Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 18:12   #271
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: I Have Pulled the Trigger !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
I'm at Seafarers Marina, don't ask me where that is in JAX, I just found it on Active captain. I probably won't be here long (It sux).
Hey Don ,Having lived and worked in Nassua county for 3 yrs. I can say without reservation that most of the Jax area leaves a lot to be desired for sailors(my opinion)...Fernandina area is a lot nicer and they have a nice historic down town with lots of local history(US shrimp industry started in Fernandina) ...Lots of sailboats and like minded people and when you are tired of the boat and want a nice room you can go to the Ritz Carlton and play a few rounds of golf or go to the airport and hitch a ride on a weightshift trike or go out and spot sea turtles in a (Oscar Deuce) Cessna 337(true warbird) with Col.Bob...Good luck ...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:49   #272
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Don, The managers at Seafarer's are wonderful, but the whole Trout River area is economically depressed and not the best place to be. Come through town to where the river opens up to wide opprtunity for sailing and where most of the recreational boats in Jacksonville enjoy the river without the big currents. The rates are good here at Fleming Island Marina, though higher than Trout River. There are also some opportunities up the Ortega River. Both of these places have access to shore needs by bicycle. Send me a PM with a cell number and I can give you more specifics so you can take best of what this area offers.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:01   #273

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Don, The managers at Seafarer's are wonderful, but the whole Trout River area is economically depressed and not the best place to be. Come through town to where the river opens up to wide opprtunity for sailing and where most of the recreational boats in Jacksonville enjoy the river without the big currents. The rates are good here at Fleming Island Marina, though higher than Trout River. There are also some opportunities up the Ortega River. Both of these places have access to shore needs by bicycle. Send me a PM with a cell number and I can give you more specifics so you can take best of what this area offers.
I can say nothing bad about the management or people here at Seafarers, nice people. It's the area I have a problem with. Nothing close by and as you said, a depressed and depressing area. I will be moving to Ortega as soon as I can, probably tomorrow. It will obviously cost more, but I think it will be worth it since I plan to stay to the end of the month.
Old 03-11-2012, 14:45   #274
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
...................... I will be moving to Ortega as soon as I can, probably tomorrow...................
Ortega is nice, but consider Fleming Island Marina. All amenities within easy bicycle range and rates and space a little better than Ortega River. Of course it's about eight miles further up the river.
Old 03-11-2012, 19:00   #275
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
(A wise man knows when to quit).
Glad to hear Sandy didn't get you and glad to hear your progress. Cruising you have to take the good and the bad, not all of your landfalls will be sweet, but on the whole page MOST WILL. Beare this in mind, and of course you will allways remember the good landfalls and your mind will allow you to forget the bad landfalls (except for the terrible landfalls that you will never forget in 100 years [Hopefully you won't have too many of these])
Fair winds and especially fair tides.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:14   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Ortega is nice, but consider Fleming Island Marina. All amenities within easy bicycle range and rates and space a little better than Ortega River. Of course it's about eight miles further up the river.
I have friends near Ortega and I think this would be a better choice at this time.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:46   #277

Wanderlust struck again! I am in St. Augustine. Still going to Daytona Beach but not staying in Jacksonville for the month of November as planned. Easy sail down here for 1st timers the ICW is nice and deep most of the way, saw very little shoaling. Now I am tied up to the marina, just had breakfast and a friend is picking me up to do the tourist thing.
Old 11-11-2012, 17:52   #278

That's the life!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 15:59   #279
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
That's the life!
Sound better than this horrible UK weather.
Old 12-11-2012, 22:17   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
Sound better than this horrible UK weather.
But the good food and warm beer make up for the bad weather.
Old 13-11-2012, 05:29   #281

Don -

I'm a long way off from retirement myself, but your adventure gives me inspiration and something to look forward to. Thanks for sharing with all of us, and safe travels!
Resolute_ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 11:11   #282
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
But the good food and warm beer make up for the bad weather.
I'd swap places with you if I could.
We wish you the best of luck with fair winds.
Old 17-11-2012, 10:14   #283

For the past 4 days I have been hiding on my boat. The weather has been terrible, rain, wind, cold. The first 2-3 days here were beautiful and I biked all over the place. If this wind would stop (15-30 mph) I would be out on my bike all day. I have plans to go to Daytona for the winter but I am hearing that I should go further south, maybe Vero or Ft. Pierce. If this is the winter weather in North East Florida I just may do that.

The dock I am at is open to the North and the waves in here are rocking me all over. I enjoy the rocking except that it tells me how bad it is outside.
Old 20-11-2012, 10:02   #284

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Don, a little further south if your are anchoring out is Cocoa, Fl on the ICW. There is a mooring field south of the 520 bridge on the west side. It is an easy dinghy row to the public park and from there it is only 2 blocks to the nicest area around. Cafes, bars, touristy area. If you need a ride around town I live on my boat about 5 miles away and would be able to run you around for shopping and possibly buy you a drink or two. PM me for phone number. Yesterday was the worst weather I have seen in a while. Today the sun is out and a great wind from the north makes travel down the ICW a down wind sail for sure. It is 60 road miles from Daytona to Cocoa, a little further by ICW.
Bill
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 15:50   #285

Thanks, Don't know when but I will be getting down to Cocoa sometime this winter. I'll be sure to get in touch before I head down there.

Tags
paracelle