Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2011, 09:37   #136

Boat: 1985 Catalac 10Meter Serendipity, 1998 Nimble Wanderer "PJS"
Send a message via Skype™ to jannpage
Looks to me like a decent survey and recent enouch- Frankly I agree with what I have read. Try the penetrating oil and carefully ty moving the stopcocks. It woudl not hurt to have a sit of plugs handy just in case something comes apart. An old cal would not be my first choice, but it sure would not be my last either. I think you will have agreat deal of fun. Nothing wrong with not offering enough to buy it first time. YOu could always go back and offer more a week or two or more later. IN the meantime, look at more boats. A lot more. I put several thousand miles on the car when I am serious about getting a new "old boat".
I do find most V births are not comfortable for couple sleeping . My bigest gripe with sailboats.Enjoy. Cheers. Lloyd
jannpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 09:47   #137
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
berg-- there is a cal 34 here in sd for 5000...isnt bristol, but it is a good start--she SAILS and has done long passages with a prior owner, who i also know----anything needing done is simple and not too high to price-- just doesnt have an engine-- but an ob will work well....used to have atomic 4... therefore , not engined at present.. might be able to make a deal......cushiohns are ok, and layout is comfy.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 09:51   #138
cruiser

hey jan,

you need to read faster.. hehehehehe there are a few more pages ahead of you that will let you know, that the cal was sold the day i was gong to comit to her.

i have since decided to wait until i get to Florida or where i end up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannpage View Post
Looks to me like a decent survey and recent enouch- Frankly I agree with what I have read. Try the penetrating oil and carefully ty moving the stopcocks. It woudl not hurt to have a sit of plugs handy just in case something comes apart. An old cal would not be my first choice, but it sure would not be my last either. I think you will have agreat deal of fun. Nothing wrong with not offering enough to buy it first time. YOu could always go back and offer more a week or two or more later. IN the meantime, look at more boats. A lot more. I put several thousand miles on the car when I am serious about getting a new "old boat".
I do find most V births are not comfortable for couple sleeping . My bigest gripe with sailboats.Enjoy. Cheers. Lloyd
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 09:54   #139
cruiser

i saw that boat, and few others...

the prices are several thousand dollars cheaper on the left coast then in Florida...

im guessing teh economy is a bit tougher here right now? and or the water is colder and less enjoyable...

I guess ic an buy a boat here, but will work my ass off to get to warmer waters, and swiming holes i can enjoy...

i have been trying to figure out how much it will cost to sail to carribean? what say you Zee? how much for you to sail back ??? and how long do ye think it will take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
berg-- there is a cal 34 here in sd for 5000...isnt bristol, but it is a good start--she SAILS and has done long passages with a prior owner, who i also know----anything needing done is simple and not too high to price-- just doesnt have an engine-- but an ob will work well....used to have atomic 4... therefore , not engined at present.. might be able to make a deal......cushiohns are ok, and layout is comfy.
Old 23-01-2011, 10:12   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post

the prices are several thousand dollars cheaper on the left coast then in Florida...

im guessing teh economy is a bit tougher here right now? and or the water is colder and less enjoyable...

I guess ic an buy a boat here, but will work my ass off to get to warmer waters, and swiming holes i can enjoy...

i have been trying to figure out how much it will cost to sail to carribean? what say you Zee? how much for you to sail back ??? and how long do ye think it will take?
this cal isnt listed and wont be-- is a on the side listing in th water underground..LOL... many boats sold this way--is how i find my projects and other sailboats.
i am not certain how the expenses will run---- in gulf we didnt spend more than 600 per month on marinas and foods. in mexico, there are cheaper and better home grown veggies and some unidentifiable meats --lol--- good when boiled to death and made into soups and stews-- tasty stuff.. just dont look when ye buy....i try not to use gringo markets--makes a difference.
helpful hint-- mexican markets with meat(carnicerias) are best shopped in early morning hours, when is cooler and the meat is fresh looking. if a "formaldehyde" smell is noticed in the market-- do not buy. i use the local growers-- the folks grow veggies and sell in yards .. i use tortillas made in tortillerias in neighborhoods.... is good... so i am not certain how much i will have to spend monthly on htis adventure--but i will post on the way how much i have to spend for this and that on the way, as well as how to cook it and what is best in that area....as i am able... and how far to each place and bicycle vs other transportation method......

i STILL think this is a good time for ye to meet me and see if your initial impression is same as real ones--lol ye may just change mind again as to how to get to fla......
Old 23-01-2011, 10:27   #141
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I guess ic an buy a boat here, but will work my ass off to get to warmer waters
, and swiming holes i can enjoy...

A couple of thoughts, if I may:

1 - Pay very little attention to the asking price for any vessel, regardless of where it's located . . . it only means the boat is for sale, and will bear little resemblance to what the seller will ultimately be willing to take.

2 - If you buy something in California, you can sail to Mexico and find the warm waters you're seeking pretty easily. In my opinion, it's a more authentic cruising experience that the Caribbean and far less tourist-y (read, expensive).

The added benefit of cruising the Sea of Cortez and on down the Mexican west coast is that your daughter will be much more likely to visit regularly if you're "closer to home." Getting to the Caribbean from California is expensive and takes all day . . . in fact, if she can't fly directly into an international airport near your vessel, it will more than likely take part of a second day to reach you.

That might be a fun adventure the first time, but after going through the same drill returning to California, she'll probably be reluctant to put herself through it again.

Just my $0.02.

TaoJones
Old 23-01-2011, 10:37   #142

tao --you always make sense. and ye verbalizze so much better than i am able to....
san carlos is also a good place to find deals on boats-mexico...
Old 23-01-2011, 10:43   #143
cruiser

ok, i saw another cal that was motorless, (btw: quick side question... whats the difference between motor and engine?)

and yea, I have asked on several occasions about when a good time to come down would be.. it's up to you to let me know... I have some medical appointments this week, (Monday, and Wednesday), then next week, on wednesday... I am having some outpatient surgery... Im trying to get rid of whatever medical things i can before i hit the road.

Also, I thought you sailed here from the gulf, so I was hoping to find out how much was spent on that journey??? and if not, from you then others who have sailed from here to there...???

@Tao, yes, to all the above... the one thing missing would be corals, at least in the abundance of the carribean and beyond... warm waters are nice and all, and there are lots of fish and critters but not lke the 'touristy area', because that is why they are touristy areas...

My 'fear', or reluctance is that if it is cooler, like it is here along this coast in American waters, I will end up cabin bound... more then not... where as on that side, it will be the opposite..

but then again these are just teh thoughts of an un experienced sailor who has such issues of 'getting out there' in the first place...

so, really, no matter what, here or there, wont matter much, as the benefit of my just getting out there is great thing...

and as much as i want to remain positive about my daughter, i am sure for now, that this 'reunion' is short lived... she apologized, and i accepted, but the mantra and routine of the past has always been to 'show me'.. not just mouth the words...

so, I will do my best to remain positive, and to be optimistic and to not jade or sour the situation with negativity and will remain excited...
Old 23-01-2011, 11:09   #144

fishing is aesome in mexico and warters during sailing TO mexico-- the hugest yellow tail in history was found just off shore here - was 409 pounds. caught by a female. i will have my mexico fishing license so i can catch some of the fishies in these seas. this is an excellent cruising ground. the waters near mazatlan are 80 degrees , per my friends there. i am on my way asap... there is a bit 9of chill on hte way down--is one reason why i suggested coming with us on our trip to mazatlan and seeing how you are with a boat in seas and cold water-- there will be cold water in places even when sailing in warm water. just need warmies on board.
experience is gained thru going and doing-- the soithern waters of left coast are very rich and filled with seafoods. as 8is sea of cortez. and is not a mixmasterin seas , as are gulf and carib. those mixmaster seas can be a bitch when caught without being aware of them. i got pooped in them--was quite an experience. the seas are filled with life. all of them are. cold water fishies are tasty, as are warm water fishies. my new crew is also a fisherwoman. we can teach a lot-- she is a schooner sailor with 27 yrs experience. will be a fun trip.
grass is always greener--i have sailed in pacific and gulf and caribean. i offer a way to orient to sea life.. is all good... dont rush into anything rash or suddenly decided on.. research and figger until the last minuet-- ye may not feel as ye did earlier-- gotta meet folks in person afore knowing if ye gt along or not---i am going to carib and gulf because i have friends there and i love the area so much after having fallen in love with it there. i dont know about moving there cold. i do have friends in various places in fla and miss and ala..caribean...and teejass.....and mexico---and chessy and .......
i am not trying to sell my trip to ue--i may have already an inexperienced soul as a friend and electrician on board.... but i always can accept more. there are also others doing this who can be a training shiplet.... i am easy going but also have a focus on survival and progress... remaining off rocks and shoals is a good goal... i am not in any hurries or schedules other than my departure date.
Old 23-01-2011, 11:19   #145
cruiser

like i said before, i am waiting for you to tell me when ic an come down and hang with you for a couple days or so...

I want to see your boat before and during the repair, and am willing to make a couple trips dependng on when i gotta hit the road and be homeless and all that.. (about a month from now)

but before that, i am open...

If you go down to mazatlan or whereever for a few days or a week even, i would be interested, but need to come back... as my stuff will still be here...

so, let me know
Old 23-01-2011, 11:27   #146

my friends who live there in mazatlan come back and forth say is inexpensive to travel to and fro...I will research and let ye know- they are having problems with a health issue in offspring so they , one or other, commute between here and there....
i will have the mechanic with intelligence come here weds or thu for consult-- i will now more after this..
i recommend a large shiplet like mine for learning as is less discomfort than the cals , columbias,or other performance sailboats available for inexpensive purchase. but is an individual thing..
Old 23-01-2011, 11:31   #147
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
@Tao, yes, to all the above... the one thing missing would be corals, at least in the abundance of the carribean and beyond... warm waters are nice and all, and there are lots of fish and critters but not lke the 'touristy area', because that is why they are touristy areas...

My 'fear', or reluctance is that if it is cooler, like it is here along this coast in American waters, I will end up cabin bound... more then not... where as on that side, it will be the opposite...
I hate to say this, but the beautiful coral formations and abundant sea life in the Caribbean as you've described it was true once, certainly, but not so much today. And it isn't the sea life and coral that has made the Caribbean touristy . . . it's the fact that it's easy to get to from the American east coast and midwest, and the more populated areaas of Canada in the clutches of an oppressive winter.

Please avail yourself of http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/...1-10&dayid=526 in 'Lectronic Latitude from a couple of weeks ago for a nice description of cruising Mexico in the present.

TaoJones
Old 23-01-2011, 11:48   #148
cruiser

yes, i understand thta the coral reef in that area has been descimated by man and nature in the alst decade, which is why i have recently gotten involved with keeping reefs in aquarium and supporting reef organizations

I was hopeful that i could find places that are off the beaten path and or find soem areas that are 'better then others', and again, am/would be easy to please as i have the 'luxury' of not seeing what it was like before.. and will be impressed with what it is now...

I am a firm believer in that the earth has and will survive many of these 'swings' that we are seeing around us now... and that 'our collective' observation period is but a blink in time that this planet has encountered in the past...
Old 23-01-2011, 11:52   #149
cruiser

btw: just got a call from a guy that is selling a boat here in LA, at Marina Del Rey, and he ahs been advertising a boat for sale, CATALINA 30, and he has reduced the price from $16500 down to $11000... but he has been running that ad forever...

Catalina 30 looking to sell in the next 7 days Goood Offers!!

anyways, nice guy, and all that, BUT...

no to getting a survey...At first he said that the price was too low, and i indicated that I would pay for it, and he still said, no, the price is too low...

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

sorry,, feel bad for the fool that takes that boat...
Old 23-01-2011, 12:32   #150
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Any boat, no matter it's age will have a to-do list. If the engine is good, check a few things out. Check the mast base, or compression post if deck stepped. Get a quick-haul and look for hull issues. These are about the only things I'd be scared of. I bought a boat without a survey 2 years ago, typing this sitting at the nav station right now. So far, I have not found any problems that a surveyor would have.

A smaller, less complex boat, the less I see the need for a survey if you know a few simple things to check....but that's just me.

If you check the boat out for yourself and really like it (as in want to give your money to the seller), do a survey to ease your mind if it makes you feel better.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote