Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2010, 10:43   #31
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
You never indicated your budget, anyway here you go:

http://selkie.muttlets.com

WESTSAIL - CRUISING BOATS FOR SALE
selkie is a beautiful boat.. wow...

But it is a little bit above my budget, (unless i offer the 50% that someone suggested?)

I am pretty sure that boat wont sell for $15k

Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 10:58   #32
cruiser

ok, i am getting way more replies then i expected, WOW,. and thank you.... Seriously... I truly didnt know what to expect on this forum... I thought most forums would be kinda cliquish, and or rude to newbies like myself... I am glad to see I am wrong...

BUT, I am not used to communicating in this manner.. I have difficulty with names, and using aliases isnt helping me.. I also am having difficulty remember who said what... or if it was said to me or what?.... so, please forgive me in advance if i forget something or someone's name... Even under the best of situations/times, I have issues 'remembering' but this forum is a bit much.. but i will figure it out...

I know a lot of folks are kinda skeptical about my budget/price range, and i would agree... It seems kinda low, ($15k)... but, I see listings like this one

Search Sailboats for Sale

Seems good, seems reasonable.. and seems like something i could do, and keep on fixing and upgrading and completing with the money I have left over...

again, my priority is to find a boat to live on, and to move there, and then work on her and learn how to sail her while living at a marina, and then ultimately go out and find a good mooring spot to live off the hook?

please let me know your thoughts on this boat, and others in this range.

thanks

bill
Old 20-12-2010, 11:03   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia girl View Post
re: broker. When we bought our boat, neither party (buyer or seller) had a broker. I used BoatUS's settlement services ($525) and found it very helpful. They traced the title, handled the money exchange, and took care of all of the paperwork. Definitey worth every penny spent.
thank you for the info... great tip...
Old 20-12-2010, 11:05   #34
cruiser

25' swing keel sloop w/ trailer

here is another boat, again, I get caught up in the low prices...

I used to live in Hawaii, and would live there in a heart beat, if i could find a reasonable boat..

My concern would be repairs and parts and equipment being a bit more expensive in HI, then on the mainland...

but then again, i kinda think that the price goes up the closer you get to a marina, just because it is a marina...

I can be way off on that 'logic' but, that is the IMHO situation at the moment..
Old 20-12-2010, 11:35   #35

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
They look like good boats for the money for sure, hey, under 10k?? can't go wrong. The only thing is space and lack of it. Anything under 30ft is going to be tight at best, give this some serious consideration. Are you willing to live somwhere that you can't stand up fully in for example? Some sub 30ft'ers will have 6ft+ headroom in the saloon but many won't.

Back to brookers, with your budget, dont bother unless they genuinly have a boat you like. When buying anything under 10k, you'll get a better deal by being face to face with the owner and pulling out a load off greenbacks to show you're serious, should concentrate their attention too!
Old 20-12-2010, 12:05   #36
cruiser

ok, here is another ad,

Price Reduced on 26' Sea Ray

My first goal would be to live in hawaii.. I grew up there.. I know i can not afford to live there (at least not in a house)

But, i could do it on a boat, or in a marina...

I didnt really want a motor boat, as i think it is kinda expensive to operate, but, the price of this boat seems too good to be true???

any feedback will be appreciated

thanks

bill
Old 20-12-2010, 12:15   #37

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Price seems fair for an old tub like that but to LIVE on?? I'd say no.

Boats like that are comonly called 'day cruisers' for a reason, they're designed for day trips, not extended says on board.

Look at the interior, could you imagine just having those tiny slits as your only windows? And you'd basically be living in a 'bedsit' the size of a car parking space.

I would seriously consider trying to rent a 30ft+ boat somewhere for a week or two just to live on. You don't want to comit yourself and then find you hate it.
Old 20-12-2010, 17:11   #38

Boat: 1972 Tartan 34C Fleur De Mer
Bergovoy,

My only advice is to look carefully when buying a boat, a coke bottle is seaworthy and can cross an ocean but I wouldnt want to be in it. What I am saying is first make sure the boat you are looking at is capable of the type of cruising you want to do right now. An old friend once told me the best boat is the one you can use every chance you get. Some boats are designed to only be used near the shore, some for artic expeditions. There is no sense in buying a boat for the southern ocean if you are only going out for day sails or for over nighters. There are plenty of older inexpensive boats out there but let the buyer beware. Think of how much cash and sweat equity you will have to put into a Fixer upper. Other than that all I can say is you have to be your own advocate, do your own research and when you do get out there you will only have yourself to blame or congradulate. Good luck
CDunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 18:00   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I ageree with CDunc's good advice above. I notice you don't seem to have a strong focus as to what you want,- considering the country house in Florida; power or sail; moving to Florida; looking at boat listings in Hawaii. Maybe this will "gel" with your search I like the Cherubini Hunters and the $7K boat you highlighted would suit for the coastal cruising of Florida. This size boat could be kept at some of the marinas with liveaboard potential in Florida for ca$300/mo. untilities included. I think it would be wise to first live on the boat at the marina while you become accustomed to the life and the performance and needs of the vessel. More success at living on the hook would be likely later after shorter cruises. With the boat there will also be a very helpfull community beyond what is here online. Most cruisers are very supportive and ready to share.
Old 20-12-2010, 20:55   #40
cruiser

oh, i agree with the coke bottle analogy, and the observation of my being 'unfocused'... between not knowing one boat from another, and all that, makes it really tough

I really dont want a motor boat.. not my thing...

as to what i want to achieve... I want to coast in warm waters, and be able to jump into the water wherever and snorkel around and dive in some reef locations... and go between islands, the keys or the Hawaiin isles...

I may want to sale to jamaica or other carribean isles, and dpending on the boat and my experience maybe further south as far as i can go...

If Im in hawaii. I am guessing I will be 'stuck' there.. as i doubt I will ever cross the pacific, (on my own or in a boat i can afford)

I will be happy in small places.. I am 6ft. but, if i am in warm climates, i will be outside most of the time...

currently, not to get into too much of my crappy life, but i have been insde my condo, WAITING, for the last year... I rarely go out, and have given up on my bedroom for anything except sleep.. I live in my living room and HATE IT...

I have nothing to see in this area.. i dont care for malls and deserts, and crowds and traffic... I kinda dont like people..(not in a negative way, or a psychotic way), just not interested...

I would love to have a horse and ride through the country with a camping setup of sometype.. or an ATV, or a JEEP in the mountains...

I could camp out forever...

that being said, I would need to get to a 'town' to restock, and and get decent sleeping bags and cooking gear, as i cant rough it too much... No rubbing sticks, or anything like that...

btw: here is a couple more boats in hawaii..

AKAMAI YACHTS LLC (Honolulu, HI)&
Old 20-12-2010, 21:15   #41
cruiser

32' Trimaran

i am hoping I am not duplicating any boats here
Old 22-12-2010, 04:58   #42

Boat: Hunter 426
My first post:
I still got a house to be sold.
The first boat is cheap but the second one looks like it has everything you need at a price you can negotiate from. Both in Fla.
Good luck, Chris.
25' Helms sailboat

27 Catalina
tandem tantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 10:04   #43
cruiser

thank you for the feedback

anyone else??
Old 25-12-2010, 18:32   #44

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
I think it's hard to find available slips in HI for liveaboard use. You may have to buy a boat there with a transferable slip, and you're probably looking at Oahu (Ala Wai Yacht Harbor). Understand that catamarans and trimarans are often charged more because they're beamier (wider). Catamarans have the most room, followed by monohulls, and lastly are trimarans, which generally have narrower main hulls.
If you just want a 'home' on the water, look at an older powerboat (gas), which will be a heckuva lot cheaper than diesels, which are really more desirable because diesel engines last longer and cost less to operate.
If you want a sailboat, maybe look at an older Catalina or Hunter for more spacious living accommodations.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 18:43   #45
cruiser

thanks Snort.

I am kinda giving up on getting the boat on Hawaii... like you said. liveaboard slips are not happening there.. it's more then three year waiting list...

I am not skilled enough to cruise those waters as I would be able to in Gulf/South Florida...

If i move to Hawaii, it will be on the HARD in Maui... I can find rentals for around $500+

I can afford that... but, since i am not familiar with Maui, I dont know one area/neighborhood from another, so i will have to go there an just stay somewhere while i look

the good would be that i wouldnt save any of my 'savings' on a boat... but the bad is gasoline and groceries are thru the roof...