Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-01-2011, 13:59   #46
cruiser

yes, you may, and so is anyone else... i am on zoloft.. been on it for a couple months... i guess it works... but, i dubt a pill can take away the pain of what I and others like me are going thru... depression for 'normal' things/events is NORMAL... I wouldnt want to be devoid of feelings and emotions... I just merely want to be able to survive til the next good event or joke or pretty thing happens around me... so, at the behest of people like you and doctors i will take a pill twice a day... (and go to counseling), as that is my only chance to actually use my vocal chords now a days..

it's times like this that make me wish i drank and hung out at bars ... my thoughts about how depressed folks go to bars to 'tie one on' and to bend the ear of bartenders seem to think I could use the money i spend on my 'counselor' on something that might actually expose me to others who may share something that interestes me or enlightens me or makes me laugh... (my counselor doesnt seem to have too much of a sense of humor)...

and again, i know i dont have it real bad.. I know others have catostrophic issues they deal with, and all that.. but to me.. at 52 years old and having to start over and deal with all that i am is a drag... a big fat effing drag that no one should have to go thru... we should all be free and happy and all that good la la stuff...

I hope that my actions and comments here show that my efforts and goals are to find my own la la on top of the water... and to not wallow in my current misery...

Old 12-01-2011, 14:08   #47

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424
Just hang in there, Berg, it can happen.

Old 12-01-2011, 15:13   #48

Boat: Landfall 39 built 1982
Power to ya Berg every day is a step forward!
The work ahead of u may seem daunting but forward is the way to go. You may feel alone at times but keeping connection is important keep working toward "the" boat and keep posting.

Cheers Alex
Old 12-01-2011, 15:15   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Don't let a missing hose clamp on a boat be the end of it......thousands of boats spend years floating with only one clamp on the thru hulls. Hell, we've got 2 1.5" valves that won't close and have 35 year old hose on them..........next haul out fixes it, but until then I just keep an eye on it.
Old 12-01-2011, 17:50   #50
cruiser

Columbia Sloop Cruiser - eBay (item 290519392189 end time Jan-11-11 19:02:41 PST)

the seller seems motivated, but, his reserve was $20k... and now, he is dropping it to $18k... with owner financing...

Seems a little better condition then the one in NC, but, it is already in florida...

but that isnt worth $9k...

how about an offer of $10500 cash..... (after survey, which he indicated wouldnt be a problem and reccomended)

or should i offer more, with the hope that the survey will find some items that i could re negotiate???

I really hate negotiations...
Old 12-01-2011, 17:59   #51
cruiser

yea, its not the missing clamps or the stop cocks, it is the apparent choice to not disclose after i implored and explained the need ... and when there is a list of things to do, and i asked about what they would do next if they were to keep her and take care of her, and was reassured that the boat was basically pristine, then i must wonder what else do they know that they arent disclosing

the problem for me is that i think everyone will withhold something if it suits them... there is no 'fairness' implied or owed and our society rewards that all day long...

anyways, before i go off onto a big tangent...

i found the meaning of the yiddish/hebrew comment left and yea, I am ocean of wealth, or is that ignorance... hehehehehehe
Old 12-01-2011, 18:02   #52

Boat: mt34dt
This maybe a little small but if as advertised seems very reasonable. Catalina 27 Catalina 27 sloop, Beta Marine 14hp diesel, very clean! - eBay (item 350427665941 end time Jan-23-11 09:05:26 PST)
Old 12-01-2011, 18:08   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day Berg,

I have stayed out of this so far, but something keeps coming to my attention:
Buying or even making an offer on a boat that you can not personally inspect is a fools errand. Really! Even if you are not an expert surveyor, you and only you can tell if the boat appeals to you in general. Once that hurdle is leaped, then comes the survey and negotiations. IMO, you just can't do it by remote control... especially for a newbie.

You don't want to buy a boat nearby because you don't like sailing in California waters. That is ok, if a bit idiosyncratic. But, mate, once you buy the boat there in SoCal, it is an easy downwind sail to Mexican waters... warm, clear, and inviting (albeit nearly void of coral). Further, if you avoid the marina-bound folks who seem to be flocking there these days, the cruising fleet is full of helpful folks who would be a learning resource for you. Still further, again if you avoid the marinas, the cost of living is way lower than the US. Lastly, the travel costs if you or your daughter want to visit are pretty low.

What's not to like?

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Church Point, NSW, Oz
Old 12-01-2011, 18:10   #54

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Berg, the worst thing they can do with a low offer is say no...

The right boat is out there, I promise you. It might not happen exactly in the time frame you would like, but what in your life that was worthwhile happened quickly?
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 18:23   #55
cruiser

i gave up on buying a boat by remote a few weeks ago when i realized that i will probably be in florida before the boat could be bought over the phone... along with it being a fools excericise... hehehehe

and yea, i saw that 27' and between it being a little smaller it is in CT.. .sorry, wrong direction...

and idosyncratic.. hmm, damn, another word i gotta look up... i really hate my english teacher more every day!!!!
Old 12-01-2011, 18:25   #56
cruiser

ok, not far from the base word... and if you ahve been following my postings, then you know that the issue of my sailing in Cali water is not an isolated peculiarity...

hehehehehe
Old 13-01-2011, 10:18   #57

Boat: Hunter 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
i gave up on buying a boat by remote a few weeks ago when i realized that i will probably be in florida before the boat could be bought over the phone... along with it being a fools excericise... hehehehe

and yea, i saw that 27' and between it being a little smaller it is in CT.. .sorry, wrong direction...

and idosyncratic.. hmm, damn, another word i gotta look up... i really hate my english teacher more every day!!!!
We just got 2 feet of snow on top of 10 in. in less than one week so I don`t think it would very accessible although they don`t tend to get it as bad on the coast. It`s making for an even worse housing market and a long winter that we had hoped we would not have to deal with again.
Old 13-01-2011, 10:58   #58
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
berg--i STILL think ye oughtt o sail thru canal via mexicant waters and see what ye can find as ye learns to sail and skinnify up a tad with fitness in mined-- offer is still open-- and by the time ye get to islands, is awesome sailor and skinny assed dude on board-- will perk ye up good--the boats you are looking at will still b around, if not, others will be thgere--- is still and gonna be for long time, a buyers market. mebbe ye will see a boat that grabw your heart and yu cant think of anything else- then steart to look for one of those... boat buying is a job of passion, as opposed to practicality.. yeah, morgan oi is a roomy lil boat-- sails like a pig, i am told-- but then spozedly so does mine. lol. there is even a guy has one called flying pig..... they saail allthe time and seem to love their morgan oi. many voices sing many songs-- youhave to figure out your favorite tune. visual hel-ps. and the facr that east coast right now is ffffrrrooozzzenn--includint fla-- might really consider my option.... after we meet..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 11:05   #59

"The Perfect is the enemy of the Good"

Trying to find the perfect boat at the perfect price is an exercise in frustration. And unless you value your time at $0/hour you will never save as much as the cost of your time.

It's a shame that the last boat didn't work out but you're right to look for a boat that's had a loving owner. This will save you money and unhappiness in the long run. In my forty years of sailing, I've never heard of a single clamped hose coming loose (now hoses failing - that happens!). Still, it's such a well known standard that you have to wonder why a careful owner wouldn't address it.

Cruising on a sailboat is among the best things I can think of to make yourself feel better about a life well lived. Once you're out there, you're not gong to care whether you sweated the last $500 out of the deal. Since you're new to this, it's probably best to pay a little more for a boat that's in better condition.

Carl
Old 13-01-2011, 11:17   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
i am open to anything... and any help...

thanks

btw: found another one..

36'MORGAN OUTISLAND
I looked at this boat a few months ago , I would pass unless you want a hell of a project inside. The standing rigging is new ,the motor runs but is a mess.controls wiring gauges a nightmare nonfunctioning.leaks .needs complete paint top and bottom.And the new interior that they have listed is really sad,cheapest vinyl from walmart spray glued over everything.windows are 1/8th inch plex cracked and have been clear caulked repeatedly. No telling what the bottom looks like, but.... you can get it under 10k$ fridge not working either

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: