Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 11:35   #376
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: I Have Pulled the Trigger !

Don, Does this mean you are still in Beaufort, SC? We passed by Port Royal Landing yesterday and we're at the Downtown Marina until Friday morning. It's always a risk that something mechanical can slow you way down. You might recall that we spent a month last year at Doc Holiday's in Myrtle Beach while you came and left. We were waiting for a shipping of a warranty replacement of our refrig/freezer unit. Good luck,- or for the rest of it anyway,- with that transmission. 'see you on the water!
Old 10-05-2013, 06:01   #377

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Everything is back up and running. If you need heavy work done in this area go to Marine Tech (Hilton Head). Not the cheapest, but they get the job done and know what they are doing. And that is the cheapest in the long run.

Yesterday I went outside from Port Royal to Charleston. Low winds all the way....until I tried to anchor in the commercial anchorage near the entrance. Then it started blowing.....until I set my anchor at the public anchorage near City Marina, then it died again. Someone was telling me where to anchor.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:35   #378

Boat: IP 40

Don, I've enjoyed following your progress and as many others have said am definitely jealous. Hoping we'll follow in you're wake in the next few years, saving and learning to sail at the moment.

I'm curious knowing what you know now, is there anything you would have done differently? Any recommendations for those of use still in the planning/funding stages?

Fair winds and following seas!
ErBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:54   #379

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
Everything is back up and running. If you need heavy work done in this area go to Marine Tech (Hilton Head). Not the cheapest, but they get the job done and know what they are doing. And that is the cheapest in the long run.

Yesterday I went outside from Port Royal to Charleston. Low winds all the way....until I tried to anchor in the commercial anchorage near the entrance. Then it started blowing.....until I set my anchor at the public anchorage near City Marina, then it died again. Someone was telling me where to anchor.
Well you're a braver man than I, heading out port Royal on a windless day following major mechanical work! Sounds like Marine Tech does professional work, and one does hope they get what they pay for with experienced professionals.

Where did you anchor? Near Shutes folly, or South Channel RAnge?

Have fun-
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 17:37   #380

Glad to hear you're back on the water! Is there a plan for where you're headed now, or just following the wind?
Ldylightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:36   #381

I wanted to anchor in the South Channel Range, but I couldn't fight the winds and current (15-20 knts at the time). I anchored on the Ashley River, just past Wappoo Creek, BEFORE the bridge! (35'). Then the wind died. Got a good hook the first time in mud and sand.

I'm heading for Myrtle Beach for about 2-3 months, unless I want to go to The Chesapeake.

Done differently? Won the lotto and paid someone else to run the boat while I just lived on it. Like those guys on the Mega Dock. Seriously...Mo' Money, Mo' Money, Mo' Money. (and maybe a river barge instead of sail.)
Old 11-05-2013, 06:23   #382

Wappoo creek can be hair raising. Lots of current, sort of narrow, and god forbid you encounter a barge coming at you if you are going down current at 4 knots. Good place to do an outside hop!
Old 11-05-2013, 09:34   #383
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Don, I just anchored in the Stono River. 'heard a call to Isle of Palms Marina about an hour ago from "Nomad". I figured this was you. We'll be staying at the Maritime Center on the Cooper River in Charleston for about a week, then some time in Georgetown. Maybe we'll see you at Osprey! 'glad to see you are underway and finished with the repair headaches for a while,-- we only get "a while"!
Old 12-05-2013, 04:22   #384

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Don, I just anchored in the Stono River. 'heard a call to Isle of Palms Marina about an hour ago from "Nomad". I figured this was you. We'll be staying at the Maritime Center on the Cooper River in Charleston for about a week, then some time in Georgetown. Maybe we'll see you at Osprey! 'glad to see you are underway and finished with the repair headaches for a while,-- we only get "a while"!
Yes, that was me going into IOP for the night. Girl friend has a friend that wants to buy here so she wanted to look around. I'll be in Georgetown tonight (anchored in the harbor) then Osprey on Monday and a long rest. Are you going on to Doc Holiday's?
Old 12-05-2013, 14:46   #385
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Don, We'll duck into Osprey for the good fuel price and then likely to Doc Holiday's just for one night and on to the Chesapeake. ....or with the time of day, maybe a stop at Osprey if Nancie doesn't want a grocery stop in North Myrtle Beach.
Old 12-05-2013, 18:33   #386

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Don, We'll duck into Osprey for the good fuel price and then likely to Doc Holiday's just for one night and on to the Chesapeake. ....or with the time of day, maybe a stop at Osprey if Nancie doesn't want a grocery stop in North Myrtle Beach.
I'll have a car if you want to go shopping. I'll message you my phone #
Old 16-05-2013, 09:24   #387

Finally back in Osprey. I will stay for at least two months. The trip from Charleston was not without excitement. Just past the Ben Sawyer Bridge the alternator blew a fuse. I pulled into IOP and fixed that.

We stayed for the night just to watch the mayhem in the marina. Boats, people, standing surfers, everything going on at once. Saw three people get in a canoe, get half way across the harbor and decide to each turn around and go the other way. Each one turned in their seat, as they started I said "Oh boy! they're gonna flip" and they did. (Everyone safe).

Next day we started out again only to blow another fuse. I anchored for a bit, tried another fuse with the same result. The battery was pretty well charged so we went on to Georgetown. Charged the battery again over night and made it to Osprey.

Yesterday I ripped the alternator apart and found a busted brush holder. I had an old alternator on the boat so I took the brush holder from that and put it in the known good alternator. The fuse doesn't blow anymore, the voltage reads 12.5+VDC. I changed the oil and the transmission fluid, engine sounds real good.

All in all on this trip I installed a new battery, rebuilt the injectors, new transmission, rebuilt alternator, starter removed and tested, new larger hot wire to the starter, adjusted the valves.

This trip everything went bad, but now all that is in good condition now and I can concentrate on the rest of the boat.
Old 16-05-2013, 14:08   #388

well done with the alternator repair.
Old 16-05-2013, 17:08   #389

I agree, nice save on the alternator. Hopefully that will take care of the mechanical issues for awhile.
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 22:07   #390

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
Done differently? .Mo' Money, Mo' Money, Mo' Money. (and maybe a river barge instead of sail.)
Don, some of us hang on your every word... don't mess around. Were you serious about the "River Barge"?
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle