Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2014, 13:23   #1

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
I Have Started the Virtual Garage Sale

I just spent a couple of hours posting everything bigger than a breadbox to Craigslist. Heck, a few things are even smaller than a breadbox. I sure will miss my Yonanas machine, but it doesn't seem like freezing old bananas is the best use of our limited freezer space.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 19:02   #2

Re: I have started the virtual garage sale

It turns out that the people in this area are quite rude about Craigslist. They set up an appointment, then don't show up!

Unfortunately, today's was for the washer and dryer. I really, really want someone else to come get those, rather than me having to figure out how to get them out of our second floor apartment.

All the same, hubby was a bit surprised to walk into the house after work, no kitchen table, no TV. It makes it real that we are doing this.

I find myself having odd moments of hesitation. After I sold the TV, hubby mentioned moving the computer aboard this weekend. I had a moment of shock EVEN THOUGH I HAD JUST SOLD THE TV THAT WE USED AS A MONITOR.
Old 07-08-2014, 19:14   #3

Remember - you don't own stuff; stuff owns you. So - great move to uncomplicate your lives.

Kijiji, Craigslist... they work, but don't get hung up or overwrought about the quality of responses. Out of any 10 responses, 7 will fade away, one will be a jerk, two will be serious, and of those, one will buy.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 19:36   #4

We just got rid of a 5 bedroom furnished rental last year. Never once did anyone make an appointment and not show up when we put that stuff on craigslist.
Old 08-08-2014, 00:39   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Greenhand,

Everybody loves a bargain. Of those, some are responsible, some are not so much so. It is very frustrating to be waiting all day for someone to show up, that kind of thing really aggravates me, too. But just think, if it were a real garage sale, it would be all day, two weekend days when you might be at your boat!

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 08-08-2014, 06:19   #6

Boat: Catalina 310
Re: I Have Started the Virtual Garage Sale

We spent almost 2 years getting rid of everything we owned that we didn't want on the boat. In the end, we pocketed about $18K from selling all of our stuff and sold our house for exactly what we owed (plus commission, taxes, fees, etc.). We figure that effort got us close to a year of cruising time. We did get burnt out by the end due to the rude people on Craig's List and eBay.

But I can tell you that once it's all gone, the house/apartment is empty and you turn the keys over to someone else, it will all be worth it.

One of the most liberating feelings in the world is being able to look at a small pile of stuff that will fit into your boat and knowing this all you have to worry about.

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse
Old 08-08-2014, 06:32   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Even though we are over 3 years out from retirement we are already starting the de-cluttering process. I would be content to sit in a nearly empty house for the majority of that time if it gets me closer to casting off.

I am starting to list things on eBay for now and planning a big garage sale. We have vowed that every garbage day something "extra" goes in the can and every recycling day we clean out a drawer, box or whatever and get rid of the paper.

Because we bought our house at the height of the market I suspect we'll be in the same "boat" as JKnSmitty and will be lucky to walk out even, but as long as we walk out I don't care.

So happy for you that you are at the point of letting it all go!! You'll have so much less to take care of. I think it will be very liberating. Enjoy cruising!!
Old 08-08-2014, 06:50   #8

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

For things that are really not worth much you can try Freecycle. I have given away some crap I thought for sure no one wanted but they picked it up.

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale