Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 19:22   #1

How To Manage Getting Prescription Drugs as a Liveaboard

I'm retiring to my 41' Ketch in November and headed for the Bahamas to be in the DR by June. I am trying to figure out how to keep getting my meds. I get them by mail now but can't figure out how to keep it going. What do liveaboards do to be able to accomplish this? Thanks in advance..
dmsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 19:45   #2
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37
Re: How to manage getting prescription drugs as a live aboard

We had the same problem ... here's a post on my blog about how we solved the issue... at least this year.... Revisiting: Held Hostage By Insurance for Medications | Commuter Cruiser

I think perseverance is key ... I guess it depends on your insurance ... David goes on Medicare this fall, so I'm sure I'll have to fight the battles all over again... Aaarrggg....

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 21:15   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I get mine 90 days at a time, and my doc trusts me enough to send my scrips to Target Pharm. when I call him and they ship to me airmail. probly not the best but works for us. just a thought
Old 11-06-2012, 21:33   #4

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
I get mine 90 days at a time, and my doc trusts me enough to send my scrips to Target Pharm. when I call him and they ship to me airmail. probly not the best but works for us. just a thought
That's how it works for everybody in a small community where I live. Health center sends all prescriptions to pharmacy (170km away) and they mail everything. Anyone you know can get the drugs from a post office and resend..
ps of course we get our health insurance part paid allready in the pharmacy so long they get the socialsecurity number with the prescription..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 09:33   #5

We were able to obtain a refill on my husband's blood pressure meds in the DR no prescription needed. We simply asked at the marina office and they arranged everything-even delivery to the marina (Ocean World). I was told no prescriptions are necessary for most drugs in the DR. You might be able to stock up there.
captjeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 09:49   #6

Re: How To Manage Getting Prescription Drugs as a Liveaboard

You're heading into hurricane ally in June?

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 12:21   #7

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Over the last twenty years we have had to deal with this in many countries. The good news is that unless it is a narcotic, most medications can be bought in a pharmacy outside the US without a prescription. just walk in and ask for it, especially in the DR. If it is a narcotic, you probably don't want it on board when checking in anyway. Then you go to a local doctor with your medical history which you brought with you and get them to give you a prescription. Having certain drugs shipped in from the US can be tricky and possibly illegal. Cruisers in areas you plan to travel will direct you to doctors in the area that understand your issues. If this is very specialized medication and not on anyone's illegal drug list, you can get your doctor to give you at least a 90 day supply and if refills are allowed, get the prescription in writing and have someone at home re-fill it and send it to you before the 90 days are up. Check with the local cruisers as to how best to ship it. UPS is terrible in the DR and most use DHL. In purchasing medications from Hispaniola to Honduras, we have never had a problem with quality or availability. Most are a fraction of the cost paid in US. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 09:16   #8

Boat: departure 35

My wife has ms and has to take an injection every other day. The manufacturer of the drug arranged for a pharmacy to Fedex it to us. With our last insurance company they always mailed a 3 month supply at a time but this new ones only does one month. They send everything. New syringes, drug, sharps container and all. We travel a lot and have never had any trouble getting the pharmacy to send it where we are. Hotels, the boat very often, home and families homes. Never been a problem.
rrranch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard