Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-01-2014, 10:28   #46

Boat: Watkins 29'
Re: I Need manly and probably moral advice

Manly advise? What the hell is manly about heating shaving cream? Sure you are not shaving your legs?
You are definitely NOT justified and I would turn your water off in a heart beat..
Catch you a second time and you would be fishing your shaving cream out of the toilet.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:02   #47
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm told that shaving first became "popular" after the Persian warriors got in the habit of grabbing Greek soldiers by the beard and snapping their necks. Resulting in Greek then Roman soldiers being ordered to shave, so they couldn't be grabbed by the beard and killed quite so easily bare-handed.

Young rascals looking to impress young maidens then started shaving, so they could claim they were brave warriors.

IOW, shaving the face is an affectation and quite literally the habit of either a warrior or a bald-faced-liar. Warriors would just do it, which leaves warm shaving cream...somewhat out of the context of "manly".

But if I walked into a public lavatory and saw someone wasting water, wasting hot water, and leaving a sink in danger of overflowing and making a mess while no one was around? Sure, I'd shut the tap too. That's just plain wasteful and if it is public, that's MY hot water you're wasting. Buy a locker (stainless) mirror, take it and the razor into the shower.

Leaving the tap running unattended...there's no debate on that, that's just not called for. Not right.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:08   #48

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

So, which marinas offer the best heated towel bars and and best variety of different styles of massage services for manly cruisers (shiatsu, Swedish, hot stone, Thai, reflexology/foot, Thai, and of course sports massage customized for sailors)? Are there any that offer a really macho cucumber facial with aromatherapy and a soft background new age music track, perhaps adding foot massage coordinated with pedicure/manicure? And are there any that offer specialized hair care products to help maintain lush, vibrant chest hair with full body?
Old 01-01-2014, 11:33   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

This is what Wikipedia has to say about the history of shaving. Maybe TacomaSailor would like to try the two shell method. I mean women use a method not to far removed; waxing...
Quote:
Before the advent of razors, hair was sometimes removed using two shells to pull the hair out or using water and a sharp tool. Around 3000 BC when copper tools were developed, copper razors were invented. The idea of an aesthetic approach to personal hygiene may have begun at this time, though Egyptian priests may have practiced something similar to this earlier. Alexander the Great strongly promoted shaving during his reign in the 4th century BCE to avoid "dangerous beard-grabbing in combat", and because he believed it looked tidier.[4] In some Native American tribes, at the time of contact with British colonists, it was customary for men and women to remove all bodily hair using these methods.[5]
Old 01-01-2014, 11:53   #50

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Fix the drain plug and turn off the water, the unwatched running of water on a boat is never a good thing
Old 01-01-2014, 11:56   #51

Boat: Columbia 41

Real men sailors grow beards. Besides, think of all the money you will save on razor blades.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:01   #52

Boat: Caliber 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_W View Post
You have missed the mark then ... the original post does not read like tongue-in-cheek and I really doubt it was meant that way. I hesitated to reply at all as I assumed the OP is some idiot absent minded person or a troll trying to initiate emotional replies.

Sorry ... and Happy New Year, perfect time to make a new shaving resolution ...
I am the OP and I am pretty sure I was indulging in some ironic self deprecating humor. But - as my wife of 39 years keeps telling me - my sense of humor is often:
- warped
- inappropriate
- understood only by me
- not funny

It seems that trying to make fun of myself over such an obviously silly concern as "who turns off my spigot" on this forum is:
- inappropriate
- understood only by me (and a few others here)
- not funny

My apologies to the forum - I will be careful to take my poor choices in humor elsewhere
Old 01-01-2014, 12:09   #53

Boat: Sandpiper 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
It seems that trying to make fun of myself over such an obviously silly concern as "who turns off my spigot" on this forum is:
- inappropriate
- understood only by me (and a few others here)
- not funny
The Internet does not yet convey the twinkle in the eye, the quick wink, the wry tone that telegraphs subtle humour in face-to-face conversation.

Then again, real life doesn't have the wide range of responses that a misunderstood post will elicit.

Don't go changin'.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:12   #54
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
- this thread has given me a great idea - my 1993 SAAB auto is parked right outside the shower room. I'll start the car and put the shaving creme on the exhaust manifold. I'll go inside and shower. After wasting the shower water I'll run outside to the car and shave there with the exhaust heated creme and use the outside rear view mirror. Even better - I'll be able to use the hot water from the SAAB expansion tank to rinse with!
If you run outside naked and shave, people will leave you and your shaving cream alone.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:55   #55

Boat: Hudson Force 50

The outrage is unjustified. Get over it. Man up and save some water while you are at it.

The Witchdoctor.
Old 01-01-2014, 13:06   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Just my opinion. I did see a little humor in your original post but as I read through it I could see that you waste water and energy to heat it vigorously.

I had three paragraphs of rants going on until I decided it'd probably be waste and not be worth it.

Let's just suffice it to say that I would have turned off the water and the next time I'd have thrown your shaving creme in the trash.

Did you shave the same way at sea?
Old 01-01-2014, 13:09   #57

"Did you shave the same way at sea?"

I DO!

We have a Spectra watermaker and a very large solar array - Our problem while away from the dock is too much water and too much power!

We have to waste the water and power in order to be efficient.

We run the spectra several hours a day which produces over 30 gallons of water.

The solar panels have the batteries fully recharged by 2 PM every day.

When running the diesel it heats the water to 140 so I have plenty of hot water to make my luxurious hot shaving creme.

Different strokes...etc
Old 01-01-2014, 13:17   #58

I am really puzzled by the adamant negative comments about wasting water.

Do you all really see the use of two quarts of hot water every other day as a waste of water and energy worth getting upset about?

My goodness - that is 12 seconds of water usage from a low flow shower head (2.5 GPM - 10 quarts a minute) - do you all take 30 second showers?

I am in and out of the shower in less than two minutes so I suspect I use way less water than most. Yet, I feel no need to criticize those who take 4 minute showers and use 5 gallons (10 shaving trips for me) more water every day.

What in the world have things come to?

I bet none of you know that San Diego County Water Authority loses over 25% of the water (over a HUNDRED million gallons a day) that goes into the pipelines at the headworks BEFORE it gets delivered to the consumer.

The best large water delivery utility in the country loses over 7% of their water before it gets delivered.
Old 01-01-2014, 13:27   #59

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Tacoma Sailor,

I'd like to apologize for being rude! All excuses are ultimately inadequate, but I apologize to Tacoma Sailor for how I worded my thoughts. I was raised in the desert in the San Fernando Valley and spent most of my adult life before moving aboard in northern California, which sends much of its precious water to Southern Calif., where people I knew took two or three 20 minute showers per day. I always felt angry and frustrated that they wasted water, and I guess I have a string there that's just waiting to get pulled. So. Cal.'s careless attitude towards water conservation is a subject that really gets me going. Anyhow, I'm sorry I was rude to you, Tacoma Sailor.

You might consider the electric shaver option. Jim's is rechargeable, and the charger is powered through our inverter. Most of our electricity comes from solar and wind generators, some through running the boat's engine.

It was not obvious to me that the original post was in jest.

Something that might help: if you have a thermos style coffee pot, you could put the shaving cream in the pot, and top it off with boiling water, and take it with you to the showers. Then you could use the hot water afterwards to rinse the razor after each stroke. Then wash the pot before coffee use. Golly, yet another use for the coffee pot!
Old 01-01-2014, 13:27   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Hey, don't forget that many of these guys are the 3 sheet tp crowd so you shouldn't be surprised at the outrage over 12 secs. of water wastage.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: