Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 17:09   #226

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Re: I Have Pulled the Trigger !

This is a good night. I’m listening to great blues, watching a beautiful sunset, observing the social dance of the docks and everything is perfect. Then I was just thinking , “Hay, I’ve been here before”. Then it hit me; I was about to say “It doesn’t get any better than this” when I realized that I have said this exact thing maybe 100 times in the last year.
Old 04-09-2012, 18:15   #227

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500
This is a good night. I’m listening to great blues, watching a beautiful sunset, observing the social dance of the docks and everything is perfect. Then I was just thinking , “Hay, I’ve been here before”. Then it hit me; I was about to say “It doesn’t get any better than this” when I realized that I have said this exact thing maybe 100 times in the last year.
I know the feeling.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 17:05   #228

OK, I'm at Ross Marine, Johns Island, SC, having the boat painted. 28 years of dirt, grime, scratches, dents, pinholes and general wear and tear have mad it inevitable. It has almost sucked my maintenance budget dry (NOT the emergency fund), but it was necessary. A friend has lent me her house on Seabrook Island while she is away to get this done. But after 4 days....

On my boat again,
I can't wait to be on my boat again.
Living life the way I like,
Getting groceries on my bike,
I can't wait to be on my boat again.
(With apologes to Willie)
Old 05-10-2012, 07:23   #229

Great to see an update. I followed your journey from start to finish a month ago and wondered how you were doing. Thanks for the update! Keep living the dream.
xdeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:43   #230

You can see pictures of the boat during the repaint at this link:
New Paint Job | The NOMAD
Old 05-10-2012, 12:30   #231

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

She's lovely, Don! I'm glad you updated. I was thinking about you and wondering how you are doing, just a couple of days ago.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:42   #232

Boat: Tartan 40
Cant wait to see how she looks. What kind of paint are you using? Spray or roll and tip?
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 13:08   #233

She's being sprayed with four coats of primer and three coats of awlgrip. when she's done I'll have a 30 year paint job.
Old 08-10-2012, 15:09   #234

The paint job is done, everything is ready to go.........EXCEPT! The travel lift is busted and the parts are hard to get. I may not get out of here until Friday!
Old 08-10-2012, 15:43   #235
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Hey Don, 'saw you while we were northbound at Doc Holiday's back in June. We'll be passing by on the Stono River wednesday heading back to Florida. We'll wave and wear sunglasses to manage the bright glare from your new finish! Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 08-10-2012, 16:29   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
The paint job is done, everything is ready to go.........EXCEPT! The travel lift is busted and the parts are hard to get. I may not get out of here until Friday!
That is "SWEET!" I like the name too.
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 14:08   #237
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
She's being sprayed with four coats of primer and three coats of awlgrip. when she's done I'll have a 30 year paint job.
She looks really great Don, as for thirty years? I repainted Cacique 7 years ago with 4 coats epoxy under coat and 3 coats two pack and she is looking a little tired now , I must admit I haven't put much maintenence into the finish (ie polish etc) and she has had quite a few scrapes. But I know Awlgrip is pretty good.
Have loved this thread, please keep up with the posting and let us know where and what you are about.
Best of luck with the crane parts and relaunch on Friday.
Fair winds for when you get back to the ocean.
Old 10-10-2012, 14:40   #238

Capt Force. Sorry I missed you today, but we might hook up in Savannah.

The travel lift is finally fixed and I will splash tomorrow at 11AM. I am hoping to make it to Port Royal by Friday. Then outside to Savannah on Saturday.

I want to give a really big "Thank You" to my friend Marsha for letting me use her beautiful house on Seabrook Island while my boat was being painted.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:35   #239
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Don, I'll keep a lock-out for Nomad. We'll remain here in Beaufort, SC until monday
Old 12-10-2012, 13:54   #240

OK, I got up at 5:30, had breakfast, cleaned up a bit to get ready top sail. I got underway at 7:15 trying to get to Beaufort, South Carolina. A distance of about 60 miles. A normal day for me is about 30-35 miles so I had to leave early. The current was against me but it was a sunny day and there was not enough wind to blow out a candle, soit was a pleasant day. At times the current was with me and I was able to move at 7knts over the ground, other times it was against me and I was lucky to make 3.5knts. As I was sailing I had my cruisers guide out and read a note: "Lots of shoals between McClullenville and Beaufort, boy were they right! At one point I had less than 1' of water under my keel. But I made it through and all I had left to do was get through the Lady Island Swing Bridge. I called ahead and found that I had 8 minutes to get there or I would have to wait for the next opening, 30 minutes later. The bridge operator saw me coming and called on the radio to say he would hold the bridge. 100' before I entered the bridge a 50' cruiser decides he can't wait for me and guns it past me almost swamping me into the bridge. WATCH OUT FOR "The Captian's Lady" The operator is an idiot! Anyway, I made it to the Beaufort marina and got gas, then settled ion for the night. Tomorrow I get to Savannah, only 47 miles. I was going to go outside but they are calling small craft warnings, 12' seas and 30-40 mph winds. With someone, maybe, alone, nope.

Tags
paracelle