Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2016, 17:39   #1

Boat: 36' Cape Dory
How To Eradicate My Sailboat Of Spiders

I have recently noticed a lot of spiders setting up shop on my sailboat. This bothers me as I have spider bites showing up on my epidermis. Any thoughts on how to rid my boat of spiders?
vonchris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 18:43   #2

Re: How To Eradicate My Sailboat Of Spiders

They're pretty easy to knock out. I like to use a can of spider spray that's water based. Can't remember the brand, but look for water based on the can. I like water based so I'm not spraying too much gunk on and around my fiberglass.

Most spiders hide during the day, and every night they come out and build a new web. So, wait until dark, and go on a spider hunt. They show up really well with a flashlight. When you see one, spray it. Directly on the spider. No need to overdo it. They take a while to die, so don't wait. Just move on to the next spider. Doesn't take long to get all the spiders on your boat's exterior. Well, with the exception of the ones that are living up by your spreaders.

Then, move on to your dock. Give every last one of them a quick blast. Note where their favorite spots are on the dock and pilings, and give those areas some good prolonged sprays. The next spider to walk where you sprayed will get it on it's feet, lick it off, and die.

Got a dock box? Open it and spray in there. It's one of their favorite daytime hiding spots. The spiders like areas like the underside of the rim of the dock box lid for hiding out during the day. Spray it.

This is a two-pronged way of getting rid of the eight-leggers. Direct spray and preventative spray on the dock and other hiding spots. Another place they like to hide on some boats is under the lip of the hull to deck joint, but I don't like to spray a bunch of stuff on there. You can expect all the spiders that hide there to come out at night, and get sprayed one by one.

When you've done your boat and your side of the dock, hunt them down on your neighbor's side of the dock, and do preventative spray there. Also, if you have a lighted shore power pedestal, that'll be spider covered, as the light attracts tasty bugs. Spray it.

If you have a dodger, another place they like to hide is inside the zippered sleeve that surrounds the dodger support rods. You can unzip these during they day. Be careful, right? Unzip it quickly, and give a good spray. Yuck.

If you're lucky, your neighbors on either side will see your spider free boat and do the same.

It's easy to eradicate spiders, as they are not a colony insect. It's every spider for itself. They're not like cockroaches where you kill the visible ones and there a thousand in hiding. The spiders come out every night and sit out in the open. It's like they're made to be killed.

This method seems to get rid of 99% of the spiders. Kill them one night, and then check again the next night. Gone! They'll slowly make their way back, so you'll just have to keep up with them and re-treat as needed. You'll quickly get a sense of how often they need to be treated.

If you travel to another marina for an overnight stay, make sure you go on a hunt after dark. You don't want more spiders climbing on your boat. It's amazing how they can take over again, if you let them.

We used to keep a boat on a mooring. We took an overnight trip and stayed in a marina. Spiders boarded. We returned to our mooring, and then didn't use the boat again for a few weeks. The next time we went to the boat, as we started to remove the sail cover, big, fat spiders started dropping out of the sail, hitting the deck with a thud. We smashed so many of them, we were getting sick to our stomachs. The boat had an outboard. Spiders started crawling out of the outboard and other areas around the transom. The outboard became totally, and unbelievably covered with spiders. I threw a bucket of water on them to knock them off, and seconds later, it was totally covered again. There wasn't a square inch on the motor that didn't have several spiders on it. Never saw anything like it before or since.

Good luck.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 19:15   #3

Boat: Vagabond 14

The general purpose way to get rid of spiders is find out what they are eating and eliminate that...

The spiders are there (and multiplying) because they found a plentiful food source. That means some other bug...
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 21:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurninTurtle View Post
The general purpose way to get rid of spiders is find out what they are eating and eliminate that...

The spiders are there (and multiplying) because they found a plentiful food source. That means some other bug...
Okay, they eat anything that flies that isn't too much bigger than them. Flies, gnats, mosquitos, mayflies, moths, and much more.

So, you figure a nuclear weapon will do the trick?
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 01:00   #5

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
How To Eradicate My Sailboat Of Spiders

I am a believer in CO2 for most pest control.

Not a big fan of poisons.
Old 17-05-2016, 05:07   #6

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 42 schooner

We have had good success with cat flea collars. Wrapped around places like stanchion bases and chainplates where they build webs, the tag ends cut off and then stuffed into small spaces where they hide during the day. You can buy them in quantity from on-line retailers.
rogern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 05:17   #7

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

A handful of gecko's will soon sort them out!

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 05:31   #8

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
I am a believer in CO2 for most pest control.

Not a big fan of poisons.
Could you share how you use CO2 for pest control? Seal up the boat and pump in CO2?

I'm not a fan of poisons either.

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 17-05-2016, 07:07   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i vote for the gekkos. they work well and when food gone, so are they......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 07:27   #10

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogern View Post
We have had good success with cat flea collars. Wrapped around places like stanchion bases and chainplates where they build webs, the tag ends cut off and then stuffed into small spaces where they hide during the day. You can buy them in quantity from on-line retailers.
I'm +1 on the flea collars. This works on most crawly bugs. Cut the long ends up and place around, and in your boat, in bug happy places. No mess!

replace every 6 months or so.
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 07:29   #11

Put the boat on a mooring or at anchor away from land or go cruising for a couple weeks.

Removes the flies they feed on and they die off.

Happens every time I buy or build a boat.Infested with spiders from land/flying insectsj, then once i start using it, away from docks/shore, everything dies off.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 07:43   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurninTurtle View Post

This is very true,I had a case of brown recluse spiders & I can tell you that little bugger has a serious bite! I got tagged twice! I was ready to burn the house down! Pesticides don't work well ,they kinda go into a dormant state & just wake up when the gas clears..definitely screen for other critters,.they are there to eat..I tented the house for termites & they told me that still wouldn't do it,said saturation level was not high enough.bottom line was small sticky traps like for mice,& blunt force trauma, which was my favorite felt like I was getting a little Revenge you know.geckos might be cool for a while. ..I also used compressed air to flush em out,it was WAR!!!! Good luck! Co2 not a good idea
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 07:44   #13

Boat: TBC

They sell a spider repellent here in the UK which is made from the essence of horse chestnuts (conkers) I've never had occasion to use it but I've heard from other sources that spiders don't like chestnuts.
FilBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 08:04   #14

Boat: S&S Loki Yawl 38'

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonchris7 View Post
I have recently noticed a lot of spiders setting up shop on my sailboat. This bothers me as I have spider bites showing up on my epidermis. Any thoughts on how to rid my boat of spiders?
While it seems to be less effective on spiders, I have found that keeping a good number of boric acid tablets about eliminates any bugs (especially roaches in Florida) setting up shop on the boat with the exception of sugar ants! Boric acid is used as a buffer in eye drops..not very toxic to humans so low risk. Good luck.

James
Lokiyawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 08:46   #15

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Most spiders can't bite through your skin. The argyiopes (boat spiders) can't.

I'm thinking that whatever is biting you isn't spiders.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat