Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2010, 22:32   #16

Boat: Pearson 281
Go where he boats are so...
don't leave SoCal. I don't like it here that much either except for the sailing but you wil not find as many boats anywhere else as you will between Ventura and and San Diego.

Hang around marinas all the time, sail with others and make freinds. Time spent hanging out in marinas/with local sailors = that very good deal that does not come along very often like the Island Clipper in gorgeous shape that a guy here who has been around for a while got for $1.00

Atol is right the dollar is king. If you have the stomach for it offer half the asking price in cash

Take your time shopping

HOW ABOUT A CAT?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3k93mb3p95O35T45Z6acd3c9d614415e51418.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	22091  
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 03:10   #17

I think I need to know more about the picture.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 03:21   #18

Boat: Samson C Ranger - "Tin Cup" & Samson C-Farer - "Sam McGee"
Berg welcome aboard. Just took the dogs out here in Tampa, a sultry 35 degrees this morning.

If you are the handy sort of person that most country folks are and decide on the Tampa area, ring me up. I have a boat sitting on a mooring that needs a little handywork and would be willing to trade out "rent" for some maintenance.

Butler, you see that is the problem with those cats, you just never who they are going to hang around with.
smallyachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 03:25   #19

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Berg,
If you are, as you say, a "country boy" then you must pick your liveaboard environment very carefully.
There are ways of the liveaboard lifestyle that are very country, but rural in south florida will be impossible unless living on the hook away from marinas.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 03:29   #20

Butler, that surely is photoshop, no?
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 04:59   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
i can highly recommend the CAPE DORY 33 ft as a first little big boat, around the $20-30000 mark,2nd hand, performs really well,cheap to maintain,big enough for four,but easily single handed with the right equipment.

also check out www.crewseekers.co.uk plenty of sailing oppertunaties on the site..
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 05:06   #22

Boat: Westsail 32
You never indicated your budget, anyway here you go:

http://selkie.muttlets.com

WESTSAIL - CRUISING BOATS FOR SALE
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 07:48   #23

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
To answer your previous question, brookers are pretty much like car dealers. You don't pay them anything, they earn their money by taking a % commision off the sale price from the seller. Now, you can argue that the price would be pushed up a bit to cover this from the sellers point of view but ALL prices are negotiable anyway. The main advantage is that they will do all the paperwork, etc. for you and as someone who isn't experienced in boats and boat ownership, this could give you valuable piece of mind. It's also easier on the shoe leather as most brookers will have a few similar boats on their books, so you can see a couple at a time, rather than traveling all that way to see one from a private seller.

Again, the car dealership comparison applies, if you know nothing about cars then you'll get a better choice and piece of mind by buying one from them.
Old 20-12-2010, 09:09   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
Berg,
If you are, as you say, a "country boy" then you must pick your liveaboard environment very carefully.
There are ways of the liveaboard lifestyle that are very country, but rural in south florida will be impossible unless living on the hook away from marinas.
'much wisdom here from Endoftheroad; however, there's still much "smallville-country-Iowa" in South Florida if you are selective. There are a few opportunities in Monroe, Colllier, and Lee Counties up the west (Gulf) coast and many more possibilities if you include all of Florida. The trick is to avoid the "Tiki-bar" marinas and "Resort" areas. I like Boatman61's advice about the sailboatlistings site. I'm more of a fan of the individual search than the use of a broker, but you need some shopping knowledge. I would also caution against the steel & ferrocement boats,- there's a lot available in fiberglass that will be more kindly to the novice.
Old 20-12-2010, 10:21   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
I've tried sailboatlistings.com, but it has too many boats that have been sold LONG ago.

I bought my current boat on craigslist, I know some who bought theirs on ebay, I am going to look at several in Panama City...Florida over Christmas, but those are through a broker, but at least I can see prices in a lot of different places for similar boats.

Buying THE boat will take some time, but then, I won't repeat the process again for a long time, if ever, so I want to do it right.

I DO have a house in Florida for sale, in the country, if the cruising thing doesn't work out for you.

Any who... welcome to CF!
can you tell me a bit about your house in the country, in Florida?

I am pretty sure i cant / wont qualify for a home loan... hehehehe (erego my current situation)... but I might as well find out the info...

thanks

bill
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 10:23   #26
cruiser

umm,., are they 'freinds'??? gulp?
Old 20-12-2010, 10:25   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallyachts View Post
Berg welcome aboard. Just took the dogs out here in Tampa, a sultry 35 degrees this morning.

If you are the handy sort of person that most country folks are and decide on the Tampa area, ring me up. I have a boat sitting on a mooring that needs a little handywork and would be willing to trade out "rent" for some maintenance.

Butler, you see that is the problem with those cats, you just never who they are going to hang around with.
I am very interested.

Please let me know more about yoru boat, and what you want / expect me or someone to do on her...

I would be glad to work off rent or just pay rent...

Money isnt that tight really, but getting the oppertunity to be around other Yachtys is kinda a good thing...

thanks

b
Old 20-12-2010, 10:28   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
Berg,
thank you.. I agree.. but even living in a marina environment will be 'country'/rural compared to the condo i am living in/giving up in, currently. it is 40 ft from the 210 freeway, and 15 minutes from downtown Los Angeles...

I am so done with the traffic and city, and all that...

I hope to live on the hook eventually, and am sure it will be less then one year after i take the plunge...and I have been living out of boxes, ready to move or be moved for the last year already.. so, I am not concerned with the 'timing'..

thanks

b
Old 20-12-2010, 10:32   #29
cruiser

sorry, thought i did...

my meager budget is around $15k

I am sure it wont get me a lot, but, I am hopefull it will get me something safe, and clean...

I am a 'single dude' for life... I have been divorced for 14 years, and have been custodial parent for all those years... Now that my daughter is grown and moved out, it is now my turn...

I doubt I will have much company on board, so the boat will be all mine.. I hope to fix up the salon? for just myself... No need to accomindate more then 1 (or two)... and hopefully the loss of fixtures will reduce the weight, and give me more room...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
You never indicated your budget, anyway here you go:

http://selkie.muttlets.com

WESTSAIL - CRUISING BOATS FOR SALE
Old 20-12-2010, 10:32   #30

Boat: Westsail 28: Clementine
re: broker. When we bought our boat, neither party (buyer or seller) had a broker. I used BoatUS's settlement services ($525) and found it very helpful. They traced the title, handled the money exchange, and took care of all of the paperwork. Definitey worth every penny spent.
virginia girl is offline   Reply With Quote