Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2015, 05:13   #61

Boat: 55' sloop.
Re: How stupid is this idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I also vote for the Tartan as well. However, they both have Atomic 4 gas engines, which IMHO means they should both be much cheaper. Those are just the asking price. In today's buyers market, I think they would actually SELL for half of the asking price.

The Tartan has big double quarter berths, which means tons of storage space below for things like people and inflatable dinghies.

Seriously though, find a boat with diesel, or you'll spend all your time searching for gasoline.
Couldn't agree more. These appear to be WONDERFUL little cruisers in superb condition, whose only actual and main drawback is that Atomic 4 engine. Still and all, a pair of mates of mine sailed a much cheaper vessel with an Atomic 4 from Cali to Fiji over a couple of years… until that wee engine finally gave out, and they managed to find a buyer as a liveaboard in Fiji.

But what a pair of gems!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:25   #62

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

OK...I also did a quick check of the local ads, and found this in less than two minutes:

YOU CAN LIVE ON THIS BOAT | sailboats | Hamilton | Kijiji

Please note the price is in Canadian dollars... so with a little wiggle room on the price, and the excellent exchange rate between USD and CDN, it certainly falls well within your budget.

Solid full keel sailboat with rebuilt diesel. Just old and really ugly below. And its 40', with 4'3" draft, full keel.

Actually, it looks so good, maybe I should go have a look at it for me?

BTW, getting from Lake Ontario to the east coast (NYC) is an easy, enjoyable canal ride...certainly not an issue, and a great way to start your adventure.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:30   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
A Wharram would be a neat boat to do this in. I did a search in sailboatlistings.com between 25' & 30' under $12 K & came up with over 2,300 listings. Looks like a buyer's market.
I second that 100%! For two young guys planning to spend a year heading into and around the Caribbean, a Wharram would be just about ideal.

(I once spent a month cruising on a 30ft Wharram Tiki )

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:56   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smourt View Post
It is stupid not to go...

Go, you will get odd jobs everywhere... just don't get hooked on drugs... I know a few people in St Maarten who have fallen foul... Dont stop in the Carib, head down to Brasil!

Thumbs up for the Holdfast, it made me go sailing a few years back
Well… parts are nice. But the crime. Not recommended in my book. These are barely more than kids you know?
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 12-11-2015, 08:39   #65

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420sailor View Post
Thank you so much for all the advice, it really is helpful. We were hoping to start up in New England and work our way down to the Caribbean in order to get some experience before leaving the country. After reading all of the response, it seems that if we get a solid boat and a plan worked out this could be a go.
Best of luck and keep us updated as you are able, since I doubt you will have all of the high tech. gadgets.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:19   #66

Quote:
Sorry to nit pick, but Jessica Watson's Sparkman and Stevens 34 was a fiberglass vessel, not steel. She bought an old, used boat, of proven design and sailed it around the world. There are S&S boats, and similar, out there in your price range.
Not nitpicking at all. Thanks, you corrected a false impression I had that it appeared steel just going by looking at TV coverage at the time.

It was breathtaking to follow her last days of her voyage and arrival in Sydney live on TV. Especially as there had been people trying to prevent such a "young girl" (not my words or description) undertaking the voyage.
The "old men" of yachting won't acknowledge that she actually did a "correct" circumnavigation. She said that she had the impression that she had sailed around the world and of course she had.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:44   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Well… parts are nice. But the crime. Not recommended in my book. These are barely more than kids you know?
Kids are fairly durable and bounce back; unlike adults that are rather brittle. There are a lot of 12-14 year olds running around the world on their own. Whatever evil may befall them, will befall anyone regardless of age. My sister in law left her village in India at 14 and made her way to America, of all places. Graduated with an architect degree from Harvard. So if runaways from India can do it, these kids can.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:53   #68

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

[QUOTE=420sailor;1959438Is this a bad idea?[/QUOTE]
Being a 420 sailor...what could possibly go wrong?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:05   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Being a 420 sailor...what could possibly go wrong?
Would you rather have a short but fascinating life or a long but boring life? Either way you wind up dead for a very long time, perhaps even for eternity.

BTW: That is one interesting HR35. Never saw one like that before.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:27   #70

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Would you rather have a short but fascinating life or a long but boring life? Either way you wind up dead for a very long time, perhaps even for eternity.
Sailing is one of the safest sports around. If a sailor dies, its big news. You are much more likely to die in a car, any day of the week.

Live large or go home. No do-overs.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:33   #71

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
OK...I also did a quick check of the local ads, and found this in less than two minutes:

YOU CAN LIVE ON THIS BOAT | sailboats | Hamilton | Kijiji

Please note the price is in Canadian dollars... so with a little wiggle room on the price, and the excellent exchange rate between USD and CDN, it certainly falls well within your budget.

Solid full keel sailboat with rebuilt diesel. Just old and really ugly below. And its 40', with 4'3" draft, full keel.

Actually, it looks so good, maybe I should go have a look at it for me?

BTW, getting from Lake Ontario to the east coast (NYC) is an easy, enjoyable canal ride...certainly not an issue, and a great way to start your adventure.
And it's "Self Contained". That's a good thing for a boat.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:34   #72

Quote:
Sailing is one of the safest sports around. If a sailor dies, its big news. You are much more likely to die in a car, any day of the week.

Live large or go home. No do-overs.
In point of fact, evidently just sitting still is extremely hazardous to one's health. Add a soda pop with that and your dead. So sailing may actually prolong life. One advantage those kids have is that teenagers around the world look out for each other so they should have a grand time.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:50   #73

Quote:
I'd rather have a long; but fascinating life and I've made it so far to 77 (in a month).
To use a metaphor for life: Herreshoff wrote that a perfect racing yacht should completely fall apart as soon as it crosses the finish line with all its pieces failing together once it's task is completed.

Life should be, like that racing yacht.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:01   #74

[QUOTE=GrahamHO;1960930]I'd rather have a long; but fascinating life and I've made it so far to 77 (in a month).
To use a metaphor for life: Herreshoff wrote that a perfect racing yacht should completely fall apart as soon as it crosses the finish line with all its pieces failing together once it's task is completed.

Life should be, like that racing yacht.[

Enzo Ferrari designed his cars to only last about 500 hours; and they did fall apart as planned. The new Benz S550 are designed to last only about 3 years before becoming inoperable. If your rich, prove it by buying a car that will not last beyond its "newness" stage. Probably why i like big heavy cruisers and drive a honda crv. Nothing wrong with having a lot left over.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:14   #75

Quote:
Kids are fairly durable and bounce back; unlike adults that are rather brittle. There are a lot of 12-14 year olds running around the world on their own. Whatever evil may befall them, will befall anyone regardless of age. My sister in law left her village in India at 14 and made her way to America, of all places. Graduated with an architect degree from Harvard. So if runaways from India can do it, these kids can.
I was speaking of Brazil particularly. Hard to bounce back from a bullet mate. If you read my post above you'll see that I think that they should plan to go to sea, and make it to the Caribbean if they can. Good for your sis in law but I hardly see it as relevant to the security concerns in the likes of Fortaleza or Recife.