Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2014, 01:16   #1

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
I'd Rather Be Sailing

What a weekend.
We hauled Wind Wanderer on Friday. We used the biggest lift on the lake, a 40 ton travel lift at Marmong point, and it just coped. We're 30 ton but it was the distribution. We were maxed out at 20 ton on the forward sling.
At 65ft tip to tip we're the biggest boat they've ever done, which they only told us afterwards!

By 3pm (4 hours later) we'd pressure cleaned and were in a cradle, with an inch to spare each side. Sandy and I scraped the persistent Schwarzenegger barnacles off and we got half the port side spot primed before yard lockout at 5pm.

Next morning we were there at 8am opening and by 10:30 we had completed the priming and I started mask taping. 1:30 we started rolling on the antifoul, with our power tools, Power Bek and Power Anthony. We had the first coat on by 4pm and called it a day.

This morning we were there at 9 and had the use of Power Tim and Power Craig too. I got an extra coat around the waterline while the others changed anodes, did brush work and sanded and coated the prop with a product we're trialing. It's still at R and D stage but it's supposed to be like Prop Speed, so we'll see how long it lasts.

Then the nightmare. 15 Litres wasn't going to make it and the nearest place that had more was an hour away. I got them to hold it and jumped in the car (12 noon). On the way I ran into a storm heading toward the yard. Trees down and delays while they were cut away, but I got the paint and was back at the yard just ahead of the storm.
We moved into high gear and 4 of us had the last coat on in 35 minutes, and it was done properly too.
Masking tape off and last coat skinned as the first drops started.

Three hard days and a saving of $2500 on the yard quote, excluding masseurs, pain killers and therapeutic alcohol. Family may not talk to us for a few days, but they still have to love us.

We had a stream of lookers stopping by to talk. Apparently the consensus is that we're living the dream!
Are you kidding me?
Or were they blind?

I guess it beats working

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 02:19   #2

Re: I'd Rather Be Sailing

I suppose even a living nightmare could be (mis)labelled 'living the dream' ...

Nice story, thanks !
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 03:14   #3
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Nightmares are dreams too.

Sounds like a good productive weekend to me
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 03:44   #4

It's a job I've been dreading. None of the others had ever antifouled before, including Sandy.
So I'm proud of the lot of them, and it does feel like a weekend well spent. Now just fingers crossed for the lift and splash tomorrow. If they scratch it, someone has to die...

Vic

Old 16-03-2014, 04:02   #5

When they lift try and balance the loads on the slings. Then put some 'sling' labels on the hull. Sure beats having to guess and takes one element of stress away for next time. Always good to splash, happy cruising!
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 05:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
When they lift try and balance the loads on the slings. Then put some 'sling' labels on the hull. Sure beats having to guess and takes one element of stress away for next time. Always good to splash, happy cruising!
Good idea. I'll do that.
I had photos from when we lifted her in St Martin, but that was a 75 ton lift with longer reach, so it was only a rough guide and we had to re-adjust to suit this smaller lift's capabilities.

Vic

Old 16-03-2014, 05:42   #7

Boat: Slocum 43

Nice update! I guess some peoples nightmares are other peoples dreams, and visa versa.
Pirate999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 05:44   #8

Boat: Boatless
Gotta love the "Armstrong" power tools.
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 06:06   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Many folks in the USA don't realise how cheap yard time is in the USA, but get to Australia and you just can't afford to be on the hard for long.
3 days up is a hard and fast slog. In other parts of the world 10 days would be cheaper and one can do all the extra jobs too.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 06:46   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

nice one!
though i have found with the kids who will enjoy the boat tremendously,especially if mum and dad are paying for the jollies tend to, after the novelty has worn off,suddenly develop prior engagements when the word "work" is mentioned.

you might have to be more wily and stealthy in the future with your use of powertools!
don't even mention,sanding and varnishing untill anchored in a remote lagoon,where there is no escape!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing