Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2003, 06:18   #1

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Talking I will start it.

We moved aboard our 40" Mariner ketch over 11 years ago. It was a five year plan that has really stretched. We have lived aboard for a period of time in the Chesapeake. After deciding that winters there were no fun we relocated to the Florida keys. They became our base for further cruising. Due to family illness we find ourselves back in the chesapeake for this current season.The future plans are to head south in October and head for southern California via the Canal. We have just published a article in the current issue of Soundings about our cruise of the south coast of Cuba.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2003, 01:46   #2
Ex-captain

Boat: FP Belize 43 cat (2001)
Thumbs up Would love to hear more ...

Thank you for starting the first thread on the "Current liveaboards" forum Chuck Baier.

After 11 years onboard I guess you have a lot of great stories to tell us. I would love to hear more.

For those of us not reading Soundings, how was the south coast of Cuba?

"What's important in life is not how many breaths we get to take,
but those moments that take our breath away"

Jaques Cousteau
Gisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2003, 08:17   #3

pirate

Gisle, The South Coast was the highlight of our cruising to date. It is what the Caribbean was 25 years ago. The country is spectacular. The harbors are the most protected we have ever visited. The people are the warmest and friendliest we have ever met. And that is saying something. All contrary to what our government would have us believe. The fish and lobster are so plentiful we were actually tired of eating them. The water and reefs appear untouched where ever we went. It does indeed put the Bahamas to shame. And it is extremely inexpensive. We really envy cruisers from outside the US that can travel there at will and stay as long as they like. Hope this fills in some of the blanks.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 21-04-2003, 13:08   #4
Ex-captain

Boat: FP Belize 43 cat (2001)
I'll have to go there ...

Thanks a lot Chuck. So now I'll have to add Cuba to my circumnavigation

"What's important in life is not how many breaths we get to take,
but those moments that take our breath away"

Jaques Cousteau
Gisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2003, 00:50   #5

Hey Chuck..........., Are you saying that Cuba is a nice place to visit, and that if I were to sail my future home down there to the South Coast and anchor a while, that I would not be placed in pprison or killed by Cuban Soldiers, or looted or robbed by anti-American castro-ites?

Wait a minute, but my Government has been telling me for years that they are evil, dangerous and that we should stay away!

Hmm, I'm partly making fun, mostly because I usually never believe what Government says, but seriousily, how safe would it be for me to anchor off the Cuban South Coast, and how is it to go ashore and actually walk the streets?

I was raised part time in FLorida on Key Biscayne, when the cubans began arriving, taking over alot of businesses and areas, in the 60s etc, the area got brighter, friendlier, cleaner and lots more fun.

The cubans are great people, can it be possible to actually sail down to them and experience their heritage and country?

Thanks for your comment, opening up new possibilities every day!

Graham
Ct
graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2003, 09:14   #6

graham, Pick up a copy of this months "Soundings" magazine. There is a great article that will answer all your questions.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 30-05-2003, 02:10   #7

Cool I'll add my 2 bits to the forum

We have owned a Mariner 39 CC for the last two years. Sold our home in July and moved aboard in January. So we have been live-aboards 4 months, instead of 11 years. So far it has been absolutely great.

Sandy is retiring from her job on June 18th and I will quit Nov 30. We plan on heading out to spend the winter in the Keys and then head north, hopefully making it to New England for a visit and back to Florida before it gets too cold.

With only 6 months to go the To Do list seems to keep growing instead of getting shorter, but we have accomplished all the major refits and are working on those that will not delay our departure.

We are currently docked at Bahia Beach Marina in Ruskin, Fl which is in Tampa Bay. Its a great full service, do-it-yourself friendly marina with about 18 live-aboard boats at present.

Thats the short of it. Sorry no stories of Cuba or other exotic places, yet.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:21   #8

Tony, Say hello to Tom, Cindy and Dylan as well as Mitch and Michelle for us. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 06-06-2003, 04:43   #9

cost of living aboard

I have read many accounts of the cost of living aboard but really don't know what that encompasses.
Everyone says it can be done between 500-3,000. That is a very large range.
We are not extravagant people, but we are trying to make a buget to see how much to figure a month.
We are commited to this life style, we have sold our home and bought a boat this winter. My husband will retire this December and we plan on leaving in March or sooner.
He is an engineer, he likes things laid out for him, I'm a potter, so everyday is Christmas when I open the kiln.
We have been married 29 years so it is true opposite attracts.
We have one daughter in college and another soon to follow, we have planned for them.
We have boat insurance, medical insurance and a boat that is in good shape. It is old (1981) but not used hard.
My husband can fix anything, he used to race motorboats, cars, etc. We had a '56 VW that restored for years. You know he is commited, sold that last summer when we sold the house.
Ove to hear your ideas.
Jane
rakuqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 07:45   #10

Boat: Irwin citation 40 "Southern Toy"
This is a good forum. I am 65, and have sailed most off my life,and have seen a lot of changes ( remember the sextant) so learn from each other,buy what other cruisers have proven, and are happy with. but remember we all expect different lifestyles but do share info as it helps others. So the cost off cruising is related to life style so talk to us ,if you stay in marinas it runs up fast 40' boat in keys $ 1400/ month but it could be a bargaing depending on weather . patience pays , shortest route not always best and so on but we love it
olepedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 14:50   #11

Is it true "live-a-boards" are discouraged in Marinas?

I keep hearing the same question when I seek a slip in Marinas.
"Are you a live aboard?"

Then it is followed up with, "We don't allow it here." (live-a-boards)

What is that all about? Anyone know?
I have been saving to do just that for a long time, and i am about 4 months from moving on board right now.

Pogo
pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 15:13   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
It's the old scenario. The stupid few that have abused the privileges has spoiled it for the rest of us.
Old 11-01-2008, 15:23   #13

Wow, A lot of water has passed under the keel since I started this one

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 11-01-2008, 15:27   #14
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Pogo, Marinas are trying very hard not to become water borne trailer parks.

Chuck, you are a pioneer!! Probably one of the first to use this site. I have to ask, How was that trip to Cuba back in 2003?
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 15:46   #15

Absolutely one of the best cruises we have ever done. We did an extensive write up for Soundings Magazine. The Journalist license is what got us there legally. It is a shame about the current situation. We really want to go back. We did the entire south coast at that time and would now like to do the north coast. we are keeping our fingers crossed after the changes in the administration, ours not theirs. We are trying to figure out how to post the artricle on our web site. we only have copies that were scanned and in jpg form so not sure how well they will look. The originals were lost in a computer crash. Back em up guys.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek