Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 08:28   #31

Re: How to sell our "Stuff"!

I've recently done this - for the second time.

My method is easy: give away absolutely as much as possible; firstly to family and friends, and second as "FREETAGH" (free to a good home) listings. Basically, I only endeavour to sell items which are simply too valuable to give away. Generally, this is items which might fetch a sale price of $500 or more. Some lower value items may get sold, if I know for certain they will sell quickly, and with a bare minimum of effort on my part.

Unfortunately, when selling used items on the flea markets that are CL, Kijiji, and other online classifieds, you will experience a feeding frenzy of time-sucking inquiries about your listings, with few actually intending to purchase. You will avoid most of this by listing items for free, though still be prepared to witness the unspeakable sense of entitlement extant among your local neighbours. (Being told I was unfair and SELFISH for declining to deliver an item I had listed for free didn't sit well with me, elaborate sob story about the other party's circumstances notwithstanding.)

Once you've given away most and sold the rest, you will feel much rewarded, and hopefully minimize the amount of stuff that ends up in the trash.
LaughingWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:03   #32

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
Anybody tried commercial photo scanning services? I've inherited everybody's box of photos - like a whole closet full.
I've sent off a couple of boxes of prints and old 35mm slides to The leading photo scanning, slide scanning, 8mm to DVD video transfer service for scanning, and was very happy with both the service and the quality of the scans.

It's not exactly inexpensive... definitely could have saved some $ by purchasing a scanner and doing it myself. Then again, if I'd tried to go that route, it never would have gotten done.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:26   #33

For me it was pretty easy, though not very profitable. I have the kids come take whatever they wanted in the way of furniture and artwork and mementos. Then I took what I was going to be keeping primarily personal effects , clothing and such. I then hired an estate company to come in and liquidate everything else. They did all of the pricing, advertising, and ran the whole show. They also arranged for the things that didn't sell to be donated to a local charity, and then had a junk dealer come in and clean up what was left. I was not even present for the sale didn't want to be around it. Never regretted a moment of it. For me the whole process was well worth the commission and not having to deal with any of it.
FancieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 15:44   #34

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

We’ve made some baby steps! Donated 8 bags of clothes and Christmas decorations that we won’t be needing. It’s a start!
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 00:45   #35

Boat: Two Oceans Marine Gitana 43
Send a message via Skype™ to Shaunskie
Talking Re: How to sell our "Stuff"!

I found it really easy, I live in a slightly less developed country than the UK where I come from and I work on an oilfield construction project 300 kms from my temporary residence. I leave here in February so last hitch I put everything that was needed to be gone in the garage, then when I left for work "forgot" to lock the garage door. Worked a treat, well almost, they removed the remote controlled shutter door as well - that wasn't part of the plan. So now I have to buy a new one to hand the house back to the landlord at new year. But hey ho we had a good laugh in the pub about it.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:45   #36

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunskie View Post
I found it really easy, I live in a slightly less developed country than the UK where I come from and I work on an oilfield construction project 300 kms from my temporary residence. I leave here in February so last hitch I put everything that was needed to be gone in the garage, then when I left for work "forgot" to lock the garage door. Worked a treat, well almost, they removed the remote controlled shutter door as well - that wasn't part of the plan. So now I have to buy a new one to hand the house back to the landlord at new year. But hey ho we had a good laugh in the pub about it.
Now that’s funny! There are several places in the states that this could work for sure Good luck to you
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 17:51   #37

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
What about records? Wills, birth and divorce records, college degrees, titles, etc? What about family photos, particularly old books with grandparents ? This stuff adds up, I wouldn’t want it on a boat, but you can’t toss it.
With regard to 'legal' type docs, if you really want to keep these SAFE, I would recommend you put them in a Safety Deposit Box at your Bank. It might be 'free' at your son's house, but what if it should be destroyed by natural disaster, or fire?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 17:10   #38

Boat: never mind...

Haven't read through the entire thread, but here's my two cents:

I already have a storage warehouse that my kids can pick through when they're ready. The rest will go there when I'm ready to move aboard.

If you just want to get rid of it, I suggest an auction company. They buy items that aren't bid on so they're guaranteed to take everything/leave nothing behind. If they're honest, they'll tell you if they think it will be a successful auction.
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote