Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2011, 07:26   #121

Lightbulb Re: I Have Pulled the Trigger !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
I did it, sight unseen, I have offered to put down a deposit on S/V Kaleo! My terms are acceptable and they will be sending the contract tomorrow.

She is a beautiful Aloha 34:

Stuff the boat, how much for the girl in the hammock? (Or does she come free with the boat?)
TheManWhoSpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 04:17   #122

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Re: I Have Pulled the Trigger !

Quote:
Stuff the boat, how much for the girl in the hammock? (Or does she come free with the boat?)
Talk to Matt!
Old 29-12-2011, 12:36   #123

1st solo trip!
Left Salt Ponds today at 9:30AM. The weather man said 5-10 with 1' seas. They lied, no wind, I had to motor all the way to Portsmouth. I am now at Top Rack Marina, great place, cheap fuel, good birth, free overnight if you eat in the restaurant. A little open to the ICW traffic, but I ain't complaining.
Old 29-12-2011, 13:20   #124

Boat: Stevens 47

You're living the dream for a lot of us Don, keep it up! Enjoying your posts, and anxiously awaiting next season so that we can sail our boat home and begin our adventures.

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 13:27   #125
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

YeeHaa..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 17:40   #126

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
1st solo trip!
Left Salt Ponds today at 9:30AM. The weather man said 5-10 with 1' seas. They lied, no wind, I had to motor all the way to Portsmouth. I am now at Top Rack Marina, great place, cheap fuel, good birth, free overnight if you eat in the restaurant. A little open to the ICW traffic, but I ain't complaining.
Don, learn. the weathermen are the only people I know that get paid to lie. I learnt that about 60 years ago when I started sailing in Auckland and have taken it into account ever since.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 17:50   #127
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
Don, learn. the weathermen are the only people I know that get paid to lie. I learnt that about 60 years ago when I started sailing in Auckland and have taken it into account ever since.
They are the precedent to the sailor's antecedent. The weatherman tells of larger winds before they don't happen; the sailor tells of them after they didn't.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 07:09   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Weathermen get a bad rap unfairly sometimes. It is a good idea to make understanding and interpreting weather a personal learning. I would rather have the data and interpret it myself than to rely on a weatherman saying, "Its gonna rain and be windy" - and having been wrong more than a few times I appreciate how difficult it is to predict nature.

Personally I like aviation reports because I have been interpreting them for 30 years.

Of course aviation is different but one facility that was extremely useful was after downloading and interpreting weather one calls a briefer and speaks to a live person. A dialog can ensue about the weather report. It is useful to get inputs about what the data means.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 10:44   #129
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Weathermen get a bad rap unfairly sometimes. It is a good idea to make understanding and interpreting weather a personal learning. I would rather have the data and interpret it myself than to rely on a weatherman saying, "Its gonna rain and be windy" - and having been wrong more than a few times I appreciate how difficult it is to predict nature.

Personally I like aviation reports because I have been interpreting them for 30 years.

Of course aviation is different but one facility that was extremely useful was after downloading and interpreting weather one calls a briefer and speaks to a live person. A dialog can ensue about the weather report. It is useful to get inputs about what the data means.
that is right ..best real time weather brief i get is from FAA..dial 1800-weather and tell them you dont have an N # but would like a brief..works great...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 14:36   #130

Boat: Beneteau 393

Try WindAlert online- I find their predictions are usually accurate to 48 hours. I also like weather.gov.
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 15:33   #131

I am safe in Coinjock, NC. Thats two states down (MD & VA). This was easy to sail but tough, I had to work the helm most of the way Otto just wasn't up to it, too many turns and the channel was too narrow. You know Otto, Otto Pilot, from Providence R.I. (Home of Raymarine). Then with a channel the width of my boat, submerged pilings on one side, shoal on the other, the Coast Guard decides do a safety inspection, while underway. They came up in a RIB (rigid inflatable boat) and transfered two guys to do the inspection, I passed no problem. But it was hell trying to stay in the channel and tell these guys where everything was. But that's done, next time I just say "It was just done", they have the record on their computer.
But I made it to Coinjock, a standard stopping place, going north or south, it's the halfway point from New York. I just ate dinner (catfish, pretty good), but was almost too tired to eat. Free wifi means a movie tonight. I'll probably fall asleep after 10 minutes.

Don't get me wrong about the weather man, They do the best they can. It's just that they are so cock sure about the next 100 years, but can't get tomorrow right.

Motored the complete course from Salt Ponds to Coinjock, 66 miles, 5.2 gal, 13.6 hrs. Avg .367 GPH or 12 mpg, not bad.
Old 30-12-2011, 15:36   #132
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500
I am safe in Coinjock, NC. Thats two states down (MD & VA). This was easy to sail but tough, I had to work the helm most of the way Otto just wasn't up to it, too many turns and the channel was too narrow. You know Otto, Otto Pilot, from Providence R.I. (Home of Raymarine). Then with a channel the width of my boat, submerged pilings on one side, shoal on the other, the Coast Guard decides do a safety inspection, while underway. They came up in a RIB (rigid inflatable boat) and transfered two guys to do the inspection, I passed no problem. But it was hell trying to stay in the channel and tell these guys where everything was. But that's done, next time I just say "It was just done", they have the record on their computer.
But I made it to Coinjock, a standard stopping place, going north or south, it's the halfway point from New York. I just ate dinner (catfish, pretty good), but was almost too tired to eat. Free wifi means a movie tonight. I'll probably fall asleep after 10 minutes.

Don't get me wrong about the weather man, They do the best they can. It's just that they are so cock sure about the next 100 years, but can't get tomorrow right.
Sounds like a great trip. Even safety inspections are interesting diversions.

Falling asleep 10 minutes into the movie is a sign of a good day!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 16:16   #133

Boat: Beneteau 393

Woo hoo! You are in my old stomping grounds. I grew up about 15 minutes from Coinjock by car, near Shiloh on the Pasquotank River.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 19:26   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500

Motored the complete course from Salt Ponds to Coinjock, 66 miles, 5.2 gal, 13.6 hrs. Avg .367 GPH or 12 mpg, not bad.

Sounds like a test from the sailing  gremlins. Submerged pilings, Otto trouble(he never wants to work when he ahould), shoals, Coast Guard - But you passed! You are getting to know the boat real well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers
Try WindAlert online- I find their predictions are usually accurate to 48 hours. I also like weather.gov.
I just downloaded the App for Wind Alert. Looks like a great resource. Can't wait to test it out.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 03:06   #135

Boat: Grand banks 32' Classic
Don, when do you think you'll be in Georgia? We're getting back on our boat at Isle of Hope the 3rd and heading into Florida, likely spend a couple of days at Cumberland I if the weather permits. Would be fun to meet you!
rolandcavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle