Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-01-2011, 11:24   #61
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
thing is, boat virgins have trouble actually getting the interior done-- had that with my first boat-- was a gutted olympian-- sweeet lines, no guts.
there are so many boats out there with interiors and only funky on outside-- that is what berg "should" have i htink, as a noob-- has good heart and soul and needs boat to match.... they are still found at reallly good prices, butye have to be on the water to find them.is a catch 22 thing....stay away from brokerages--they want their cut-- 10 percent or 3000 dollars, whichever is higher--and the seller takes it out on the buyer.

zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 11:42   #62
cruiser

i would rather have the hull and exterior done up nice and worry about the interior later... although depending on how bad teh interior is, will make me want to re do it quicker...

my issue is for things i dont know... and since i am a newb, i have no foundation to question why there is a need for two / double hose clamps... i would agree that it seems kinda silly, but again, i have no basis to question it on the water...

Old 13-01-2011, 11:48   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
i would rather have the hull and exterior done up nice and worry about the interior later... although depending on how bad teh interior is, will make me want to re do it quicker...

my issue is for things i dont know... and since i am a newb, i have no foundation to question why there is a need for two / double hose clamps... i would agree that it seems kinda silly, but again, i have no basis to question it on the water...
interior is more difficult to make lookin ggood than exterior-- exterior is easy-- buffnscrub. interior is r3eplacement and search for leaky topsides which i know can be pricy.
double hose clamps on certain specific hoses is a safety measure-- hose clamps deteriorate fast and when some do, boat doesnt float so well.
come sailing to fla and i will teach you the needed things that trap noobs into bad deals. i will teach ye how to avoid that trap. is all good--- best to have a guide thru the jungle.
Old 13-01-2011, 12:35   #64

Boat: looking
Sounds to me that you have the right approach, Bergovoy, as frustrating as it may seem to you. You are asking questions & questioning answers and, though this process may delay your purchase, it will pay-off, in the end. You're right about a larger boat costing more to maintain, of course, but if that Columbia "checked-out" I'd put it well above the others mentioned, gas engine or not. At the price and size you seem to be looking you will have to compromise in some considerations. As you want a sailboat, you don't want to compromise on sails & rig - any more than necessary - and on any boat the hull & deck must, obviously, have integrity & no issues. So, if the engine runs and will get you in and out of moorage/trouble how much more can you ask, unless doubling your expenditure?

As for sellers being 100% open, honest and knowledgeable about their boat, that is a rare thing. Another approach may be to contact the surveyors in the area you wish to buy a boat and ask them if they've surveyed any boats recently that are in your price range & well worth the price.

In searching for my next boat, it will be my 5th sailboat, I have considered over 100, viewed more than 20 so far, and had three surveys performed. Of the surveyed boats, one will suit my needs, yet, I still have a list of a dozen other preferred choices & a further 30, or so, that are worthy of consideration. The present market is such that one can get much more for their hard-earned dollar than ever before(comparatively).

Asking members of these forums who live in the area you are wishing to buy for assistance - as you have - is a very wise move. Choosing to enjoy the search, rather than fretting over the less-positive issues of the search is, however, entirely in your own hands. I'm guessing that this purchase is the start of a new way of life for you, so start this new, blank page by enjoying every minute of it, as it paves the way for how happy you'll be with your purchase. Still, when you find the one that serves your purposes - I should follow my own advice, here - buy it & never look back. There is no perfect boat, there will be issues to spend money and elbow-grease on, and 2-foot-itis will set in, that I can promise you. If those are the only headaches you face, you are laughing.
Best of luck in your search!
Mike
Old 13-01-2011, 12:40   #65
cruiser

thank yo mike, and yes, sorry if i sound like i am fretting over the process.. it is frustrating and all that, but i actually enjoy it as it is the only thing i do right now... which in itself is a problem/ or evidence of my disfunction..

but, i like learning new stuff and feel like i have learened more then i could have by participating with you all...vs just reading....
Old 13-01-2011, 12:44   #66

Boat: looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
thank yo mike, and yes, sorry if i sound like i am fretting over the process.. it is frustrating and all that, but i actually enjoy it as it is the only thing i do right now... which in itself is a problem/ or evidence of my disfunction..

but, i like learning new stuff and feel like i have learened more then i could have by participating with you all...vs just reading....
LOL, don't apologize for fretting buddy, we all do, and it's no skin off of anyone else's nose, right?
Old 13-01-2011, 13:04   #67

quit looking for a while. I got frustrated to .So much so I quit the endless internet hours every night chilled for a few days and then found her . Impatience can cost a lot in the long run
Old 13-01-2011, 13:04   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

fretting and stress are just another part of owning boat(s).....sometimes helps ye lose weight , sometimes puts it back on!!
Old 13-01-2011, 13:28   #69

Boat: Catalina 28
I have bought a boat before out of state and it worked out fine. But I had a good broker and surveyor involved and most important it was a small market. I had owned 4 boats before. But in a large market like Florida or So Cal I would find a broker I liked and look at the boats personally. I had a 1969 Cal230 and loved it. I would go for a diesel unless everything else is outstanding. (Mine was an Atomic 4 which never let me down).
Old 13-01-2011, 14:29   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I remember a friend living on his boat and redoing the interior. Every time he needed something he had to move a ton of things, then put them back, then move them again to get at something else. It was so frustrating that he finally sold it, then did the same thing on another boat. He had a tiny little living space and stuff jammed in wherever he could get it jammed. Not much progress was made before he moved up the coast and I lost track of him. I guess if you like that kind of thing...
Old 13-01-2011, 14:50   #71
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I remember a friend living on his boat and redoing the interior. Every time he needed something he had to move a ton of things, then put them back, then move them again to get at something else. It was so frustrating that he finally sold it, then did the same thing on another boat. He had a tiny little living space and stuff jammed in wherever he could get it jammed. Not much progress was made before he moved up the coast and I lost track of him. I guess if you like that kind of thing...
Exactly Berg... been there done that and its a pig when your living aboard... even on a 37ft boat which is what I had at the time.. stripping the lining outa the forecabin and trying to keep the rest.. galley/saloon/bed crap free was a nightmare... had to trek everything thro' my living space... it was hell in the saloon/galley..
Go for a decent interior you can live with for a while... no leaks.. the outside work is much better...
Apart from that if I was you I'd take Zee up on her offer if you guys get along... she's offering you a head start in sailing and buying... also she knows some stuff so can be a huge asset when boat browsing along the way.. its a golden offer, don't turn your back to lightly...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 15:37   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Berg, you hint at emotional difficulties and I don't think living on a small boat for the first time is a great place to be when you are having emotional difficulties. Get yourself healthy and balanced, then look for a boat and start making weekend trips, then longer trips and stay aboard for a while. Then you will know whether you can handle it. Some people liken living on a sailboat to living in a cave. Do you think you would like living that way? It might be great, but it could be very depressing if you ended up not liking it.
Old 13-01-2011, 15:58   #73

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Berg, you've gotten a fantastic opportunity from Zee. If I were in your situation, I would jump at it and for some practical reasons- not just the fact that sometimes when you are down an adventure is just what you need.

You will get the opportunity to learn to sail. FOR FREE. This is huge. Secondly, Zee can use an extra set of hands so not only will you get to learn quite a bit about boat repair and maintenence but you will get to help her. I've been through depression and what really, really helped more than anything was feeling useful and needed.

They sell boats in Mexico too.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 16:19   #74

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Hey Burger King (and maybe others)-
I knowed a man who had a daughter that he loved more than many men could love a daughter. Bad things happened to her and resulted in seven stints to an adolescent ward over a two and a half year period.
On her last admission, doc's said they would probably keep her. Dad didn't sleep for weeks making calls and scouring the inter-net. Finally, he was able to cross that fine line, entered the very depths of hell, and found his daughter (figuritvely) and bring her home (figuritvley and literally).
But it wasn't over for poor dad. The devil still had a hold of one foot. Three days later, it took a swat team to put dad in an ambulance. He spent three days in the big boy ward and did several months of therapy before he recovered from his little journey.
That was about six years ago and dad and daughter are happy and functional. They fight often as normal families do but no meds or other associated nonsense.
When your mind ain't right is the worst time to find strength to eat right, exercise, and all that other chit they say ya gotta do. Do it anyway.
Keep talkin, be your own advocate for only YOU know how to fix you. Take only the meds you know are helping or don't take them at all if they're not. You know.
Treat yourself to a drive to see ZZzzz. It'll be a step in a healthy direction.
Best of luck-
Your man-friend-
Kenny Chaos
P.S.- When feeling really down, take a walk and look at all the wrecks around you.
It could always be worse, yes, it really could.
Chin up!
Old 13-01-2011, 16:20   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Berg, you've gotten a fantastic opportunity from Zee. If I were in your situation, I would jump at it and for some practical reasons- not just the fact that sometimes when you are down an adventure is just what you need.
That too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: