmosphere?
Will you spend all the seasons in one location?
Are you prepared for the difficulties/expenses of wintering in those northern climates?
What do you think makes for a favorable environment?

For myself, I would choose a location with easy access to an active beach lifestyle, moderate year around weather, and access to opportunities to work, meet people, and pursue whatever other interests I might have.

Tags
wanted

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: