Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 13:23   #31
cruiser

I never considered NC, as i look for warm, but that doesnt mean i should exclude it, as i dont know one place from another...

Andyes, i dont have access to the resources and expertise you do.. but that would be true from all locales...

the thing that got me interested in teh CAL was that it did have a report and all the things that i would expect to be 'nit picked' or calle dout on the report was ADDRESSED or so it was claimed..

that made me feel like the sweat factor would be less, except for the normal unknown or missed items...

boatman, are you in NC? and near that boat? would you be up to look at her for me?

the thing i noticed was that the boat was donated to some non profit company/charity, which makes me leary as the seller couldnt sell it??? he had to give it away???

Also, if i recall it is gas motor... i have tried to avoid searching looking or getting interested in fas motors.. everyone has told me diesal is way better and lasts forever, so a younger diesel will last me forever????

today isnt a good day.. as i had mentally planned on a move to florida.. and kinda had my hopes up that i wouldnt have to re plan.... but that doesnt mean much as i only have me and my blazer and a cat to move...but, mentally it kinda feels like i am starting over on this 'planning thing'... which i thought was done...

oh well.. feels like i am on a sailboat now and trying to plan a departure and getting hit by weather...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 13:48   #32

Boat: Landfall 39 built 1982
Hey Berg

It can be a frustrating but generally an exciting road. It is a world market now and the boat could be anywhere. I think part of the adventure is in finding the right boat. I looked for nearly 2 yrs and ended up finding my boat in Thailand if the location is other than where you live treat it as a holiday starting your new life!

Have to agree that a survey will pick up somethings and not other each surveyor has personal bug bears or priorities and I believe they show up in how they conduct there survey.

But I think most would agree that starting with the best boat you can afford is the simplest way to go. You will always have to spend more. I am stoked with my boat got it for a great price but it still needs to have time and money put into it.

Have a look around when you go down to see Zees boat hauled out enjoy trolling around boat look at ones a bit above your price range as everything is negotiable in this current climate.

Cheers Alex
felixqld66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 13:53   #33
cruiser

if i was ten years younger or felt ten years younger I would agree... and if i didnt need to drag around a stupid cat, I would agree... if i had a place to live, I would agree... but with all those things considered, plus some others i havent mentioned, I really need/want to find a boat first so i can MOVE there first...

andyes, i really want it my way... hehehehe

I am trying to be flexible, or as flexible as possible... but, between the physical and REAL stuff, I alsohave to deal with my mental 'stuff' as well...

I am guessing that it will still come down to the one main thing.. that is making the best choice with what limited resources i have with the knowledge that no matter what, I wont be worst off then i currently am...
Old 11-01-2011, 18:07   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Berg..... Columbia 36, $9500.... I'll PM info...
here is another columbia for the same price

1969 Columbia Sailcrafter For Sale In Oriental, North Carolina - BoatTrader.com

although yours has a nicer interioor
Old 11-01-2011, 18:17   #35
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
I was thinking about flying out to florida but am having some issues with my drivers license... not sure if you all read or heard about how California cant figure out how to 're-issue' drivers licenses.... they are two months behind... my license is currently expired, and although I read that airlines will let me fly, I am sure a rental company will not rent me a car until i have a current license.
Two months?? My CA license expired in June, and I still haven't received the replacement.

I carry my passport on all flights these days, even domestic.
Old 11-01-2011, 18:26   #36

Hey Berg if you can go to that kind of money the Columbia looks tidy easy to move onto

Cheers Alex
Old 11-01-2011, 18:47   #37
cruiser

Boats For Sale Near Monrovia, California
Old 11-01-2011, 18:48   #38
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Two months?? My CA license expired in June, and I still haven't received the replacement.

I carry my passport on all flights these days, even domestic.
what about car rental?
Old 11-01-2011, 18:51   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixqld66 View Post
Hey Berg if you can go to that kind of money the Columbia looks tidy easy to move onto

Cheers Alex
i got the money, but it makes it tighter and less easy to do stuff as quick as maybe needed/wanted.

I still have to come up with money to learn with... i doubt I will get free lessons...

the CAL2-29 owner is starting to negotiate for me though..

she has now included the dingy and motor, adn there will be some wiggle room on the price i guess...

but the colombia looks nice and big... but she will probably take more money to fix when things break.

what about 'ease of operation'? can the columbia be sailed by myself as easily as the cal2-29
Old 11-01-2011, 18:57   #40

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
A survey may seem like a costly expense, but I've yet to see a survey that didn't pay for itself.
I guess you forgot about mine, LOL.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 19:21   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
here is another columbia for the same price

1969 Columbia Sailcrafter For Sale In Oriental, North Carolina - BoatTrader.com

although yours has a nicer interioor
Berg... its the same boat mate... think they may have splashed a bit of wax around for those shots

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 19:27   #42
cruiser

i looked and looked and really looked and compared teh first pic and could swear the bow line was at a different angle...
Old 11-01-2011, 22:35   #43

Hey Berg

There will always be stuff to prioritise on boats I guess the questions is do you pay up front for something better and have less to do or do you pay less and have more to fork out for. I'd get someone from the forum to look at that Columbia.

Set up correctly you could handle it on your own. And for the time being if you had it moored up you could get lots of experience for free by crewing on other peoples boats and save a bunch of cash for expensive lessons of course navagation course is money well spent tho.

Cheers Alex
Old 11-01-2011, 23:53   #44
cruiser

i am open to anything... and any help...

thanks

btw: found another one..

36'MORGAN OUTISLAND
Old 12-01-2011, 12:15   #45

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424
Some thoughts

Hey Berg,

First, I have been on a Cal 29, and they are roomy for their age and length. That said, there are tons of small sailboats around dirt-cheap if you look patiently.

Second, even before paying for a survey, it's good to be able to inspect a boat yourself to save the survey cost if you find something serious. Around the Chesapeake, surveys cost about $20/foot (plus a haulout), so you want to be pretty sure that you want a particular boat before you invest in a survey. I suggest you get Don Casey's nice little book "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat." It takes you step-by-step through what to look for and why. Could save you time and money in the end.

Third, if you are going to buy a boat, it isn't too early to get a few books on boat maintenance and repair; it will help you understand what you can and maybe can't DIY fix on a boat that you do have surveyed. Nigel Calder's Cruising Handbook and Diesel repair and maintenance are 2 well-respected references. Also, Don Casey's "This Old Boat."

Fourth, that Columbia is probably a better looking and sailing boat than the Morgan OI, as the Out Island series is not considered to have good sailing characteristics.

Fifth, if I may, much clinical depression can be improved with prescription drugs; might want to ask your doctor.

Hope this helps.
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote