Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2015, 12:19   #76

Re: How stupid is this idea?

Enzo Ferrari designed his cars to only last about 500 hours; and they did fall apart as planned. The new Benz S550 are designed to last only about 3 years before becoming inoperable. If your rich, prove it by buying a car that will not last beyond its "newness" stage. Probably why i like big heavy cruisers and drive a honda crv. Nothing wrong with having a lot left over.[/QUOTE]

Ferraris did sometimes fall apart without planning. Sterling Moss had his Ferrari brake pedal fall off in a Mille Miglia race around Italy. With his co driver Denis Jenkinson they ended up down a slope near a cliff top against the only tree for miles around. Moss was very critical of Ferraris reliability then.

I think it was the year after they won that race for Mercedes at something like 10 hours for 1,000 miles. Around 1956/7.

Japanese cars for me!
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:58   #77

How I wish I had that idea at 18. It would offer you an experience no college or job could come close to. Good Luck.
dgarces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 13:17   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarces View Post
How I wish I had that idea at 18. It would offer you an experience no college or job could come close to. Good Luck.
It definitely matures a young person. Did in my case.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 13:31   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
I was speaking of Brazil particularly. Hard to bounce back from a bullet mate. If you read my post above you'll see that I think that they should plan to go to sea, and make it to the Caribbean if they can. Good for your sis in law but I hardly see it as relevant to the security concerns in the likes of Fortaleza or Recife.
Recife is a magnet for horny sailors; much like Singapore was back in the days before the Lee family took over. Probably not as dangerous as Detroit or New Orleans. But these are teenagers so most likely will not get beyond the Caribbean with all its enticing attractions. Plus tons of teenagers down there.
Old 12-11-2015, 14:48   #80

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
In point of fact, evidently just sitting still is extremely hazardous to one's health. Add a soda pop with that and your dead. So sailing may actually prolong life. One advantage those kids have is that teenagers around the world look out for each other so they should have a grand time.
Sitting is the new smoking.

Joshua Slocum came back from his circumnavigation 10years younger than when he started.

I also sail to stay young. Although it hurts more every year.

And finally, Jessica Watson totally rocks! She rolled that SS34...twice!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 15:07   #81

Boat: Hunter 36

I have one big piece of advice. No matter what boat you buy, get used to her before going out on the open ocean.

I do not know your planned course down here (I am in the Caribbean), but make certain what you can rely on, and what you cannot. Think of an extended shakedown cruise. Can you rely on the sails, or do they need to mended, or even replaced. Do you have an engine for backup? Is it reliable? How much potable water does she carry? Does she have a useable anchor, dock lines, running rigging? Does she have a working magnetic compass, GPS. Tablets and smartphones can make good substitutes. Can they be reliably charged? Do you have ocean or offshore rated PFDs? VHF Radio?

You lives will depend on the soundness of your boat, and your good judgment.

As for your course. I assume you plan to sail down the Thorny Path, down the Bahamas island hopping to the Virgins. It is called the Thorny Path because you will be nose into the Easterly Tradewinds, beating or motoring. The alternative is to pick a line about 100 miles S of Bermuda on Longitude 65 (I65), where you meet the trades, then due South. That's a two week voyage from the Chesapeake Bay. Unless you are both very experienced in bluewater sailing and know your boat is solid, please don't go this route. There is no way to predict a clear sailing window. You are out of range of VHF. You need SatPhone, SSB, or both.

Thorny Path
Your longest gap is 130 miles. The Moana Passage (between the DR and PR) is often rough going. Until you get to the Saints, you will be nose into the wind running South. After that the wind is on your beam. If you plan to Summer in the Caribbean be aware of hurricane season.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
KStepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 16:39   #82

Kstepman, if we started in New England and sailed down the coast towards Florida would this be the time to get used to the boat or should we do that before we head out?
420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 19:51   #83

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420sailor View Post
Kstepman, if we started in New England and sailed down the coast towards Florida would this be the time to get used to the boat or should we do that before we head out?
Your first task before buying your boat is to find out if she is seaworthy: that her hull is sound and water tight, etc. If not, and you do not have the time, money, or interest in making her seaworthy, then don't buy the boat.

Let's assume you purchased your boat, your next step is to find out what is wrong and right with her? Your next step is to take her out for a sea trial. You do this in confined, open water. (With a paid membership to SeaTow, or TowBoat US.)

Make a list of those items on the boat that must work before setting out. Sails, Rigging, Engine, Ground Tackle, Head, Galley, etc. if the sails' seams are going to rip apart, you want to have those seams stitched and any tares patched BEFORE heading out. Test you bilge pump. Does it go on automatically or manually?

When you are satisfied that all the critical systems on the boat have been repaired or replaced. Make certain that you have a good VHF radio, hopefully with an antenna up top your main. In case you need a tow. Or the Coast Guard. Be prepared.

When you BOTH are certain that your boat is seaworthy, and you know how she handles in heavy and light wind and wave, only then head out.

Here come the answer to your question, depends on where in New England you are. Your objective is to initially day sail, from one safe harbor to the next. Rule of thumb in a boat your size is 5 kts / hr. From where you are, can you day sail to the next safe harbor (with a boatyard and resources). Then the next then the next.

By the time you depart New York Harbor for Cape May, down the length of New Jersey you start to run out of convenient safe harbors, and if you started in Connecticut, you are out of sheltered waters, and daytime only sailing.

Once you get to Cape May, NJ, you have an option, to continue sailing down off shore, or make a run up the Delaware Bay, to the canal connecting it to the Chesapeake Bay. Of you go off shore, down the DelMarVa Peninsula, you completely run out of a safe harbor in an emergency, until the mouth of the Chesapeake. That's 24 hours. If you cut in to the Canal, you have the option of remaining inland all the way down to Florida on the ICW. it's more motoring than sailing. But, if your boat needs attention, the Chesapeake Bay is filled with boatyards and sailmakers, chandleries, cranes, etc from Annapolis to Deltaville, to Hampton. If you need them. And mike marker 0 for the ICW is in Hampton. Whether you plan to sail coastal, or the ditch, may I suggest that you initially do not go on the outside around Cape Hatteras and Diamond Shoals, unless you are prepared to stand off shore by 80 miles or more. It's nickname is the Graveyard of the Atlantic. You can use the ICW and jump out again at Beaufort, NC, South of Hatteras. On this trip, I would suggest that if you go outside, stay near coastal until you gain that confidence in your boats seaworthiness, and your seamanship. Many offshore cruisers will head directly to the Northern Bahamas from Beaufort, crossing the Gulf Stream as it curves off and around Hatteras. Personally, I would wait. Get some more sea time on your boat and you.

So yes. You can work on non-critical repairs and maintenance as you sail or motor down to Florida, if you start off cautiously, making certain that you start with everything working that you are going to need for a safe voyage before you head out.

That brings us to weather. When are you planning this voyage? I trust not in next week from Maine. You'll freeze. Instead, target getting to Hampton, VA or Beaufort, NC, by Nov 1 next year. Or find a boat now in S. Florida.

Any off shore sailing must consider the weather. Pick weather windows of safe sailing. If you go down the ICW, weather becomes less of an issue, but it is still an issue. You need to be able to see the channel markets.

You won't always be able to find an anchorage. So, be prepared to pay for a marina slip for the night. There are anchorage guides to the ICW. Make sure your ground tackle works and your anchor has good holding.

All down the ICW and the Bahamas, you can easily get by with 100'-120' of anchor line and a good anchor, with 15'-20' of chain. In the Caribbean, plan on 300'.
KStepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 14:33   #84

Thanks, we'll plan to sail around home as much as we can before we leave to ensure we know the boat well.
Old 13-11-2015, 18:05   #85

Quote:
Thanks, we'll plan to sail around home as much as we can before we leave to ensure we know the boat well.
Its not so much the boat as it is getting to know yourselves well. Its the degree to which you can handle or feel you can handle some very challenging, and sometimes frightening, situations. Anyone can sail, not everyone can keep their composure.
Old 14-11-2015, 06:39   #86

Boat: Creekmore 34

Glad You both have sailing experience. Is the dinghy sailing in 420 boats or does the 420 stand for something else? If so You better watch yourselves down island or You could have big problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
riggear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 07:06   #87

The dinghies are 420's but we will still be careful with drugs in the Caribbean, there are enough horror stories posted here to ensure we won't be smoking.
Old 14-11-2015, 15:51   #88

Quote:
The dinghies are 420's but we will still be careful with drugs in the Caribbean, there are enough horror stories posted here to ensure we won't be smoking.
Its got nothing to do with whether you do drugs or not. Its your luck in avoiding being run over, plundered, killed, or hacked into livable bits by smugglers. You will learn to avoid certain eye contacts, be respectful if not a bit subservient, and not display any form of wealth. If you look poor, most bad folks will leave you alone. Life has always been like that. If your smart, you will do fine and live well. And always back away from a fight, for the guy in front of you almost always has at least one on his side behind you.
Old 14-11-2015, 20:11   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Its got nothing to do with whether you do drugs or not. Its your luck in avoiding being run over, plundered, killed, or hacked into livable bits by smugglers. You will learn to avoid certain eye contacts, be respectful if not a bit subservient, and not display any form of wealth. If you look poor, most bad folks will leave you alone. Life has always been like that. If your smart, you will do fine and live well. And always back away from a fight, for the guy in front of you almost always has at least one on his side behind you.
All that applies in any country. Certainly correct not to display wealth. Take a tip from Joshua Slocum and spread carpet tacks on your decks at night when you are at anchor. Sweep them up in the morning. When in Rome do as the Romans.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 06:37   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post
All that applies in any country. Certainly correct not to display wealth. Take a tip from Joshua Slocum and spread carpet tacks on your decks at night when you are at anchor. Sweep them up in the morning. When in Rome do as the Romans.
Skip the tacks. Most of the drug runners are armed, and you really do not want to piss them off. The level of crime in the Caribbean is world class.

We dragged along three scuzzy tenders so our boat would always show at least two in the water tied to our boat. Kind of like the extra car in the driveway. Says someone is home. Old prams worked best since they self stow. Never got broken into while our fellow sailors had lots of problems with thefts.