Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 05:47   #31

Boat: Island Pilot DSe 12m 39'6"
Re: I Need manly and probably moral advice

As a Marine, I learned to shave with a helmet full of very cold water.

As a person who enjoys warm shaving cream, go to Amazon and buy a shaving cream heater - about thirty bucks or so. Plug in before you shower and, voila, hot lather when you're ready to shave.

I'm with the crowd who'd turn off the water. When I shave or even brush my teeth, I turn the water off except when rinsing. We are boaters after all who live with limited resources on board - actually relish getting along with less.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:53   #32
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

You leave the hot water running to heat your shaving cream?

And you wonder why theres Global Warming? Even somone who doesnt belive in Warming would see your actions as selfishly wasetful.

I really hope you change.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:55   #33

Boat: Heritage 35

It's not the water that's wasted. It's the energy to get it to you that is. The water just returns to the aquafier and is reused at a later time. Wasted water is that which is stored in plastic bottles for god knows how long. I partially fill the sink with the razor(Actra or sensor depending a price of blades)That's another subject)and brush and tube of shaving cream in it then lather up shave and then shower. But I'd turn a running tap off also after asking if anyone else was in the loo. My two cents oh wait nickle as pennies are now gone where I live.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:59   #34

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

If I'd walked in, I'd have turned off the water & muttered about people wasting water.

Since the OP is 67 years old & has likely shaved this way most of his life, he's (quite reasonably) not likely to change. The idea of bringing a small bowl to put hot water & his shaving cream in to warm up while he showers seem like a good solution.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:13   #35

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

I find it interesting that so many find leaving the hot water running irresponsible on environmental grounds. I endorse all their comments and add that using " old fashion aerosol shaving cream" also environmentally unsound. There is an environmental impact in the cans manufacture and disposal and the gas propellant.
Maybe it is time to try out some creams and soaps in alternate packages. I find ordinary soap works just fine for my occasional beard trim.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:18   #36

I can understand using hot water to rinse with, but heated shaving cream with running hot water isn't something that you'd do if YOU had to pay the bill, so why do it with someone else's resources?

I'm with the group who would do their part to save the environment and turn off the water.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:26   #37

You're breaking a few guy-codes by sucking up a sink while you're taking your shower. It's more convenient for you, but it's less convenient for anyone else who needs the sink.

I shave my head every couple of weeks and my face every couple of days. I've switched to electric to make it faster and easier.

I have no problem needing the real-estate in a marina bathroom that I need, but I'm definitely not a fan of the guys who lay claim to a bunch of **** at once.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:34   #38

Another option would be to turn off the tap and claim the shaving cream. Not that I would but somone else might.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:34   #39
CLOD

Boat: none

well if you going to live in a marina, and insist on having hot shaving cream, aren't there electrical plug in shaving cream heaters?
Old 01-01-2014, 06:35   #40

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka1 View Post
It's not the water that's wasted. It's the energy to get it to you that is. The water just returns to the aquafier and is reused at a later time. Wasted water is that which is stored in plastic bottles for god knows how long. I partially fill the sink with the razor(Actra or sensor depending a price of blades)That's another subject)and brush and tube of shaving cream in it then lather up shave and then shower. But I'd turn a running tap off also after asking if anyone else was in the loo. My two cents oh wait nickle as pennies are now gone where I live.
The water in Southern California doesn't come from any aquifer. It comes from mountains hundreds of miles away in a canal. I don't expect that there's anything similar in Canada. There are 2/3 as many people in Southern California as in all of Canada and it's a small area of desert near the ocean without a real river.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:23   #41

Boat: Hunter 25 Mk 1

I shave with a plastic mirror in the shower. Done deal.
dianaofburlingt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:30   #42

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethflkys View Post
Why don't you just bring the can in the shower with you? Put it on the floor where the water will hit it. Then it will be warm without you hogging a sink and using extra water.
Probably end up using less water that way then you would shaving in the shower.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:59   #43

Boat: Caliber 40

What I thought would be a humorous opportunity for we liveaboards to make some inappropriate jokes (thanks to those who took the time to participate in that manner) has surprisingly turned into a series of rants about water and energy conservation.

I have lived and participated in the world of public water service for over 35 years - some of it here in Southern California.

Here are a couple observations:

- All the water delivered by aqueduct to SoCal is gravity fed - the net energy to pump the water over the hills is generated by turbines further up stream

- the dripping water I allow to run into the sink uses less than two quarts of water

- shaving in the shower has been repeatedly proven to waste large quantities of water. In my case the shower head flows 2 gallons a minute so if I shave while showering I used at least four times as much water as allowing the sink to fill with water.

- heating the extra water that flows while I shave in the shower is much more wasteful than letting the sink fill and then turning off the water at the sink while I shave

Now back to the humour:

- the suggestion to use shampoo is thoughtful but of little use in my very bald case - I have not touched a bottle of shampoo for decades!

- "Grow a pair" ??? - won't happen - all that cold water just makes them shrivel up so every time I find a pair they are gone

- putting the shaving creme can on the shower floor does not work - the shower room is not heated and by the time the shower water reaches the floor it is way to cool to heat the creme

- putting the shaving creme can on the shower floor is dangerous! I keep forgetting it is there and stubbing my toe on it or turning my ankle and bending over to pick up the can hurts my back.

- I have tried shaving in the shower, many many times in the last 40 years, and always have two problems - soap in the eyes and fog on the mirror.

- there is no light in the shower so I would have to shave by touch and I long ago lost my touch!

- The water I save by never washing the boat decks far offsets the gallon or so of shaving water I use every week

- this thread has given me a great idea - my 1993 SAAB auto is parked right outside the shower room. I'll start the car and put the shaving creme on the exhaust manifold. I'll go inside and shower. After wasting the shower water I'll run outside to the car and shave there with the exhaust heated creme and use the outside rear view mirror. Even better - I'll be able to use the hot water from the SAAB expansion tank to rinse with!
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:08   #44
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

tacoma...can you use a bowl and bring it into the shower with you to protect it...
you are fortunate to still have your stuff, as many times items disappear from marina bathrooms.
yes i used to live in your neighborhood....having been a live aboard boat soul in sd from 1995 thru 2010 and to april 1011......while i lived there i worked in lost angeles....
i lived in each area of s d while i was there... made nice changes..last years there were coronado roadstead moorings..lol
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:18   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
What I thought would be a humorous opportunity for we liveaboards to make some inappropriate jokes (thanks to those who took the time to participate in that manner) has surprisingly turned into a series of rants about water and energy conservation. ...
You have missed the mark then ... the original post does not read like tongue-in-cheek and I really doubt it was meant that way. I hesitated to reply at all as I assumed the OP is some idiot absent minded person or a troll trying to initiate emotional replies.

Sorry ... and Happy New Year, perfect time to make a new shaving resolution ...
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote