Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2016, 10:34   #1

How to rent someone's boat to live in

Hello!

My name is Eva and I am new in this Forum. I am a 27 year old marine biologist, who has lived in Ships and around the Ocean for the past 6 years. I came looking for some answers about living aboard, and I would greatly appreciate your help.

My partner and I are moving to the North San Diego area (La Jolla more or less) because we will be attending some courses at UCSD from September to December.

We are both experienced sailors and have worked in boat maintenance for some time.

We were thinking about finding somehow a boat of someone who would not mind renting it to us for a few months. We could pay some rent and also do some normal maintenance/repairs. We could also accept to be there for shorter periods of time.

Do you know where could I find some contacts to do so? Or, do you know any websites with some information?

I am a bit lost and I don't seem to be able to find the answers, and somehow I came across this forum.

Thank you so much in advance for all your help!!!! I am looking forward to explore some more of your topics.

Eva
Aveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 10:41   #2

Re: How to rent someone's boat to live in

About as common as finding someone who'll rent you their car for a few months.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 11:15   #3

I know people in other locations who have hosted volunteers to help them with their repair and maintenance work. Myself I have been living and taking care of a boat that was not mine.

I believe it could be useful for somebody who is going on a trip and wishes to have their boat well looked after, or somebody who is early on their building or repairs and needs a hand.

I do not think it is impossible! And I only wanted to know if somebody around could give me some hints about where to look. Thank you so much!
Old 17-06-2016, 11:29   #4

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Post your proposal at Marinas and sailing club bulletin boards. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Old 17-06-2016, 11:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Post your proposal at Marinas and sailing club bulletin boards. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
I think this is going to be your best bet.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 12:22   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Maybe look in craigslist SD under boats for sale. Boats sell extremely slow. It may be moored out and you will have to dinghy in to shore.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 08:53   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

You may do well the have something like a resume in hand. Someone may want a boat sitter but not someone that can't present themselves well. I'm sure a number of low lives may look for something like that. Approach it like you would applying for a job. Dock Masters at marinas might be a place to start asking? JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 09:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aveal View Post
Hello!

My name is Eva and I am new in this Forum. I am a 27 year old marine biologist, who has lived in Ships and around the Ocean for the past 6 years. I came looking for some answers about living aboard, and I would greatly appreciate your help.

My partner and I are moving to the North San Diego area (La Jolla more or less) because we will be attending some courses at UCSD from September to December.

We are both experienced sailors and have worked in boat maintenance for some time.

We were thinking about finding somehow a boat of someone who would not mind renting it to us for a few months. We could pay some rent and also do some normal maintenance/repairs. We could also accept to be there for shorter periods of time.

Do you know where could I find some contacts to do so? Or, do you know any websites with some information?

I am a bit lost and I don't seem to be able to find the answers, and somehow I came across this forum.

Thank you so much in advance for all your help!!!! I am looking forward to explore some more of your topics.

Eva
Try wandering the local docks and marinas looking for boats for sale. Yes, I know you might not want to purchase but suggesting a rent, lease or even lease option to buy can open doors. I just purchased a new (to me) sailboat off eBay (notorious for cash only transactions from a seller there on a time payment plan.
Too bad he is located in Sandusky, Ohio as he buys,sells and refurbishes boat there. We have partnered up to provide a boat service that sells, rents, leases and lease options to buy (predominantly sailboats in the 25' to 40' range). It never hurts to present an option to a potential seller as making monies on the boat that you want to sell beats just having it sit there. As you say you know boat maintenance, that could be an added bonus. Only down side of being a renter of a boat for sale is the possible/probable boat sale.
Also might check eBay for boats in your area that meet your criteria. You might even find one that is really cheap that requires some TLC through offerings from boat angel ( make sure you read the fine print on where it is, it's condition and ability to keep it where it is if you do as SD is a tough place to find inexpensive live aboard marinas and even mooring spaces (getting to be a lot like Florida where they have decided boats are an unwanted eyesore and liveaboard so are scandalous transients unwanted in upscale neighborhoods). Good luck with your search and if you really want to do it, don't give up, you can find something if you make the effort.
bruce v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 09:34   #9

Boat: Caliber 40

Here are a couple observations from a long time San Diego Liveaboard:

Quivara Marina (Mission Bay) is the only marina within easy commuting distance (11-miles and 30-minutes) to UCSD BUT they do not allow liveaboard because the entire Bay is a Park. There are a lot of "sneak aboards" in Quivara but I doubt a boat owner there would risk renting to a temporary person.

All the other San Diego marinas are on Shelter or Harbor Island and they are 13 miles from UCSD. We live on Harbor Island and my doctors are at UCSD. We plan on 45-minutes to get to UCSD anytime between 9AM and 5PM. It frequently takes 20-minutes just to get from I-5 freeway to Campus.

I frequently bicycle to UCSD but it is a 14 -mile ride with a fair amount of uphill work either thru Rose Canyon/Gilman Drive or thru Pacific Beach and La Jolla and then a long climb up Torrey Pines Rd.

I don't imagine the owner of any nice boat would want or allow renters to be working on their boat.

Slip rents in San Diego are very expensive - our 40' boat costs us $1,085 per month ($770 slip rent & $250 liveaboard & $30 parking & $15 electric hookup).

An indicator of the cost of renting a boat in San Diego - a Hunter 36 on the dock next to us rents for $195/night thru AirBnB. Two 38' catamarans on our dock rent for $250/night when the renter DOES NOT plan to go sailing.

Our marina has a 60' houseboat (very nice indeed) that is rented out for a week at a time. They get $2,000 per week ($395/day) and it is used frequently. https://www.vrbo.com/490402

My boat insurance would be voided if I rent you the boat and you cause damage or a fire.

Good Luck - it may seem to be a nice idea but I wonder if it is practical?
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 10:02   #10

Boat: 2006 Jeanneau SO 37

Check out AirBNB for "boats" or try Boatbound.
GulfportBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 12:36   #11

Thank you so much to everyone for your answers. I will look into all the options that you gave me!

As some of you have said, it may be difficult but I have to at least try. I will let you know if at the end it works out.

Thank you so much again for all your help!!!
Old 18-06-2016, 12:55   #12

Boat: Grampian 26

Sounds like a plot for a horror movie.
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 13:19   #13
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Understand that marinas have different arrangements for liveaboards vs. regular berthers. Meaning the price goes up for the berther when he lives aboard his boat. Further, in California, marinas are limited to 10% of their slips for use as liveaboards. In a place as popular with sailors as San Diego is, I would venture that most (if not all) marinas are already at their liveaboard capacity.

In short, Joe Berther cannot simply rent his boat to you as a longterm liveaboard and stay in the marina's good graces. There are hoops through which to jump.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 13:44   #14

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

It would be great if there were something like Couch Surf or Woofers or even AirBnb available for boats. If anyone wants to stay in Wellington, NZ, for short periods, you’re welcome to stay on my boat. It's moored right in the CBD. Just PM me.
Old 18-06-2016, 13:55   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I'm not sure about the horror movie plot? I am not sure a profession type might not be able to pull it off. Probably maintaining an upper class yacht. People pay for that. Exercising the engines, keeping the mold off the topsides and scrubbing the bottom wouldn't hurt. It may not be a fairytale? The type of owner isn't like me, one with money.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote