Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2011, 12:38   #151
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
guy loves his catalina waaayyyy tooo much.
my ericsaon is a better deal with her flaws.
san carlos, mexico is a better place to seek boats for deals. after the snotty yottie gets somewhere he doesnt wanna be and wife hates the boat and leaves saying--"is the boat or me-- bye i am leaving, " so man puts tail between legs and runs back to colorado or wherever and leaves boat in mexico for sale. go for it. sea of cortez is a good sailing ground

also--red flag if current/selling owner doesnt want a SURVEY!!!!!

BTW--SLIPS ARE TRANSFERRABLE--AFTER THE CREDIT CHECK AND 5 YR WAITING LIST RUNS THRU......IFF YE QUALIFY.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 16:33   #152

Boat: Hunter 426
SO! If Slip Transferable, (upon qualification) And it is in a slip now? Then you end up on a 5 year waiting list? So the boat does not get your foot in the door if it is presently in the slip? Once again, If I find a boat at a slip then there is no guarantee that it won`t get booted once it gets transferred in ownership regardless of credit?
tandem tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 18:38   #153
cruiser

it most definately will ease my mind as i dont know what to look for.. I can see the obvious, but dont know if they are important or not... and or how expensive or much effort it will take to fix/repair...

so yea, survey will be done,. i have heard that some surveyors might make a cursory review and let me know if it is even worth while to do a survey... that will be excellent..
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 18:46   #154
cruiser

yea, i had assumed that if the boat is currently slipped then there is no waiting list requirement...????

and any offer i make will be dependant on a reasonable survey report and slip approval.. I can not afford to get a boat and find out I cant slip it at that marina... period..

if for whatever reason i dont qualify or no room or whatever, I wont get the boat.. too bad...

anyways... I saw four boats this afternoon... arrgghhh.. 3 of which were not going to cut it... smelled of diesel, and one smelled of cat piss... another was 27'...

no more considering 27' way too small... I bumped the noggin three times and each time it effing hurt...

30 ' is perfect..

I saw catalina 30 and hunter 39

the cat30 for $17500 was sweet.... very sweet..... clean, full of stuff, dingies, kayaks, mob rescue hook thingy... radar, vhf radios, x2 clean, just painted 6 months ago..

leather or simulated leather inside...

and did i mention it was sweet

too bad it is about $5k+ more then other 30' boats... but the other 30' boats sucked...

dirty.. dull, not clean.. smelled of mold, sweat, dirty laundry...

arghhh

i can probably get the guy to come down to $15k, but I doubt he will drop moer then that... he kinda mentioned he would use it if it didnt sell... he has little kids and is busy so they dont use it like they want to... but dont look to be hurting...

oh well,

i hate negotiating...
Old 23-01-2011, 19:34   #155

If a boat is sweet and obviously cared for then what is it like to dig deeply into a boat that has not been well cared for.
Old 23-01-2011, 21:58   #156
cruiser

ummm yucky???

that boat that i looked at today that smelled of cat piss, would be scary to clean the bilge... arrgghh.. guess it's all nasty... maintaining the head, cealning out bilges... mold...

good thing I can handle that, at least i think i can... but i would rather start off with it clean and keep it that way rather then clean up someone elses gunk...

but, price is the issue i guess...

but for $15k, i am thinking florida will be better... my goal for looking in california was cheaper boats...

but since i am not in FL, maybe the boats that are cheaper in florida are yucky abnd dirty too?

btw, the bigger issue with yucky is that if the boat isnt maintained at that level, is it maintained mechanically, and sturcturally like it should? or as welll as the 'sweet' boat?

I am pretty sure that the nice boat i looked at today was well maintained...inside, outside , motor, everything...
Old 24-01-2011, 05:48   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
ummm yucky???

that boat that i looked at today that smelled of cat piss, would be scary to
btw, the bigger issue with yucky is that if the boat isnt maintained at that level, is it maintained mechanically, and sturcturally like it should? or as welll as the 'sweet' boat?

I am pretty sure that the nice boat i looked at today was well maintained...inside, outside , motor, everything...
That would be my point. Does the wiring look all neatly in line or more like a bird`s nest with a few pig`s tails poking about. Replacing things that are broken,worn out or missing can add up really fast. You are going to want to learn the boat by going through stuff but not by fixing and replacing it all. Let that come in time over the years.
Old 24-01-2011, 06:04   #158
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

LOL... now you know why we suggested looking at some for real... they look bigger in pictures...
As for exteriors.. they clean up with a good polish or paint a lot easier than an interior... scruffy but sound with a decent interior..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 07:24   #159

Quote:
but since i am not in FL, maybe the boats that are cheaper in florida are yucky abnd dirty too?
Yeah, pretty much. There are enough boats for sale in Florida that it is a pretty established market--you get what you pay for.

Of course, if you don't do your homework, there are lots of folks down here who will try to sell you a piece of junk for premium prices. And every now and then you can find a nice boat at a real bargain-basement price (although they are usually advertised locally, "for sale by owner", and go really quickly).

In general, though, the boats that are not "yucky" are going to command a materially higher price than those that are.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 09:31   #160
cruiser

well, if you see any for sale by owner in that neck of the woods, let me know... heheheh

andyea, i dont understand why folks dont clean up and wax/polish the hull.. seems like such an easy thing to do and will incease the curbside appeal... a bunch

i saw one that was more oxidized/faded then my old 69 datsun i had
Old 04-02-2011, 15:08   #161

Quote:
well, if you see any for sale by owner in that neck of the woods, let me know... heheheh

andyea, i dont understand why folks dont clean up and wax/polish the hull.. seems like such an easy thing to do and will incease the curbside appeal... a bunch

i saw one that was more oxidized/faded then my old 69 datsun i had
Have you tried to buff a hull, not exactly the easiest thing. Hours holding a heavy buffer up over your head. Also remember they are likely in about a similar position of depression you are about your situation (only they are trying to get out of a boat they cannot afford any more, not trying to get into one) and are not very motivated to do much to the boat they may not see a return on. To have it done will cost several hundred dollars they can't or don't want to spend. They may need a certain amount of money for something(what it may be is not relevant), so will not settle for less. There are many things that can contribute to a boat being up for sale. Smells are a big deal, they can be reduced, but for me (trained as a chef, so I am very sensitive to odors) never seem to be gone. My X bought a dirt dwelling (house) and I can't stand the smell, she does not notice.

It does sound like your demeanor is improving, perhaps the meds are kicking in, or it was talking to your daughter. I spent a couple of days in San Diego, really liked it. I went diving in Cabo, and saw nothing but dead coral and no fish. Water was cold for most folks, though for a guy from New York it did not seem bad for February! Nothing like Hawaii (my only other experience) but my brother who lives in HI, says the Caribbean is the only place he can dive without a wet suit, definite draw.

Hey you seemed worried about getting your medications while on a cruse in Mexico, I don't think that will be an issue as you don't really need a prescription for most drugs there, just go the pharmacy and pick up what ever your heart's desire is. Cheaper than most co-pays here in the US as well, for the same drugs made here in the US. As much as that does not make any sense.

One last thing is that if you have a bad back, you will be replacing the V-birth cushions on just about anything you buy. I would suggest a good memory foam mattress, cut to shape. (don't get the cheap stuff, especially if you are bigger as it will not last more than 3 months) Get at least 5.5 pound density memory foam and cut it to size with a foundation foam. Get in and out of all births to see if you can. Also make sure you get in and out of the head, if your back acts up it may be much harder in some than others. I would suggest actually pulling down your pants and sit down. May look strange, but gives you an idea. Look for hand holds throughout the boat as well, important if you are achy and the boat is rocking. Your bad back is what concerns me more than your state of mind, as it is not easy climbing around on a rolling deck without a bad back! Be careful out there.

Best of luck. Florida is about the last place I would want to live, but what ever floats your boat! (literally
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 16:18   #162
cruiser

thank you very much for the comments.. and I guess the meds are working, or the daughter, or the clock getting closero rwhatever it is...

I know i come off kinda 'out there', then most folks and that many are not familiar with me and are at odds as to how to take it... I am working on trying ot keep the private stuff more private and letting those that want to know ask if that is what they want.

Yes, i was planning on new mattress and I even saw some product taht goes under the mattress to make it more comfy...I have tried several v berths and the aft berth on a couple boats... I was in one aft berth that was very roomy.. more so then the v berth up front... it was nice...

I used to live in florida about 25 years or so ago and didnt like it...

But, what i didnt like is what i will like about it now... I hated the cost of living issues...I was in construction making $25/ hour in Hawaii, and California, and i moved to Florida and was in high demand, .. people couldnt believe the experience i had... and the projects I had completed, but, they pay scale was around $5-7 an hour...

It was crazy... stupid crazy...

I hated that most folks didnt seem to work and hung out at the beach..and or fishing...

I didnt like the weather.. it was humid... I was used to trade winds from hawaii, and the desert in California... but, I really dont mind that.. to me it is more healthy.. and better for me and my skin...

I was looking for a farm or country type of cabin in the woods or mountains...I have no cluse as to houw tofind them.. there isnt a cabinlivingforum.com or mountainlife.com

at least nothing i would be interested in...

it seems the paradox that farms and cabins are low tech and i am using the internet to find them??? yes, i am polish...

I have thought about living on farms and cabins and would end up wanting horses or farm animals, and all the work that comes with it and wondering about my back and health...

I thought about getting motor bike or quad and again, the back issues..

As far as i can tell, if i dont work out on a boat, i wont work out anywhere 'cept a care assisted facility

I am failry sure, I will love Florida, and other places like it
Old 04-02-2011, 16:30   #163

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
I would never expect to buy a boat that was not going to require lots of working on and fussing with (it's always something). I also cannot imagine buying one that I have not crawled all over. Further I would never use an old survey to make a purchase decision. Just my two cents and for what it's worth I bought a wood boat that is lots and lots of work (some folks think that's nuts)

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 17:00   #164
cruiser

i agree...I am getting recent surveys, and will use them as a 'TO DO' list...

tehre are some things i cant and wont do... I can do some electrical, and some mechanical work.. but am not prepared to do rebuilds... maybe change an alternator or other bolt on repair, but if it's on the bottom or up to my elbows in grease, then i will gladly hire someone...

I can do some electrical and run a wire or two or replace a switch or two, but not sure if i can put in a solar system with inverter, although it maybe a little easier then doing a house which is connected to the grid.

I hope to learn rigging and redo and organize the running rigging for me to run the boat easily and lazily..

I hope to paint and recoat teh boat with paints and epoxys...

An d i hope to learn navigation and rules of hte road and just getingout there and exploring..
Old 04-02-2011, 18:20   #165
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
i agree...I am getting recent surveys, and will use them as a 'TO DO' list...

tehre are some things i cant and wont do... I can do some electrical, and some mechanical work.. but am not prepared to do rebuilds... maybe change an alternator or other bolt on repair, but if it's on the bottom or up to my elbows in grease, then i will gladly hire someone...

I can do some electrical and run a wire or two or replace a switch or two, but not sure if i can put in a solar system with inverter, although it maybe a little easier then doing a house which is connected to the grid.

I hope to learn rigging and redo and organize the running rigging for me to run the boat easily and lazily..

I hope to paint and recoat teh boat with paints and epoxys...

An d i hope to learn navigation and rules of hte road and just getingout there and exploring..
wiring solar system isnt difficult..is easy....done that part in 3 boats... invertor is easy-- 2 wires, 2 colors, they match. easy.
is where they go and how they get there and the panel gives me rats. and the charger/invertor systems and some other stuff about electricity...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote