Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-01-2014, 12:44   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: I Need manly and probably moral advice

It may not be the "manly" advise you're interested in, but if you're taking up the epilator to avoid the need to leave the shaving cream can in the sink; I can send you one of these pastel balls of nylon netting that are collecting in our bath house to toughen you up!

Old 02-01-2014, 12:46   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Try Veet hair removal cream. Go to this link and read the first "favourable" review. Read it in full, you will either cry or die laughing.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Veet for Men Hair Removal Gel Creme 200ml

Coops.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:58   #93

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Try Veet hair removal cream. Go to this link and read the first "favourable" review. Read it in full, you will either cry or die laughing.
101 uses for frozen sprouts. Very funny and almost fell off my chair laughing. Thank you Coops.

Mr Tacoma, I hope you are being humbled by these manly devices, creams and advices...
Old 02-01-2014, 13:06   #94

Location: Currently in South Pacific. Home Port: Vienna, Austria
Boat: Celestial, Stay'sl-Rigged Sloop, 48 ft

Quote:

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Veet for Men Hair Removal Gel Creme 200ml

Coops.
Was that found while doing more research for The Joke Thread ??
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 13:10   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Was that found while doing more research for The Joke Thread ??
I don't actually know when I found that to be honest. I know it was a while ago. Then this thread triggered a feint stirring in he back of me noggin and I went to find it again, and, Voila. I'm glad because it cracked me up again re-reading it.

Coops.
Old 02-01-2014, 13:17   #96

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Try Veet hair removal cream.
Coops.
Depilatory creams only remove hair at the surface. Waxing gives long lasting smoothness. So, why don't men wax instead of shaving? It can't possibly be fear of pain from the stronger sex. I doubt it is the expense, as razors and shaving creams are not inexpensive either.

I always thought shaving was a manly ritual men enjoyed, but I see from the above posts this is certainly not the case (in fact I have never in my entire life heard so much wingeing about a beauty routine).

So, men, why not wax?
Old 02-01-2014, 13:23   #97

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Just in case, you might want to keep a pair of bolt cutters in your car. Of course, that leaves the possibility of your wife escalating to a steel-mesh companionway and protected-hasp lock.
Old 02-01-2014, 13:29   #98

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Oh gosh, here we go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
......(in fact I have never in my entire life heard so much wingeing about a beauty routine).
This is definitely not a beauty routine, this is simply pruning - as to remove the superfluous or undesirable, in some cases due to matrimonial pressures as stated in the above posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
...So, men, why not wax?
Because the label says not to. Waxing our faces is not as easy as it sounds, you could actually rip some of the skin around the mouth, under the nose and the eyes. The other alternative would be to start taking some type of hormones but that is not manly either.

Old 02-01-2014, 13:37   #99
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
I doubt it is the expense, as razors and shaving creams are not inexpensive either.
Proper procedure, such as I previously outlined above, is very inexpensive. Razor blades last a long time (genuine Gillette...look sharp, feel sharp, be sharp... some of you young people may not recognize the jingle) and shaving soap goes a long way. It is when you try to hack the stuff off dry or wet without proper preparation that the cost of blades goes WAY up...or whet stones for the axe (sword, what have you) for some of you...
Old 02-01-2014, 13:43   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On here men do wax. Lyrically. About bigger anchors, bigger guns, bigger chest ornaments for women, bigger boats and bigger plans to save the world ( as long as it's what they want it to be when it's "saved").

You have to watch soccer to understand why men do not wax. They can roll over 27 times screaming in agony because one of their leg hairs got caught in their sock. Then beat the fist into the ground in torment until the team of paramedics arrive who tell them that "it's ok, your hair looks alright" and so jump up and get on with the game.

Coops.
Old 02-01-2014, 14:00   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Oh gosh, here we go...

This is definitely not a beauty routine, this is simply pruning - as to remove the superfluous or undesirable, in some cases due to matrimonial pressures as stated in the

Because the label says not to. Waxing our faces is not as easy as it sounds, you could actually rip some of the skin around the mouth, under the nose and the eyes. The other alternative would be to start taking some type of hormones but that is not manly either.

Label says not to?
Some women routinely wax skin around their mouth and under their nose and I am sure their skin is more delicate than a male's. Other regions we wax definitely have more delicate skin and we still don't make wimpy excuses.

I must admit 'under the eyes' was not a region I thought men shaved. CF continues to provide such enlightening information .
Old 02-01-2014, 14:12   #102

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 13.5 and Windrider 16
Send a message via MSN to birdsey

It seems to me that you are wasting water AND the energy to heat the water when you leave the tap running! (even at a slow rate).

I would suggest that you grow a pair, put your shaving can in the shower with you to warm it up, and quite whining like a privileged teenage girl!
Old 02-01-2014, 14:27   #103

Boat: Caliber 40

If only I had a life like a privileged teenage girl!

I would shave twice a day with cold water if I could live like some some of the kids I see on the really big boats here in San Diego.
Old 02-01-2014, 14:39   #104
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
If only I had a life like a privileged teenage girl!
According to my daughter at the time, such a life is filled with angst, woe and people who don't understand you.

I thought it was just a result of being a virgin, but it turned out I was wrong about that, too.
Old 02-01-2014, 15:39   #105

Boat: Hunter 25 Mk 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post

- the dripping water I allow to run into the sink uses less than two quarts of water

- shaving in the shower has been repeatedly proven to waste large quantities of water. In my case the shower head flows 2 gallons a minute so if I shave while showering I used at least four times as much water as allowing the sink to fill with water.

- putting the shaving creme can on the shower floor does not work - the shower room is not heated and by the time the shower water reaches the floor it is way to cool to heat the creme

- putting the shaving creme can on the shower floor is dangerous! I keep forgetting it is there and stubbing my toe on it or turning my ankle and bending over to pick up the can hurts my back.

- I have tried shaving in the shower, many many times in the last 40 years, and always have two problems - soap in the eyes and fog on the mirror.

- there is no light in the shower so I would have to shave by touch and I long ago lost my touch!

- this thread has given me a great idea - my 1993 SAAB auto is parked right outside the shower room. I'll start the car and put the shaving creme on the exhaust manifold. I'll go inside and shower. After wasting the shower water I'll run outside to the car and shave there with the exhaust heated creme and use the outside rear view mirror. Even better - I'll be able to use the hot water from the SAAB expansion tank to rinse with!
Thanks for your sportsmanlike attitude about this!

I'd say two quarts of HOT water is probably too much to waste, if we're all being truly eco-conscious.

If you take a shower like you do in the boat, on/off at appropriate times, it's less waste. If you're seeking the warm shower to warm up (as here in NJ), I'd say the longer soak is probably worth it. You didn't waste any energy keeping warm throughout a chilly night on the boat, so your 'carbon footprint' is probably positive.

I use a shower caddy hung on a hook for the shampoo and shaving-cream bottles. I know what you mean about stuff on the floor. Add the razor to that and it's far worse.

I find wiping a finger's worth of soap over the (plexiglass) mirror before using it keeps the mist off. I have also shaved in the dark often-- just trail a finger ahead of the blade to navigate it and it's tolerable.

I like your idea of running the car to heat the shaving cream. Definitely a first-world problem's solution we should all emulate (hah!).

All this said, truly I would probably shut off the running water too. I think most boaties would be drawn to do that, based on what they know. My preferred method of shaving on the boat is to heat up a little pot of water on the Forespar Mini-Galley, temporarily soak the shave-cream can in it, and stand in the forward hatch (no headroom in the head) and admire the morning whilst shaving. I shave in the shower mainly at my mother's (winters).

This is the kind of thread I think we all like to contribute to. Thanks for the opportunity for us all to sound off!

dianaofburlingt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: